PDA

View Full Version : bag training regime

Ikken Hisatsu
12-30-2003, 12:00 AM
not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not, mods feel free to move it :D

Recently got a kickbag for xmas, and I have decided instead of just whacking at it I would make myself a training regimen. Now I don't have school or training (even sifus take holidays :)) until february and I live in the middle of nowhere, so time isnt a big issue for me, just something to consider.
anyhow-

Left leg-
Roundhouse
hook
spinning back
spinning hook
back
crescent
thrust kick

right leg-
side kick
knee kick
low roundhouse
thrust kick

left arm-
front elbow strike
back elbow strike
forearm strike
ridgehand strike
knifehand strike
hook
reverse punch
palm strike
inverted punch

right arm-
front elbow strike
back elbow strike
forearm strike
ridgehand strike
knifehand strike
jab
backhand
inverted punch

I think that covers pretty much everything except knee strikes (cant do em on one of these bags) and I was planning on doing 20 reps of each, maybe 30 for the "bread and butter" attacks like the roundhouse, hook, jab and sidekick, and do a few minutes of shadow boxing and combination work. if Im tired by the end Ill start over. this is in a southpaw stance, but since Im left handed, to me its an orthodox :)

having said that, I would like a bit more of a repertoire for my right leg. snap kicks cant be done on a kick bag, and while I can get plenty of torque and momentum off my back leg, doing hook kicks/crescent kicks off the front feels awkward and has next to no power.

so yeah- any suggestions? I tried to put the moves into the most common terms I could but if you aren't sure what I mean feel free to ask and Ill try to explain :D

Pork Chop
12-30-2003, 06:18 AM
For starters maybe reduce the number of techniques because it looks like a lot, you might get overwhelmed. Better to have 3 techniques you work to death than 100 that you gloss over.

You may want to break it up into "tool refining" and "shadowboxing" routines.

For "tool refining" you're just doing massive reps of the same strike, eventually working up to combos. I know some people who do this for say 100 to 10,000 repetitions and others who do it strictly on a round by round basis (2 or 3 minute rounds).
50 is an easy number to start out with and then build up from there.

Feel free to split it up, some of the repetitons do slowly for perfect form, other repetitions go pure power, another set of repetitions go for speed of the technique & not telegraphing, and then maybe finish up with a set of all out, fast as you can, sprint set of rapid firing the technique.

For "shadowboxing" you're going to do it on a round by round basis & just free flow with techniques. Work on defense and offense. Work on technique, power, quickness/not telegraphing, and speed/endurance.

Not sure what kind of 'kickbag' you're using, whether it's free standing, but you have 2 options for snap kicks: kicking the bottom of the bag, or turning the kick over slightly (making it kind of a round house) and going higher up the side.

I spend a lot of time on my front leg as well, eventho it never feels enough. If I ever use a crescent kick, it's more of a quick jab with the front leg than a power shot; unless it's a pseudo axe kick with the power on the down swing. But that type of stuff is somewhat style dependent.

Good luck with it, let me know how it goes.

SevenStar
12-30-2003, 07:30 AM
d@mmit, Bmore - quit looking at my PC when I'm typing!:mad:

Pork Chop
12-30-2003, 07:39 AM
LOL

Ikken Hisatsu
12-30-2003, 01:00 PM
perhaps the list is a bit long..... I could do one day working the arms, then the next the legs. less reps on moves that I probably wont ever use (spinning hook, spinning back, ridgehands) Like I said though, I have plenty of time to kill.

as for the bag- its one of these, but about 2 foot longer so it nearly touches the ground

http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/kickbag.jpg

rubthebuddha
12-30-2003, 03:27 PM
like bmore said when he stole from sevenstar, really work a few of the techniques, as they will be your bread and butter. want to work the oddball ones? get the flow and coordination down so you can do them AFTER you've set yourself up with the bread and butter.

as in, don't do backfists by themselves much once you have them down. rather, jab cross something something backfist. that way, you're still emphasizing the important stuff first, plus you'll know how to follow it up, plus your body will be coordinated with such combos.