PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Boxer (movie)

jun_erh
01-01-2004, 07:38 AM
The Shadow Boxer (1974) (http://www.pokerindustries.com/poker.store?page=item&sku=SHADBOX74-DVD)

I've been collecting the shaw brothers re-releases and had never heard of this one. It features rarely seen movie tai chi! The opening sequence features a little demonstration of some tai chi techniques, one featuring multiple attackers, and some of the scnenes have some authentic (ish) tai chi, mostly by way of the instructor showing the applications to his student as well as trying to impart the underlying philosophy etc How's that for a big sentence?

The second half of the movie is a little more cartoonish in it's characterizations, the main difference between the tai chi fighters and the kung fu fighters is that the tai chi-ers usually deflect a (one) blow before they start whupping ass. Interesting though is the running them of tolerance and pacifism as it relates to tai chi and the advantages and disadvantages of this. It's not like being in Yang Cheng fu's class circa whenever, but for a hong kong production form 1974, I'd say it's a pretty good try.

I got it for $8.00 on the vcd format. it's an old widescreen movie so if you have a tiny tv the letterboxing can be a bit of a pain, like 2.5 inches on top and bottom. I was happy with the product all arund for the price I paid and some of the girls in the movie were pretty too.