PDA

View Full Version : Why does JKD put strong side forward?

IronFist
12-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Just curious.

Also, why is the oldest post in this forum 12/03? Is it really slow or did it just get erased or what?

yenhoi
12-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Strong side forward = stronger, faster, closer to yur opponent. You also already 'know' 'how' to 'use' it better then the other lead by default ---- years of using it for most tasks.

:eek:

Vash
12-30-2003, 09:47 AM
What Yenhoi said.

As for the oldest post, here's the oldest I could find. (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4830)

It's from april, 2000. I think you have to display "from the beginning" in that little scroll menu at the first of the forum. It's in the bottom right-hand corner.

Peace!

rogue
12-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Strong side forward = stronger, faster, closer to yur opponent. You also already 'know' 'how' to 'use' it better then the other lead by default ---- years of using it for most tasks. I'm a righty but my left is faster, more relaxed. A person can learn to use their weak hand quite well as demonstrated by violin, guitar and piano players.

yenhoi
12-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Doesnt matter. Any person who has been "right handed" for any amout of time, is better at doing most things with his right hand. You get better at playing guitar, piano, violin, etc, by playing those instruments with THAT hand. Some people play the guitar right handed (like me) or can play both sides of the piano in the same hand notation (like me.)

I doubt that if you take a 25 year old right handed exponent of western culture, that his left hand will ever be "as good" at the same things the right hand is good at.

I think orthodox methodologys are very sound, I just prefer having MY stronger faster hand closer to the opponent.

yenhoi
12-30-2003, 10:19 PM
I like this article (http://www.dogbrothers.com/nlp.htm)

yenhoi
12-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Also... most "JKD" places do not teach strong side forward, at least at the beginner levels. At least most in my expirence of Inosanto lineage. I think it has to do with panantukan's emphasis on switching leads and manipulations. Everything is taught from a orthodox lead.

IronFist
12-30-2003, 11:30 PM
Good replies. I'm reading the linked pages now.

Vash
01-01-2004, 02:59 PM
The Dog Brothers read was interesting.

rogue
01-01-2004, 07:19 PM
I doubt that if you take a 25 year old right handed exponent of western culture, that his left hand will ever be "as good" at the same things the right hand is good at. You're right to a certain extent but anything can be trained or retrained. Currently I'm unlearning over 40 years of bad movement and have to be ambidexterous with my techniques. All those breaks I could do easily right handed I'm now learning to do left handed. So far it's more a matter of training than being impossible.

I think orthodox methodologys are very sound, I just prefer having MY stronger faster hand closer to the opponent. Preference does matter but the philosophy I'm learning now is summed up best to paraphrase Tony Blaur "Nearest weapon against nearest target". Our goal as karateka is to be able to respond to an attack or intercept it from any body position. The strong side forward rule in JKD always seemed at odds with it being free from the classical mess.

yenhoi
01-01-2004, 08:46 PM
anything can be trained or retrained

I agree.

The strong side forward rule in JKD always seemed at odds with it being free from the classical mess.

I dunno. I think this leads into a discussion of ranges, stances, and footwork. As far as myself, I am concerned with the small phasic bent knee position, light footwork, and agressive action. Strong side forward is just a refrence point. My lineage seems to stress ambidexterity, lead switching, infighting, and the backfist.

Phil Redmond
01-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Strong side forward probably came from Bruce's Wing Chun training. I've been taught this principle from different WC Sifus over the years.

Vash
01-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Didn't Bruce also have a substantial difference in his left side, in terms of speed and power?

LEGEND
01-04-2004, 11:34 AM
YES. Bruce had more power in the strong side forward stance...supposely before he died...he was quite good at both stances.