PDA

View Full Version : So I beat up on a capoeira guy...

SevenStar
12-31-2003, 06:24 AM
nah, actually I didn't , but it made you look. In MT tonight, a capoeirista came by. his maestre is the capo guy that was in "The Quest" and now he's training with a local group. He gave a demo - awesome. He was doing the jenga while facing a concrete post, then did various kicks and maneuvers around it. finally, he did something that looked like a takedown, and I yelled "hey, that looked like a takedown" He then proceeded to show us various capo takedowns. I was impressed.

Volcano Admim
12-31-2003, 06:47 AM
excuse the volcano wants to put his finger on your
thread

"mestre"
"ginga"

mkay :cool:

SevenStar
12-31-2003, 06:52 AM
cool.

Christopher M
12-31-2003, 07:05 AM
I have no idea if it's useable, but good capoeira looks awesome!

truewrestler
12-31-2003, 07:19 AM
I've heard it is great for scoring with the ladies in the club... especially with glow sticks between your toes :p

Only The Strong is still one of my favorite martial arts movies

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 07:22 AM
The guy in 'The Quest' was pretty phenomenal. He's also in 'Shootfighter 2' which (embarassingly) I have on tape. He's the main baddie. Check it out.

truewrestler
12-31-2003, 09:19 AM
Wouldn't happen to be the guy who did the motion capture for Tekken 3's Eddie would he?

rubthebuddha
12-31-2003, 09:31 AM
eddie was coo, but xiaoyu rawked. there's just something special about kicking ass under the guise of a chinese schoolgirl.

anyhoo, back to seven's topic: any mt people battle it out, even spar, with a capoeirista?

SevenStar
12-31-2003, 09:40 AM
my friend has (not a guy from my gym) he said the capoeirista gave him a really hard time because he never knew where anything was coming from. He said he got a few shots on the guy, but he took most of the damage.

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 10:26 AM
If you're interested, Bira Almeida (Mestre Acordeon) has a really good book about capoeira history and philosophy. Well worth checking out.

For technique, Nestor Capoeira has a couple of good books.

Judge Pen
12-31-2003, 10:30 AM
There's a local school that always participates in our tournaments. I don't think they are the premier example of capoeria, but they are still pretty good. Their teacher doesn't seem to fight that well, but he has a student that could actually apply it in the ring.

I would think that they could do some damage if you weren't accustomed to their style of fighting. It seems they could take a knee out pretty easily with one of their kicks.