PDA

View Full Version : Tan Tui/Tam Tui Training Methods

mickey
01-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Since we were discussing Tan Tui in one thread, why don't we discuss training methods. I learned to train Tan Tui the following ways:

1- Slowly to feel the structure and transitions. Like Tai Chi.

2-Using dynamic tension to facillitate strength and
muscular development. Can be done with arm and leg weights.

3-With high repetitions of each line for endurance.

4-Using skill: speed strength and technique. Manifesting hard and soft. In a word: flavored.

mickey

mickey
01-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Oops, forgot one.

5- Endurance stance training. Move by move.

mickey

mickey
01-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi sc_guy,

The dynamic tension method is slow and that includes the kicks.

mickey

count
01-04-2004, 08:38 AM
First level, 4 deep breaths holding arm movements and 8 deep breaths holding the kicks. Stances as deep and stretched out as possible. Snapping kicks.

For a powerful addition, we might use the Hum, Hah, Heng breaths on the kicks.

Second level, Not so much holding postures but forward and backward grinding steps added.

Third level, two man fight set.

stimulant
01-04-2004, 09:49 AM
This is a little general as there are a couple of exceptions

In traditonal Tan Tui (10 not 12!) most the punches and kicks are done with power while the majority of stances and stance changes are done smoothly and relativly slowly.

The static aspect of the Tan Tui build rooting and strong legs and arms while the expolding from these static positions build speed and power.

If you see someone doing Tan Tui correctly you will notice the different speeds in the movements.

ngokfei
01-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Now this is a positive thread to benefit all.

mickey - isn't 1 & 5 the same or just similar?

count - havent thought of using all those sounds, can you explain further of when and where and their benefits?

stimulant - good point. Also the actual technique intention will set the speed and focus/power pt. demonstrated.

Only did it once but try doing the form (any method) on wet grass!!! Kind of resembles that idea from master killer. (sorry from my movie days).

Learned the 2 man set of chin woo but not too impressed with its applications.

What does the cha/mizong have as a 2 person set??

mickey
01-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi ngokfei,

No, they are not the same. Number 5 in the 12 (Chin Woo)line version is "Block and Strike".

You may be refering to the similarity between 1 and 6. They look similar but the energy is very different. The first section has the energy whipping upward, ascending; number 6 has the energy arcing downward, descending. I have seen other 12 line versions that do not feature this.

mickey

count
01-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ngokfei
Now this is a positive thread to benefit all.

count - havent thought of using all those sounds, can you explain further of when and where and their benefits?

What does the cha/mizong have as a 2 person set??
These sounds we use for various training purposes. Each one allows you to stress one of the three involuntary muscle groups in the abdomen. Say them and you will feel what I am talking about. When we practice Tan Tui, we usually do each part 3 times. r,l,r or l,r,l. That means that all but the 8th row have three kicks. And the 8th row has 3 sets of three. Just kind of adds some relaxed muscle tensing and power into the kicks.

The 2 man version, as I said on the other thread, are not the best applications or the ones we learn for this. Of course they are done with a mind towards continuing the form. But it is a separate 8 lines different than the first, that largly defend than attack the original form.

ngokfei
01-04-2004, 06:27 PM
mickey - sorry not clear enough, meant your 1-5 training methods of Tan Tui not the actual roads.

count - thanx. have to give it a try. Only being using the hah.

any resources for the other versions of the 2 person set?

mickey
01-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi ngokfei,

Yes. The differences are in intensity, focus and purpose. I would not think that that is all there is or I would not have started this thread. For example, the one for endurance can be done line by line the length of a basketball court or football field. And if you are kung fu crazed enough, it can be done for repititions of each line.

mickey

mickey
01-05-2004, 05:52 AM
ngokfei,

It took a night of sleep to understand you. 1&5 are different. Doing Tan Tui slow allows one to feel the interconnectedness between movements as well as between the upper and lower body. It also helps indentify the role of the waist in delivering power to the techniques.

When doing Tan Tui for stance training, it is mainly for the strengthening of the legs. There are circulartory benefits as well.

mickey

ngokfei
01-05-2004, 01:19 PM
mickey - thanks for the clarification. I thought that was what you were telling me but sometimes I need it spelled out. Guess I'm getting old or something.

GeneChing
01-06-2004, 10:29 AM
... but we did do one- and two-step sparring limited to tan tui techniques. Mostly we just did the form and the applications. We would also separate out the single lines and just do extended versions (as if the set isn't long enough already) - meaning instead of doing a R-L-R pattern, we'd double it to R-L-R-L-R or more. Also we'd just take the line out completely as a single drill and do it all the way across the parking lot. For fun, we did relay races a couple of times like this, which wasn't so great for the form itself since the technique really degrade, but it was good to get the class fired up.