PDA

View Full Version : martail artist with bad back seeking advice on how to restart and continue training

joehyer
09-02-2000, 07:51 PM
Helloo, Iwould like to talk with anyone serious and commited to the arts.

------------------
Joehyer

jimmy23
09-02-2000, 08:23 PM
I crunched my back out several times i my life,at one point I had to take a few years where I did almost no training.
It is critcal that you find a way to strengthen your abs.Pilates is a good ,intense ab workout that you can build to.Also,find a way to stretch your hip flexors.These are the muscles that connect the front of your thigh to the front of your hips.Sitting in a chair all day,these muscles get used to being in a statew opposite to a stretch.The resulting lack of flexibility then pulls the spine out of alignment at the hips,causing no end to back trouble.Matt Fureys Combat Conditioing course has a lots of exercises that stretch and strengthen this area.
As with a knee injury(I have 2 of those too),a back injury will limit you to a degree,but can be overcome.Learn what you can and cant do right now.In time,you will be able to do more .Good luck,I know the pain and feelings of frustration that major injury brings.

Munz
09-04-2000, 01:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmy23:
Also,find a way to stretch your hip flexors.These are the muscles that connect the front of your thigh to the front of your hips.Sitting in a chair all day,these muscles get used to being in a statew opposite to a stretch.The resulting lack of flexibility then pulls the spine out of alignment at the hips,causing no end to back trouble.[/quote]

Jimmy you may have just cracked my problem /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks!! ... was wondering what might be going on. Do you have any ideas how to fix that up?? Or anyone else for that matter....
These sort of injuries are so annoying (to say the least)

JWTAYLOR
09-04-2000, 08:09 PM
Pilates is great for the back. My mom had a bad accident and hurt her back so bad she couldn't walk. She's been taking Pilates for about 4 years now, with marked improvement.

JWT

joehyer
09-05-2000, 02:15 AM
JW. please tell me,what are pilates?

------------------
Joehyer I ask this because,for one ,I don,t know and for two,I,m a steelworker in a bridge shop. I spend almost no time idle or sitting,my back promblem is because of years of bad lifting habits.I stretch semi regularly and still retain much muscular flexability.But now,unhapily,also have much pain along with that flexability. I think maybe what I am looking for,is how to configure my fighting to compensate for this (slight)? hadicap. Thanx

[This message has been edited by joehyer (edited 09-05-2000).]

jimmy23
09-05-2000, 03:46 AM
pilates is a method of abdominal work that hits the "powerhouse"the hips,buttocks,,lower back and abs.Look on Amazon.com for books and videos about it
To strech the hip flexors,stand in front of a wall, back to it.Lean back and bending backwards,grab the wall with your hands,and "walk" down the wall as far you can.This is just one of the stretches,there are many.
Personally.I have eliminated all high kicks and modifeid my stance quite a bit to compensate for my back.I tend to use a nuetral or thai boxing stance ,almost square with my opponent,one foot slightly in front of the other.I use mainly straight thrusting kicks along the low lines.I use a lot of boxing and tai chi footwork,the stuff is really great if taught right.get good at shifting your weight and moving .You actually can get pretty good at doing this .As a steelworker,you probably already have all the power you need,work on speed and fluidity.Oh,really work knee strikes if you can.good luk, I hope this helped.

joehyer
09-05-2000, 04:17 AM
Thanx much J23. I,d still like to know more about adjustingmy fighting style.

------------------
Joehyer

Brian_CA
09-19-2000, 01:17 AM
Dear Joehyer:

Speaking as a certified Yoga teacher and Body Rolling instructor, I would want to know more about your back condition. What area is the pain in? Are you experiencing any other pain? Have you developed knee pain or stiffness? Does your chest feel tight? Are your shoulders sore?

Should you decide and do pilates make sure that your instructor is a certified instructor. Ask them if the every have worked SUCCESSFULLY with a client with your condition back to health. Pilates is great, however I personally have found that is overtighen abdonminal muscles and the shoulder and neck areas. I would reccommend it for a short time. Then perhaps look for a really good yoga instructor. Try to stay away from Bikram Yoga instructors who became certified after 1996. There is a belief that Hyper extention of the knees that I have a major belief against.

If you are interested take a look at www.bodylogic.com. (http://www.bodylogic.com.) This is a Body Rolling site by Yamuna Zake. I have found that between my martial arts training, Regular Yoga practice and the use of Body Rolling I have healed most my Back, hip and Knee injuries.

Also a side note. Avoid any activity that may hurt your back! In you martial arts practice, stay away from sparring, the heavy bag, Kicking drills, extreame low stances. Use your martial arts yin side. Martial arts can be healing if you make it your intention. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Brian_CA
San Francisco, CA