PDA

View Full Version : General Question for the Forum

PT-Kali
01-03-2004, 10:08 PM
How many of you guys carry weapons on a daily basis, and what type?

I know all of you kung fu'ers are excellent fighters and probably don't NEED a weapon :eek: But seriously, just curious to what's floating around out there...

yenhoi
01-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I have a utility blade and a belt.

sometimes a balisong, but they are all taped up right now.

some wooden training knives in the car.

:eek:

SanSoo Student
01-03-2004, 11:39 PM
I have a Balisong underneath the plastic covering of the steering wheel in the driver's side.

Occasionally I will carry a tactical folder with me if I go to an unfamiliar bar.

Chang Style Novice
01-03-2004, 11:50 PM
I carry a 6 inch flexible whip that can turn into a 7 inch rigid club with me everywhere I go, even the shower.

SanSoo Student
01-03-2004, 11:54 PM
hehe...ur sex pistol?

D!ck slap any muggers :eek:

wentwest
01-03-2004, 11:54 PM
A BIG D-Cell type of MagLite in my car next to the driver's seat. The kind cops use. It's legal, and can illuminate your way in the dark. It can help you enlighten people who are in need of it too ;)

P-T Kali, I studied Pekiti-Tirsia Arnis in NYC for a spell. How does P-T Kali differ if at all? Where do you study and who is your Guro?

Always nice to see the various FMA's are being studied!

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2004, 12:00 AM
No one has ever attempted to mug me, and I haven't been in a real fight since sixth grade. I attribute this to 3 factors

1 - I'm big and don't look like I have money (which I don't)

2 - I'm not out much

3 - I mostly stay in pretty reasonable parts of town

PT-Kali
01-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Great (and humorous) responses so far :)

wentwest- I study PTK here in Texas. The PT Arnis I suppose is a little different (or maybe not?). We mostly train the Filipino knife art and a nasty "dirty tricks" type of Dumog which focuses on hardening the forearms, hand blade (i.e. shuto, willow palm), fingers, etc.

sent you a PM wentwest

wentwest
01-04-2004, 12:18 AM
P-T Kali,

Very cool. It sounds like it's the same art. We did a lot of work with the sticks too.

Now that I'm in LA, I am studying Giron Arnis Escrima/Bahala Na (as well as Wing Chun). Similar stick work, but less work with knives... ah well... I'll get back into that down the line when the opportunity arises I'm sure.

PHILBERT
01-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Other than keys and my belt, nothing.

SifuAbel
01-04-2004, 01:19 AM
I carry within me the most potent weapon imaginable within my body everyday, a can of hormel chili. :p :D

Oh and a bat in my car. :p :cool:

rubthebuddha
01-04-2004, 01:28 AM
PT-Kali -- which city do you study in? i may be in the market for a texas school, if my fiancée gets her way and i move there. ;)

Ikken Hisatsu
01-04-2004, 01:30 AM
I have an assortment of weapons in the boot of my car (cant be arsed taking them back inside after every lesson)

so yeah If I ever get into a gang fight we can load up on the weapons and lay some smack down (or more likely jump in the car and burn rubber)

PT-Kali
01-04-2004, 01:44 AM
RTB- Depends on which city you're looking to move to: I'm sure there are PT Kali schools all over Texas, but two of Grand Tuhon Gaje's top instructors are in Dallas and San Antonio.

rubthebuddha
01-04-2004, 02:21 AM
austin, if i do. san antoner was too humid (of course, i was there july 6-8 of 2002, right after the floods), and my girl dislikes dallas. regardless, at least it's not galveston. :cool:

but austin's pretty darn nice. prettiest city i've seen in texas thus far, and i'm used to living in beautiful places:

bay to baker (http://admissions.wwu.edu/photos/4.jpg)
aerial (http://admissions.wwu.edu/photos/125.jpg)

PT-Kali
01-04-2004, 02:34 AM
RTB- Austin IS the nicest city in Tejas. Don't know alot about Austin but I do know they have a great Praying Mantis school there.

rubthebuddha
01-04-2004, 02:41 AM
sc guy -- consider it sent.

pt kali -- sanka. not much into mantis right now, but who knows where my studies will take me.

firepalm
01-04-2004, 03:47 AM
Phaser... but it's never set to just 'stun'! :eek:

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Hmmm...Mr. Wang?

Liokault
01-04-2004, 07:45 AM
LOL my girlfriends sister just came round and told us that 2 guys tried to mug her boyfriend.

Now this guy is only a small guy (5'10 10 stone) and he stypidly walked home late at night across a large park.

The funny thing is that he was walking home from his viking re-enactment club (he is a geek uni boy) so was still wearing his chain mail and carrying his sword (think he had a sheild but do not remember if she said we had one or made one after) .....he kicked mugger ass that night but this will probably be the first and last time he kicks and ass.

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Is that one of those nerf-swords made with a mop handle wrapped with foam rubber?

Anyway, great story!

Liokault
01-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Nope, it was a more or less real sword (but blunt). She says he wears his chain mail shirt all day every day now.

PT-Kali
01-04-2004, 10:43 AM
The standing question is: Will the chain mail protect him from "chi" strikes?

Royal Dragon
01-04-2004, 11:07 AM
No, metal is an electro/conductive, the Chi willpass right through it, and probably amplify it as well.

