PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Paul Whitrod's book!

David
12-30-2003, 09:13 AM
http://www.martialartschannel.co.uk/book.html

Chin Chung Cao
12-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi David, I don't know Paul Whitrod, but I aplaud his effert's to bring this little known art to the public. The time for so-called "secret" martial art's is long past. As my Sifu is fond of saying, " What good are "secret" martial art's when they can shoot you from mile's away?". SPM has gotten way to much bad publicity over the year's from immature individual's that have trained little and talk to much. SPM is not the see all, end all of Chinese Martial Art's, but rather should be seen for the no-nonsense approach it take's to combat. Hopefully more people will open up and come forward that truly have something of worth to say. Actually, I hate to make any remarks about SPM because they seem to have a way of turning into a 'Flame War". I think it's time for the SPM community to put aside all the petty squabble's and try to repair the damage caused by a few malcontent's in the system.

Ao Qin
12-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi David,

I just sent you a message through this forum's email.

Congratulations to Sifu Whitrod on this great accomplishment - the Hakka martial-art community is still poorly recognized in the West, but due to the efforts of your school and a few others who are willing to take such a risk, the Arts are growing and becoming more established with every generation!

All the best in the new year!!!

Ao Qin

David
01-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Well, it seems I'm not the only one who's excited/relieved to see this book finally out! I'll be gutted if he sells all of them before I get mine!

A couple of things raised in pm's should be clarified here...

1. Paul Whitrod is my teacher's teacher, the only time I train with him is at the occasional seminar. I have nothing to do with the publishing of the book.

2. To order, the correct way to address an envelope from overseas is as follows: -

Praying Mantis Kung Fu
27 Romford Rd
Stratford
LONDON
E15 4LF
UK

Rgds All & Happy New Year,
David

Bao Jong
01-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi all,
Does any one have any idea of how long the book takes to be delivered? Hate to be a pain, but i've been waiting for two weeks and I live in London. Maybe i'm just being impatient, been waiting for this book for a long time ;) .
Thanks to Sifu Paul Whitrod for finally getting his book out, and Chow Gar into public view.
- Bao.

David
01-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Bao Jong, if the book was released on 22nd December, how many working days do you figure there've been since then? ;)

I know I was already on holiday then and this is my first day back dealing with stuff. :cool:

Rgds,
David

Bao Jong
01-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Yeah...Um I knew that. :p

Falcor
01-05-2004, 10:45 AM
the website says only 1000 copies printed. So will that be it? 1000 and no more? Or will there be additional printings if the demand is great?

mantis-1
01-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Congratulations to Sifu Whitrod for all his time and effort to bring this art to the public, I understand how hard it actually is after trying to publicise and get our school seen and heard..

Regards

hey bao jong, hope to see you training soon new start for 2004

David
01-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Falcor
the website says only 1000 copies printed. So will that be it? 1000 and no more? Or will there be additional printings if the demand is great?

Who knows but I fear the worst. I long for the day when you can pick up an spm book in the high-street shops...

I heard there are 10,000 Chow students/practitioners around (seems a high number to me) and you can multiply that by ten if you include other mantis styles and related styles eg southern dragon, white eyebrow. That's a lot of potential buyers.

Multiply by ten again if you include npm ppl who buy it by mistake. :D

Counter that with the fact it's not advertised...

:confused:

Rgds,
David

mantis-1
01-07-2004, 10:10 AM
hey Bao jong.....

Don't want to worry you but I know that the initial 1000 books have already sold out... but he is ordering more batches so anyone who is wanting one I wouldn't leave it too long..... got my cheque in the post and have my fingers crossed... good to see the interest though....

:-)

Phu Le
01-08-2004, 12:03 AM
Bloody hell, they went quick didn't they!

Guess there goes any chance I have of getting hold of one...

And Mr Mantis-1 and Bao Jong, hope you both had a good Christmas and New Year...

Phu Le

mantis-1
01-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Hey phu hope life is treating you well over there... well not too well lots of chy sau by any chance? Heard it was going well........
Sifu Whitrod is ordering some more so I think that as long as the orders are coming in he will keep getting more printed, our hungarian friends are very interested in getting hold of a copy as well..... hope you enjoyed x mas and new year or will the real celebrations start on the 22?

keep up the training we are expecting you to come back and show us how it is really done....

tim

Ben Gash
01-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Paul Withrod used to do a huge range of videos. Are these still available?

mantis-1
01-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Yeah they are still available from the same address as in Davids last post (providing you know what video you want) or from

www.chinesegifts4u.com

there is quite a selection and they are pretty good...

regards

kshatriya
01-11-2004, 01:06 PM
hey phu!how are you?i have ordered the book and hopefully i will get a copy soon as!i hope i was one of the 1000. Anyway mail me asap on nkhednah@hotmail.com, wanna hear from you.

nish

waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

custom156
01-12-2004, 06:09 AM
I was recently given a copy of Paul Whitrod's tape demonstrating the set Sam Bo Gin. Very interesting. First time I have seen any Chow Gar Tong Long.

