PDA

View Full Version : DC KFM gathering

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 09:42 AM
So Merryprankster got the bright idea that we should usher in the New Year with a KFM gathering at the Third Power gym in DC again.

Open sparring night is from 6:30 to 9:30pm. It's $15 at the door.

I just spoke with the manager, and he mentioned he's gotten calls from other people about that night as well. So it'll be hard to say who will be there and who won't. Have to wait and see.

Anyone game?

Stuart B.

Volcano Admim
12-31-2003, 09:45 AM
nah you can cancel it all already cos i wont me able to make it

Merryprankster
12-31-2003, 09:46 AM
Yeah... the call he got was from me, LOL!!!

rubthebuddha
12-31-2003, 09:48 AM
ralek will show up and own you all. i just know it. ;)

Volcano Admim
12-31-2003, 09:50 AM
sorry guys, i real dont like the date
call the guy and tell the whole thing is off

apoweyn
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Yeah... the call he got was from me, LOL!!!

That's what I thought too. But apparently there's someone else as well.

By the way, I didn't write 'Friday' in the original post. So, er, we're talking about Friday.

Go to the newly designed (and hopefully simplified) website:

www.apoweyn.net/martialarts/index.htm

There's a link for the Third Power gym for directions and all dat.

Chang Style Novice
Open sparring on New Years Eve sounds fine to me. And I could probably live without a champagne toast.

What worries me is - who are you guys gonna kiss for luck?!!?

Edit - oh, Friday, not tonight. Nevermind.

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 09:51 AM
What worries me is - who are you guys gonna kiss for luck?!!?

In my case, I'm guessing I'll be kissing a 16 ounce leather glove.

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
ralek will show up and own you all. i just know it. ;)

If he's to be believed, he moved to... Delaware or something. Of course, in Ralese 'Delaware' translates into 'ghettos of Philadelphia.'

But rest assured, I'll still be keeping my guard up if we walk by any lakes on the way to the gym.

Merryprankster
12-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Well, that's fine, if others show up. We can rotate in and out.

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 09:59 AM
Exactly.

Volcano Admim
12-31-2003, 10:09 AM
i dont think you quite understood this yet
i said i wont be there
you can cancel the event

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm going to pop over to one of the other forums and see if Legend can join us too.

rogue
12-31-2003, 10:26 AM
If I lived 60 minutes closer.:(

Oso
12-31-2003, 10:27 AM
bugrit, bugrit, bugrit...

ready to make the drive fellas but need more notice.

how's about setting a date in Feb???

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by rogue
If I lived 60 minutes closer.:(

One of these days, we'll meet up in your home town. No worries.

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Oso
bugrit, bugrit, bugrit...

ready to make the drive fellas but need more notice.

how's about setting a date in Feb???

Sounds good. Now that I'm finally getting these grad school apps finished up, I'll be a bit more organized.

rogue
12-31-2003, 10:49 AM
ap, how far is the gym from here?

Pork Chop
12-31-2003, 10:49 AM
The Bmore folks were planning on catching the fights tonite; other than that I have no idea what the plans are.
I need to call around but won't be able to until after work.
Lots going on tonite tho- my lil bro's coming into town; he and my new roommate wanna do whatever I'm doing tonite.
I really wanna make it down there but the scheduling looks like it's gonna be real tight.
Get home @ 5, call around, bro comes between 5 and 7, fight sometime between 8 and midnight, go party between 10 and 3...

I'll email you from home if i figure anything out.

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by rogue
ap, how far is the gym from here?

It's in downtown DC. I can make it from my place to your neck of the woods in about an hour and a half sans traffic. I'd bank on at least two hours to the Third Power gym.

:(

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
The Bmore folks were planning on catching the fights tonite; other than that I have no idea what the plans are.
I need to call around but won't be able to until after work.
Lots going on tonite tho- my lil bro's coming into town; he and my new roommate wanna do whatever I'm doing tonite.
I really wanna make it down there but the scheduling looks like it's gonna be real tight.
Get home @ 5, call around, bro comes between 5 and 7, fight sometime between 8 and midnight, go party between 10 and 3...

I'll email you from home if i figure anything out.

Just to be clear, we're talking about Friday here. Not tonight. Dig?

GeneChing
12-31-2003, 11:03 AM
Let us know how it all goes and be sure to post all incriminating photos. Have a safe and happy new years eve, everyone.

Pork Chop
12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
oops misread.

friday i'm gonna be out of town but i'll pass the word along to the others tonite... unless i decide to come anyway and go out of town once we're done... i dunno

FatherDog
12-31-2003, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately, I'll be upstate on Friday, with a friend who's going back to grad school on Saturday. Otherwise I'd love to come down and spar.

FD - after all, it's only three hours

apoweyn
12-31-2003, 11:09 AM
In the future, we'll have to plan further ahead so you guys (Oso, FD, and Rogue) can work something out. Sorry for the short notice.

Oso
12-31-2003, 12:53 PM
No problemo. What about the 3 day weekend in Feb...MLK or Presidents Day??? can't ever remember which one it is. That could work for me. It's not really that far away so let's do some planning.

meanwhile, you guys have fun !!!

Oso
12-31-2003, 01:00 PM
FD - hey, If I drive 7 hours you better be able to do 3 :)

btw, I'm supposed to be getting some roll time in w/ a bona fide catch wrestler. He's supposed to have trained under a Jernigan or Fergison...something that sounded like that, anyway. He was a guest instructor one night at my jujitsu class and is going to be coming in a couple times a month from now on. I fully expect this dude to tie me up in knots: he was very very smooth. Can't wait.

apoweyn
01-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Oso
No problemo. What about the 3 day weekend in Feb...MLK or Presidents Day??? can't ever remember which one it is. That could work for me. It's not really that far away so let's do some planning.

meanwhile, you guys have fun !!!

Well, I guarantee my company won't give us the day off. But I'm local, so it doesn't make much difference. We could probably work something out.

And that gives me time to get back into some semblance of shape. *groan*

Suntzu
01-02-2004, 08:39 AM
so... this is for tonight?....

apoweyn
01-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Suntzu
so... this is for tonight?....

that's the idea, yeah. I think me, Merry, and Shaolintiger are on board. I know BBanga can't make it. I don't think No_Know will be there.

And there may be another group there as well. Have no idea who they are.

Suntzu
01-02-2004, 09:07 AM
hmmm..... all my gear is at home... lets see how traffic is acting up tonight.....

apoweyn
01-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Cool.

It's been, what, a year since we last got together. We won't wait that long this year. So if you can't make it this time, no worries.

Merryprankster
01-03-2004, 07:04 AM
Well, it was a successful gathering of sorts. All we did was throw hands. But that's really all we were in the mood for. With my shoulder, I can't grapple and I don't really think either of us felt kicky...plus my fiancee wanted to work on her hands, so it all worked out.

Ap and I and my fiancee made it up to the gym and we all took turns beating the hell out of each other. Ap's a southpaw, BTW, and I don't think I like that much. Also, he has a pretty good left cross, and his footwork is pretty nice.

His head movement, on the other hand... :D

I am out of practice, with bad timing, and I almost fell out of the ring once. Luckily, for all of you, we caught that on tape and will be sharing it with the forum.

I'm sore.

Oso
01-03-2004, 07:47 AM
nice.

MP, if your girl will be there the next time let me know and mine will come with me as well and join in.

so, President's day is the 16th of Feb...how about something that saturday before?

2nd best bet would be sometime the 3rd week of march.

LEGEND
01-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Sorry guys. I couldn't make it...was out partying :(