PDA

View Full Version : The Comprehensive Hate/Love America Thread

Merryprankster
01-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Here you go. This is the thread you need.

For those of you:
Naive enough to believe that everything that the U.S. of A. does is for some ulterior motive, that all the problems in the world are a result of too much U.S. intervention, not enough U.S. intervention and that the U.S. is the dark force of the world, determined through economic, political, military and cultural might to make the world in its image, who are completely ignorant of the legacies in world history that got us where we collectively are today, here's a place you can vent your spleen and spare the rest of us.

ALSO, a special 2-for-1 deal!!!!

For those of you:
Naive enough to believe that everything that the U.S. of A. does is completely altruistic, that none of the problems in the world are a result of too much U.S. intervention, not enough U.S. intervention and that U.S. actions are as pure as the Virgin Mary's poozle, bringing, joy, light, and freedom of choice to the human race around the world, who fervently believe that the history of the United States is untarnished with unjustified acts of violence, cruelty and political, military, cultural or economic manipulation, here's a place you can thrust your chest out, "shout love it, leave it, or get run over by it," and spare the rest of us.

Please save other, useful political threads and conversation for those of us with perspective.

Thank you.

Kristoffer
01-01-2004, 07:05 AM
"OOOOoo say can u seeee? La la laaaaaa la la laaaaaaaaaaa"

Mika
01-01-2004, 07:05 AM
:D

I am going to see this one through...

Not even 1.000 sensible books or experts could make the distinction, but sharing views and comments is always worthwhile when performed in a civilized manner.

This is probably the most complex thread ever. No one man could say: "Y'all, listen up! Here's the deal..".

Keeping all that in mind, good luck y'all..:D

//mika

PS. Merry, good one, though :)

Mr Punch
01-01-2004, 07:38 AM
Man, this political nonsense was OK until you had to go and bring religion into it too...! :mad:
MP
U.S. actions are as pure as the Virgin Mary's poozleI believe the above statement... but whaddja hafta go n start talkin bout that diseased ***** for anyway...???!!! :eek:

:D :D :D

quietly backs away...

rogue
01-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Too much **** Clark MP?;)

Bluesman
01-01-2004, 09:16 AM
We would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best in 2004! We have much to be thankful for and would like to extend our "best wishes and thanks" to the men and women of the US Armed Forces. Without their courage, devotion to duty and great sacrifices, we would not enjoy the freedom we so easily take for granted.
Gee, for a real two for one how about posting on the site where the above statement was taken? www.cebudanderson.com Just tell everyone what you really think. Or you could go to http://forums.flyingtigersavg.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro and rattle those old warriors too!
Oh, by the way, I think they may kick your @zz even though they are in their 80s and 90s.

old jong
01-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Many are not sure if they "love to hate or hate to love" the U.S. of A!....Let's think about this in the year to come!...;) Eh?...;)

(In a lighter political side; I preview some asskissing "à la Blair" from our new canadian prime-minister directed to the U.S. emperor!...)

Bluesman
01-01-2004, 09:23 AM
old jong, sounds as if you have been eating some bad Canadian beef.

old jong
01-01-2004, 09:30 AM
What?...No sense of humor in the NRA?...

Merryprankster
01-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Many are not sure if they "love to hate or hate to love" the U.S. of A!....

Well, that should be the answer... if the dissonance exists then it demonstrates a mixed record, no?

Chang Style Novice
01-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Since when does "America" do stuff anyway?

People do stuff.

If George Bush orders a bombing in Iraq, does that mean I bombed Iraq by virtue of being an American?

If you think so, pull your head out.

FatherDog
01-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Can we make this thread the sticky thread for a while? I'll toss in some plugs for martialartsmart merchandise if it'll help. :D

Ikken Hisatsu
01-01-2004, 01:16 PM
I dont mind americans really, as a people. I visited L.A. for a couple of weeks once, and on the whole people were quite friendly. although, the amount of overweight people was pretty alarming. Its strange to be of normal size and walk through the streets as a minority. And the flags on peoples front gardens was just plain weird. being proud of where you come from isn't a bad thing, however patriotism can be incredibly dangerous.

rogue
01-01-2004, 02:17 PM
If George Bush orders a bombing in Iraq, does that mean I bombed Iraq by virtue of being an American? To the people being bombed, probably yes.

Ikken Hisatsu, I don't mind you non-Americans either.:p

Christopher M
01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
There are people with perspective here!?

Christopher M
01-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Quad erat demonstratum.

Merryprankster
01-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Quad erat demonstratum.

LOL! How true!

I took one year of latin. It's geared towards reading Caesar in the second year. So, we learned a lot of war words. I learned "Decapitavit." To decapitate. How odd, don't you think?

Chang Style Novice
01-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey now, SC Guy is talking about hating GWB and his policies, not hating America.

And that's a language I speak quite fluently, ya know.

Christopher M
01-01-2004, 10:05 PM
I think you have to decide if you believe the important problem is that people organize into groups to demonize and attack other groups; or if the problem is that it isn't your group winning those confrontations.

If it's the former, then the attitude evident in the previous post here is precisely the problem, not a criticism of it.

Christopher M
01-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by sc_guy
Who give us right to attack the other?

Don't ask me, you're the one doing it.

rogue
01-01-2004, 10:40 PM
I love peace, but that's just me. War is a nasty thing that has to happen from time to time when the self interest of one group conflicts with the self interest of another.

Christopher M
01-01-2004, 10:41 PM
I appreciate that you were being sarcastic. But it seems like you're still drawing a line to divide the world, where you're on one side and the people on the other side should be hated. This is the same line that you say George Bush has drawn.