David
01-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by custom156
I was recently given a copy of Paul Whitrod's tape demonstrating the set Sam Bo Gin. Very interesting. First time I have seen any Chow Gar Tong Long.

Different innit :)

Nish, going to the seminar in feb in essex?

Rgds,
David

custom156
01-12-2004, 09:04 AM
"Different innit"

Well, no, not really! Yes, it is different, but compared to say Pak Mei Jik Bou or Lung Ying Ma Bou Chong Choi, not massively.

David
01-13-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by custom156
[BWell, no, not really! Yes, it is different, but compared to say Pak Mei Jik Bou or Lung Ying Ma Bou Chong Choi, not massively. [/B]
Ah, I should have checked your profile ;).

hehe.

custom156
01-13-2004, 06:15 AM
"Ah, I should have checked your profile "

Think ninestep ;-)

stimulant
01-14-2004, 05:07 AM
I dont know shifu whitrod, but I do know he is probably in the top 3 for TCMA in London (others being Lu Jun Hai shifu (mizong quan) and the other one being one of the many good wing chun teachers).

Glimmer
01-14-2004, 07:43 AM
Howdy fellow Chow Gar peeps..

Anyone got their copy yet? Any online reviews?

I emailed Sir Whitrod after ordering a copy almost 2 weeks ago and he reckoned I should get it this week sometime. Which is nice.

askinghands
01-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Did anybody get the book already??
There is very little talk about this book although all 1000 were sold out very quickly.

David
01-23-2004, 02:57 AM
I get mine next Thursday :).

hakka jai
01-23-2004, 04:45 AM
Hi Everyone ,
I got my book yesterday & it is bloody **** good esp the photos of the old days of yip shui & co & the stories.

Anyway , kung hei fat choi.

R
01-23-2004, 03:39 PM
I have a copy of Paul Whitrods first book. Have you seen both and is there a substantial difference between the two or is this a souped up version of the first?

I would like to say that his first book was quite clear and easy to go through.

It has been nice to see that no one has attempted to slag anyone else off as often seems to be the case on these forums.

Good work guys (and gals) !!!!!

R

David
01-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Just going by the headings, the new book appears to cover all major aspects of the style. I haven't seen it yet. The old one is good but had a limited remit.

Hakka jai - tell us more. :)

Rgds,
David

hakka jai
01-24-2004, 03:30 AM
It's the 1st book i have bought re sifu whitrod/chow gar.
it's contents cover brief intro,lineage ,2 man drills /chongs ,sam bo chin + applications & sections of other forms.Steps /stances ,hay gung & dip gwut gung,dim yuet/mak,san sau & photos of yip shui & of sifu whitrod.
Plenty to read .

Cheers
:)

askinghands
01-25-2004, 02:33 AM
Wow, that sounds great, Hakkajai. Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Hope I'll get it soon.

David, I'd send you a private message a couple of days ago. I think you forgot to answer. Could you mail me back, please.
Thanks in advance.

David
01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Wall to wall good stuff.

I love it. You'll love it.

Rgds,
David

askinghands
01-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Got mine yesterday. I love it.
Great book!!! Great photo's!!!
A real treasure.

Octavius
01-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Doh! The deadline is tomorrow! Is it too late to order one?

David
01-30-2004, 02:26 AM
What deadline?

I got one from the end of the current batch but more are being printed. Go ahead and order :).

Rgds,
David

askinghands
01-30-2004, 02:58 AM
According to a mail I got from Sifu Whitrod, It will be available after 31 jan but not for the special price.
The deadline is only for the price.

Dale Dugas
01-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Sifu Whitrod's book is excellent. many photos of GM Yip Shui and his son the new GM of Chow Gar Tong Long as his father retired a little while ago.

Nice to see someone who has knowledge of this once secret Hakka MA to give the interested people what they have been seeking for a long time.

A good read and lots of material to digest and learn from.

I give it two HUGE thumbs up for South Mantis players and peeps.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

Falcor
01-30-2004, 04:45 PM
How much will the price be after January 31? DO we order from the same wesite?

David
01-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Dale, tell it like it is, bro!

Jook Lum
01-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Very well done, I like it a lot. I know it is early but anyone
close to Paul know when the next book(covering more of the system) he refers to in this book may be coming out?

askinghands
01-31-2004, 02:00 AM
New price is now on the website.