PDA

View Full Version : Fighting in literature

Chang Style Novice
12-31-2003, 08:06 PM
Here's an excerpt of James Joyce's Ulysses that I read today.

-- Myler dusted the floor with him, says Alf. Heenan and Sayers was only a bloody fool to it. Handed him the father and mother of a beating. See the little kipper not up to his navel and the big fellow swiping. God, he gave him one last puck in the wind. Queensberry rules and all, made him puke what he never ate.

It was a historic and a hefty battle when Myler and Percy were scheduled to don the gloves for the purse of fifty sovereigns. Handicapped as he was by lack of poundage, Dublin's pet lamb made up for it by superlative skill in ringcraft. The final bout of fireworks was a gruelling for both champions. The welterweight sergeantmajor had tapped some lively claret in the previous mixup during which Keogh had been receivergeneral of rights and lefts, the artilleryman putting in some neat work on the pet's nose, and Myler came on looking groggy. The soldier got to business leading off with a powerful left jab to which the Irish gladiator retaliated by shooting out a stiff one flush to the point of Bennett's jaw. The redcoat ducked but the Dubliner lifted him with a left hook, the body punch being a fine one. The men came to handigrips. Myler quickly became busy and got his man under, the bout ending with the bulkier man on the ropes, Myler punishing him. The Englishman, whose right eye was nearly closed, took his corner where he was liberally drenched with water and, when the bell went, came on gamey and brimful of pluck, confident of knocking out the fistic Eblanite in jigtime. It was a fight to a finish and the best man for it. The two fought like tigers and excitement ran fever high. The referee twice cautioned Pucking Percy for holding but the pet was tricky and his footwork a treat to watch. After a brisk exchange of courtesies during which a smart upper cut of the military man brought blood freely from his opponent's mouth the lamb suddenly waded in all over his man and landed a terrific left to Battling Bennett's stomach, flooring him flat. It was a knockout clean and clever. Amid tense expectation the Portobello bruiser was being counted out when Bennett's second Ole Pfotts Wettstein threw in the towel and the Santry boy was declared victor to the frenzied cheers of the public who broke through the ringropes and fairly mobbed him with delight.

Read Ulysses online here (http://www.robotwisdom.com/jaj/ulysses/), with plenty of annotation, summarization and commentary to help out.

The WWW totally rules, man.

LeeCasebolt
01-01-2004, 03:37 PM
made him puke what he never ate.

I am so stealing this line...

MasterKiller
01-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Best fight scene ever is still Quimby vs Humbert Humbert in Lolita.

Chang Style Novice
01-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Post it, dude!

MasterKiller
01-02-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm not going to do a search on "Lolita" on my work computer! :p

Chang Style Novice
01-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Amazon.com now has the entire text of every book searchable on their site.

Just sayin'.

MasterKiller
01-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Important Message
Our Search Inside The Book feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. Click here for more information or continue shopping.
BTW, it's not available for every book.

EDIT>> Cool feature, but you can't copy and paste. Do a search for "gun," and read anything after page 297.

I rolled over him. We rolled over me. They rolled over him. We rolled over us.

both of us were panting as the cowman and the sheepman never do after their battle

Chang Style Novice
01-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Well, I believed the hype about their new search. Chuck would be so ashamed of me.

Chang Style Novice
01-16-2004, 10:32 AM
From "Everything I've Got Belongs to You" by Rodgers and Hart:
I have eyes for you to give you dirty looks.
I have words that do not come from children's books
there's a trick with a knife I'm learning to do
And ev'rything I've got belongs to you.
I've a powerful anesthesia in my fist,
And the perfect wrist to give your neck a twist.
There are hammerlock holds,
I've mastered a few,
Share for share, share alike,
You get struck each time I strike.
You for me- me for me-
I'll give you plenty of nothing.
I'm not yours for better but for worse,
And I've learned to give the well-known witches' curse.
I've a terrible tongue, a temper for two,