In other words, he's toast. :D

Indestructible
01-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Liokault
The funny thing is that he was walking home from his viking re-enactment club (he is a geek uni boy) so was still wearing his chain mail and carrying his sword (think he had a sheild but do not remember if she said we had one or made one after) .....

One of my old instructors had a guy wave him to the side of the road looking for trouble. My instructor was in a rush that evening so hadn't changed out of his Gi after class. My instructor got out of his car with Gi on, the trouble maker got back in his car and drove off. Evidently costumes work!:D

Ben Gash
01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I was forced to pull over on my way home from an S+M night. One look at a 6'3" 200pounder in a gimp suit and he was gone :D

Liokault
01-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Ben Gash

Yeah, I was forced to pull over on my way home from an S+M night. One look at a 6'3" 200pounder in a gimp suit and he was gone

What Ben Gash did not point out was that the "robber" only saw the guy in the gimp suit when Ben was forced to pop open boot (trunk I think you say in the USA).

SaMantis
01-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Weapons?

I work in a federal building so I can't carry any type of weapon inside, not even a pocketknife ... I carry a totes umbrella instead, in my hand at all times. I also carry a pair knitting needles ... yes knitting needles ... at night in my coat pocket.

WanderingMonk
01-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by SaMantis
I also carry a pair knitting needles ... yes knitting needles ... at night in my coat pocket.

You are the Invincible Asia? hahhaaa. you have to read alot of Jin Yong's novels or watch the movie to get this joke.

wm

Bluesman
01-04-2004, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yenhoi
[B]I have a utility blade and a belt.

Ok, it is late and I am tired so I missed read this at first glance. Did anyone else at first read it as utility belt as in Batman and Robin?

PT-Kali
01-05-2004, 02:01 AM
knitting needles???? WOW, thanks for the idea...I'll have to add that along with my Spyderco....

cool

SaMantis
01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
:)

Spyderco & knitting needles ... a winning combination!

now I gotta go find a copy of Invincible Asia ... glean a few new moves (heh).

GeneChing
01-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I packed in High school and college - knives, chains, I was really into those high impact plastic knives - CIA letter openers as they're called. But after some unsavory brushes with the law in my undisciplined youth, I stopped packing. Now, in my undisciplined middle age, I just carry a key chain leatherman, but not on planes, etc. Occasionally I'll have a paint lid opener that fits neatly into my closed fist, but I've even stopped carrying that lately. I figure if someone attacks me, they'll probably have a gun and I'll be SOOL.

PT-Kali
01-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Gene- No use in being SOOL, you should really try one of the smaller Spyderco. I carry a Merlin (www.spyderco.com), small enough not turn the police's head, light enough that sometimes you forget it's there, and VERY NASTY.

Chang Style Novice
01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't imagine it's that tough to make a screw-on spearhead. I don't have a sculpture class this semester, so I don't have access to the metal shop (and my metalworking skillz are for sh!t anyway) but I feel certain you'd have an easy time getting a custom job.

I think a little forge-work, then a little tap-and-die ought to do the job nicely.

Serpent
01-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I carry a 6 inch flexible whip that can turn into a 7 inch rigid club with me everywhere I go, even the shower.

And I bet it's always in 7 inch rigid mode when you're in the shower, right?

I've never carried a weapon. I am a weapon.

wentwest
01-05-2004, 10:54 PM
sc guy,

Although it sounds very cool, I would not recommend trying to use it against a bear... I mean I guess if it's your only alternative... BUT...

Some bears (Brown bears or Grizzlys) get to be 1200 - 1500 lbs. THAT"S BIG.

I'd hate to be faced with a bear that big who's ****ed off at the spear jab I just gave him! Let's just say that you'd probably have one shot at it, and you'd better pierce his heart or your a goner fo sho.

Shaolin Dude
01-05-2004, 10:59 PM
I carry a retractable baton with me. I have accidentally dropped it 3 times. 2 times I received weird looks from people.

FatherDog
01-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Is that one of those nerf-swords made with a mop handle wrapped with foam rubber?

Anyway, great story!

There's two major midieval reenactment organizations - Markland and the SCA. Markland weapons are rattan wrapped in an inch of closed-cell plumbing insulation. SCA weapons are bare rattan.

Having been active in both, I've heard quite a number of mugger being surprised by steel plate stories.

PT-Kali
01-06-2004, 12:42 AM
I would think the Civ and Mat are illegal since the blade's length is really what cops look for.

While true the Merlin does have it's weaknesses, as you suggest, it's strengths are great also. The hook blade can be passed off as utility, and as I mentioned before it's very lightweight. I like to use the reverse grip (you can hide the knife that way), plus with the angles we use in kali, the "cutting" effect will be downright nasty. I've tested the Merlin on everything from human cardboard targets to sides of beef, and frankly I don't even see stitches "fixing" a full power slash from the Merlin in this manner.

PT-Kali
01-06-2004, 02:06 AM
EmptyCup- All good blades you have there. Nice to see someone with some shank knowledge ;)

Me personally I like serrations, but then again it's warmer here in Texas than where you're at!

Kerambits are great weapons, and unfortunately that's what the police think as well. Over here a kerambit is considered a "weapon", much like the balisong. Our laws over here don't make much sense. For example a good ol' boy can carry a Buck folder openly on his belt, but if he had one of those cheap switchblades (which would fall apart upon impact) he would go directly to jail.

Kerambits are great weapons, and I really like them. In kali we consider it all an extension of the arm. One of my kali friends carries a sharpened flat-head screwdriver in his car.