PDA

View Full Version : Pics of me getting owned in NHB class

IronFist
01-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Ok, no making fun of the quality. There are pics I took from a VHS tape, so that's why they're grainy. The video was shot around March-April 03.

I'm the white guy in these clips in the black pants and wife beater shirt.

Ok, since I didn't want to post tons of individual pics, and SINCE WE CAN'T SHOW IMAGES HERE, I just lumped them together in like collages.

So here's the first one:

Me vs. some guy who's good at boxing and good at grappling, while I am not.

I'll describe them going across top row and then bottom row.

1. Facing off
2. Me blocking a spinning back kick. Yes, I know it means you suck when your opponent throws a spinning back kick at you.
3. Me throwing a jab
4. Me getting my face owned by his leg on the ground. I tapped after this cuz I thought my nose was bleeding.
5. Me doing a shin block and trying to punch at the same time
6. Me getting my neck cranked while I'm rolled, followed by a tap

IronFist
01-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Ok next one.

This one was me vs. this awesome guy who has come capoeira experience (and can actually use parts of it to fight), and who could pretty much dominate everyone on the ground, including people who outweigh him by 50-100lbs.

He was being nice and letting me get some shots in. Otherwise he would have completely owned me.

1. Facing off
2. I jab and he blocks, or maybe he jabbed and I blocked.
3. Him blocking my low kick
4. Me punching him in the side right after #3
5. Me lunching with a jab, and totally missing
6. Me low kicking and him jumping back

-fight continued next post-

IronFist
01-04-2004, 02:49 AM
-continued-

Then we started grappling

1. Me bodyslamming him from the guard (me in his guard). I couldn't pass his guard no matter what I tried, so I said screw it and busted out with some raw strength :D
2. It doesn't work and I end up mounted
3. Him about to arm bar me
4. Me rolling with his arm bar to avoid it(a cool escape that I hear doesn't work all the time)

After that we quit cuz they were closing the recreation center.

This was really him being nice to me. He could have owned me in 5 seconds if he wanted to.

IronFist
01-04-2004, 02:50 AM
And here's some cool pics of the guy I was sparring above doing some capoeira stuff.

chen zhen
01-04-2004, 05:08 AM
cool pics.

so, did you actually win any fights, or were you defeated in them all? it looks like you did fairly well in some of the pics.

yenhoi
01-04-2004, 05:38 AM
Cool.

and I thought you was a small guy.

:eek:

Kristoffer
01-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Lumping together pics like this is a great idea! I like it alot. The more you spar the better you'll be so don't worry.

LEGEND
01-04-2004, 09:35 AM
**** dood u look RIPPED! Getting my digital camera in Feb. Looks like low kicks might be the answer...what gloves are u guys using? Look like hockey gear.

IronFist
01-04-2004, 11:44 AM
chen zhen said:
so, did you actually win any fights, or were you defeated in them all? it looks like you did fairly well in some of the pics.

I lost all of those fights. Both of those guys had much more experience than I did. The only fights I ever won were grappling-only matches against this other kid in the class who, like me, had no grappling experience before we started. We were about the same, but I won because I was a lot stronger.

yenhoi said:
and I thought you was a small guy.

In those pictures I was 5'9", about 165lbs, and around 8%bf.

Kristoffer said:
Lumping together pics like this is a great idea! I like it alot. The more you spar the better you'll be so don't worry.

Thanks. Yeah I know the more you spar the better you get, but that class ended at the end of April and I haven't done anythign since then. :( I moved back home and the only martial arts schools around here are like TKD and Karate.

LEGEND said:
**** dood u look RIPPED! Getting my digital camera in Feb. Looks like low kicks might be the answer...what gloves are u guys using? Look like hockey gear.

Thanks. Yeah I did alright with the low kicks, but like I said, that second guy was letting me get shots in. He was probably working on his defences or something. We had done an exercise before where one person punches and the other person has to evade the punches (they don't hit back), and I kid you not, in 2 minutes of doing the exercise I didn't even hit him once. He's very fast, very evasive, and could have won the fight at any point had he wanted to.

And yes, those were hockey gloves. It's all we had at the time :D

FatherDog
01-04-2004, 03:43 PM
I like how IF looks like he's wearing shoulderpads. :D

Kristoffer
01-05-2004, 03:58 AM
Thanks. Yeah I know the more you spar the better you get, but that class ended at the end of April and I haven't done anythign since then. I moved back home and the only martial arts schools around here are like TKD and Karate.

If u go to those guys and spar with tkd n karate you'll still learn alot. don't think about the styles more than the learning curve

scotty1
01-05-2004, 06:35 AM
lol@ 'wife beater shirt'

cool pics

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-05-2004, 01:57 PM
nice dude.

your kicks are very percise or your good with the pause button. im impressed either way.

IronFist
01-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer

If u go to those guys and spar with tkd n karate you'll still learn alot. don't think about the styles more than the learning curve

In theory, yes.

But, at some schools they make you spar with their techniques. So if I'm at a TKD school I'd have to use TKD stance and techniques and stuff.

Also, I've visited a couple schools that don't spar. Ack. No thanks.

IronFist
01-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by scotty1
lol@ 'wife beater shirt'

What? :D That's the only thing I've heard them referred to as. I mean, on the package it says it's called an "A-shirt" but I've never heard anyone say that. People are always "hey, look at that guy in the wife beater" or "I'm going to the gym can I borrow a wife beater?"

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
nice dude.

your kicks are very percise or your good with the pause button. im impressed either way.

I tried to pause it at good looking moments. But, that at least means my kick was in that position even if only for an instant, right?

Thanks. :D