PDA

View Full Version : Did you hear a song on the radio and wonder what it was?

IronFist
01-04-2004, 12:15 PM
You can find out at this website. Go to yes.net (http://www.yes.net) and enter your city and station and it will tell you what songs were played in the last 24 hours.

Awesome! I hate it when they don't tell you who a song is by.

IronFist
01-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Ok the main part isn't working right now. You can normally access it for free from that site.

jun_erh
01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
too bad it only has **** stations

Chang Style Novice
01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm guessing it's owned by Clear Channel - Clear Channel shows why unregulated media monopolies exert suction on lower intestines.

rubthebuddha
01-05-2004, 04:27 PM
that's if rupert ever decides to share said bunghole.

IronFist
01-05-2004, 06:16 PM
^ I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Chang Style Novice
01-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Clear Channel is a giant company that owns many, many radio stations in the US, even sometimes owning a majority of stations in a particular area. It has nationwide, pre-programmed playlists that are very, very limited, thus preventing local acts from gaining radio exposure, and resulting in a lack of individual local "scenes" in favor of a national scene that it more or less is able to determine. It is very difficult to break into radio without Clear Channel, and the company takes advantage of this in a payola (pay to get played) manner. This in turn makes it more difficult for independent, cash-poor labels to break acts, 'cause they can't afford the bribes that will get spins. It also means that big record companies can more or less determine which of their own records will get played. In other words, the companies start to drive the market, instead of the consumer.

Someone with a "boycott the RIAA" sig should definitely investigate this angle of media concentration and how it is bad, not just for music, but also news, opinion, etc..

rubthebuddha
01-05-2004, 11:32 PM
IF -- chang style is right.

here's a rather one-sided perspective of rupert murdoch (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2162658.stm) that may give you a better idea as to how, not surprisingly, one-sided our media is. if you're bored, check for more perspectives to get the other sides of the coin.

clarification of my earlier commentL the more narrow media ownership becomes, the more narrow the viewpoints presented. some don't mind this, some do. decide on your own, but it's a pretty important topic, and each person should actively make the decision rather than just gobble up what news is handed them without a wee bit of pondering.