PDA

View Full Version : Shadow boxing problem

IronFist
01-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Alright I know you're not supposed to really use tension when shadox boxing. But I have this problem. I'm totally loose and everything, until I go to bring the technique back. I'm so used to tensing at the moment of impact that I can't not do it. I'm so concerned with bringing the punch back quickly that I guess I use wayyy too much muscle at the transition point from extended to retracted. So after shadow boxing for a long time, all my pulling muscles are sore, especially my rear delts. Is that normal?

The only way I can not tense up at the end is if I go a lot slower. Not like tai chi slow, but much slower than I would actually punch in a fight.

I'm sure the soreness in my rear delts is caused from the sudden contraction of going from relaxed (cuz they're the antagonist muscle during the extension) to sudden, hard contraction as I bring my arm back in.

Any tips to fix this? Or is this normal. Once again, it's not my triceps or front delts, it's mostly just my rear delts and lats (the "pulling in" muscles).

Liokault
01-04-2004, 01:24 PM
So do it slower till you get it right then speed up.

Could the tension be from you using muscles that you are not used to, rather than just bad form?

Water Dragon
01-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Start shadow boxing for 4 minute rounds with 16 oz gloves on, that'll solve your problem real quick-like.

IronFist
01-04-2004, 02:56 PM
^ I don't have 16oz gloves. Could I just hold rolls of quarters in my fists instead? :D

mickey
01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Ironfist,

The tension is created because you are clenching your fist. Open them up and just backhand slap. It is more relaxing and you can concentrate on speed. After a period of time, slowly close your hands to the point where they look tight but are really loose inside. Most boxers that I have seen shadowbox with relaxed hands.

mickey

IronFist
01-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I need to work on doing it with looser hands.

But a fist or not a fist doesn't affect your rear delts.

So is the object of shadow boxing to not use a lot of power? Cuz when you actually hit something you tense up at the moment of impact. Do you not do that in shadow boxing?

cerebus
01-04-2004, 05:24 PM
The way we always trained when I was boxing is that shadowboxing is for developing smooth, flowing, instinctive combos. Keep the fists & arms loose, don't worry so much about speed and don't try for power at all (that's what the heavy bag's for), just be smooth & flowing, eventually you'll be able to remain very relaxed with a great deal of speed as well. ;)

mickey
01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Ironfist,

cerebus is right on the money. If you don't go with this I'm going to suggest yoga again.

mickey