PDA

View Full Version : Contact Sparring MMA or/and Reality Fighting.

LEGEND
01-04-2004, 01:43 PM
For those with current MMA and/or Reality Base Self Defense...what type of equipment gear you WEAR to spar?

MMA: best quality MMA open palm gloves??? Do you guys go hard or light???=I'm assuming those 5 oz gloves will kill your face in sparring...

RBSD: Do you guys use a plexi glass face shield over the headgears?

Please provide product information. Might start a small informal club at GMU.

Oso
01-04-2004, 04:08 PM
FWIW here's what I'm setting up for my sparring class.

Boxing Headgear by Title

Kempo style fingerless gloves by Title.

These seem to be about the same as an 8 or 10 oz boxing glove. I am still going to be trying to teach and use mantis grabbing skills so I want the open fingers but want more padding on the gloves to start with than I am going to get with the 4/6 oz. NHB gloves.

Still experimenting with chest gear. Either TKD style or some boxing style belly/kidney protectors.

Will probably not get into weapons sparring for another 6-12 months. (my school is still only 2.5 years old) But for now I'm looking at Hockey or Lacrosse Head gear w/ face cage and throat coverage. Wil probably employ the Kempo gloves but have also used lacrosse gloves in the past to decent effect. Have looked at catcher chest gear as well as the new downhill mountain bike 'armor' that is available. This stuff is cool looking and would probably work but is expensive.

http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm

I'm attempting to create a good hard sparring environment and keep students who wouldn't ordinarily be interested in said hard sparring. we'll see.

IronFist
01-04-2004, 04:43 PM
You can see in my thread we wore hockey gloves. lol :D

Normally we'd wear boxing gloves if we're just doing boxing, or sometimes people would wear fingerless Pro Force gloves (I hope you know the ones I'm talking about).

Sometimes we'd wear padded helmets with steel bar shields.

Shin pads were optional.

We'd all wear cups, or at least we were all supposed to.

It was an informal club, tho.

I would say make every piece of equipment available and then let people pick and choose what they want to wear, but they should probably start with headgear, gloves, and shinpads, and then maybe progressively take them off as they get better.

I dunno.

IronFist
01-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Oso
Have looked at catcher chest gear as well as the new downhill mountain bike 'armor' that is available. This stuff is cool looking and would probably work but is expensive.

http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm

Whoa, those "Bombshell" pads (the white ones) look like Stormtrooper gear :D

Some of that stuff looks hardcore.

Oso
01-04-2004, 05:20 PM
downhillers are nutso.
wouldn't be too hard to find some vids if you wanted to see people hurling themelves down some steep shiat.

rogue
01-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Last week I got to spar with my sensei, no gear, controlled head shots allowed. All I can say is, "Where's my helmet".

cerebus
01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
At our annual association full-contact sparring seminar/ tournament, the beginners wear full gear consisting of shin/instep pads, facecage headgear, chest protector, mouthpiece, cup & Kempo gloves (the kind Bruce Lee uses in the opening fight of Enter The Dragon). As people become more experienced they remove the gear until they are sparring full-contact with only mouthpiece, cup and open-finger NHB style gloves. Occasionally there are knockouts or a broken nose but even those don't happen too often (though one of my instructors has had his nose broken twice at these events over the years, heh, heh).

yenhoi
01-05-2004, 01:39 AM
two guys in my group are down hillers... I have sparred with sticks full contact in downhill armor. good stuff.

new people start with shinpads, elbow and knee pads, mma gloves. headgear, mouthguard, and cup.

most of the time we use just gloves, mouthguard, and cup.

keep it simple!

:eek:

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Legend,

Side note: I'm applying to grad school at GMU. If I get in, you may have a student at your informal club. Cool?

Stuart B.

CAMEL KILLER
01-05-2004, 03:25 PM
harbinger gloves, mouthpieces and cups. No headgear and only 3/4 speed shots to the head.

LEGEND
01-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey Stuart...lol...u would be a fairly advanced student! hehehe...the guys i'm hoping to get togetha are some of the newbies of the GMU BJJ club. They only have 1 class per week but...it's mostly techinque training. I'm hoping to get some of them to come to the informal sparring session. That way they can get some experience and mat time...other than that I have no reason to do it myself.

apoweyn
01-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I noticed they had a BJJ club.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to grappling. Merryprankster has shown me a few things. But I'm far from experienced.

Still, remains to be seen whether I get into GMU. So...