That you're on different sides of this line is inconsequential; I believe the problem is that the line was drawn in the first place.

BTW, I've never met anyone who truly loves war. I've met lots of people who hold belief systems that inevitably lead to war though - by drawing the aforementioned line. If you see the world as consisting of two groups where one must oppose the other, you're supporting war no matter how much you claim to love peace. Again, which of these opposing groups you concieve yourself as belonging to is inconsequential.

Chang Style Novice
01-01-2004, 10:53 PM
I do believe that there are truly venal, shortsighted, selfish people in this world. I dunno if this makes them "evil" in some philisophical sense, or if this makes me part of the problem. If it does, then so be it. I prefer to think that the real problems are venality, shortsightedness and selfishness.

Christopher M
01-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I prefer to think that the real problems are venality, shortsightedness and selfishness.

I dunno; the neocons don't particularly exhibit any of those qualities.

Chang Style Novice
01-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Venality - leaking Valerie Plame's status to the press.

Shortsightedness - running up massive budget deficits to fund a war with a nation that was not a threat to us.

Selfishness - Awarding contracts in a non-competitive process to your cronies.

Now granted, these are actions of a specific group of people, namely the Bush administration, rather than some nebulous label "neocons" but I hope you understand why I've cited them.

Christopher M
01-01-2004, 11:57 PM
I think you're succumbing to the common fallacy of judging a group's intentions based upon your standards rather then their own. Ie. you conclude they are short-sighted because you take them to be jeopardizing what you think is a good long-term goal. The error here is obvious: they are short-sighted or not based on their treatment of their long-term goals, not yours.

The neocon label isn't particularly nebulous, as it refers to both an identifiable ideology and intellectual/cultural heritage as well as explicitly defined groups of people (eg. PNAC). The Bush administration, on the other hand, is entirely inappropriate here, as this group contains a wide variety of ideologies and goals, some of them directly opposed to others.

David Jamieson
01-02-2004, 07:30 AM
This is the thread that never ends :rolleyes:

and now back to circular logic arguments.

give it up guys, please.
thanks
happy new year

Go Canada!

rogue
01-02-2004, 08:10 AM
That's the main problem. We need some leader who can make everybody on earth to "love American". Now there's a reasonable well thought out goal.:rolleyes:

Merryprankster
01-02-2004, 09:32 AM
This is the thread that never ends

That's exactly the point! Let THIS thread rage on. Let everybody who completely lacks any sense of perspective post here! (or for those of us looking for an argument and a good chuckle)

The rest of us can actually you know, discuss the merits and disadvantages of things rather than wave a flag or burn it.

chen zhen
01-02-2004, 09:55 AM
*makes "blah-blah"-hand movements at this thread*

rogue
01-02-2004, 11:38 AM
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting on it forever just because...

David Jamieson
01-02-2004, 11:50 AM
rogue, you are a strange man... but you will undoubtedly burn in hell for posting that.

p.s

Indestructible
01-02-2004, 12:22 PM
God Bless everyone, but especially Americans!:D

Vash
01-02-2004, 12:25 PM
I love America. But I hate what it's become.

Indestructible
01-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Vash
I love America. But I hate what it's become.

I know what you mean. All things considered, we are much better off than most with our civil liberties and our relative wealth. There sure are a heck of a lot worse places to be in the world.

Vash
01-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Indeed. We need a good ole' fashioned revolution to straighten everything out.

rogue
01-02-2004, 04:53 PM
I love America, but I hate what it's people have become. Folks if you don't like what America has become it's mostly your own **** fault.

Vash
01-02-2004, 05:04 PM
How about those of use who've not been able to vote?

And those of us who don't have guns?

And those of us who would hate, no matter what was wrong?

rogue
01-02-2004, 07:49 PM
How about those of use who've not been able to vote? Just because you can't vote yet doesn't mean you can't do things to make things better. There are many orgs that need volunteers.

And those of us who don't have guns?Learn to run in a zig zag pattern.

And those of us who would hate, no matter what was wrong? You could work for Dr Dean or move to France.:D

Vash
01-02-2004, 07:53 PM
"Just because you can't vote yet doesn't mean you can't do things to make things better. There are many orgs that need volunteers."

True.

"Learn to run in a zig zag pattern."

I'm bulletproof.

"You could work for Dr Dean or move to France."

I am not a fan of Dean, and I'm Creole, not fuggin French.

:cool:

David Jamieson
01-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Learn to run in a zig zag pattern.

it's very hard to target a person running in this pattern, but only from a couple of angles. (from the back | from the front)

side on, they are almost easier to lead as a target because the zig zagging actually slows down their line.

if the person knows where the shots are coming from, it's important that they know to run directly away or at the shooter if they are gonna ziggidy zaggidy.

but hey, that's america for you and I'm Canadian!

go canada!

cheers

Chinwoo-er
01-02-2004, 08:13 PM
~Left hand holds of victory sign~
" God Bless America !! "

~Right hand holds up fist~
" Down with America !! "

~Left hand gives right hand a benquan.~
~Right hand gives left hand a pingquan~

Yep, I feel so much better now.

Vash
01-02-2004, 09:02 PM
You shouldn't do that in public.

David Jamieson
01-03-2004, 12:50 AM
I'm as bored as Arnold at a town hall meeting discussing 3 penny increases to septic field cleanup rates in some county tucked away in northern cali.

These politics threads always have the same topics and players.

dredging around the same blah blah like a worn out movie star who hasn't changed her hash stained nightie since the forties.

bwhahahaha.

Good night nancy.

mickey
01-03-2004, 06:03 AM
Stap!... Stap it!

Nancy taught us to just say no.

mickey