PDA

View Full Version : Pre-1980 Australian school's Lineage

Grandor
01-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Since Brennan came, I began searching for the lineage of the previouse tong long or related style schools prior to 1980 most of which are traced back to Nat Yuen.

I am particularly interested in whether the Sue-tin schools were also from Nat's lineage.

http://www.chinesekungfuacademy.com/kf/qld/eastbrs/index.htm

http://www.malcolmsue.com.au/main.html

1791 - Sue tin Bo became first member of the Sue family to practise chinese medicine and chinese martial arts.
SInce then it became custom for first son of first son to carry on tradition. Malcolm sue entered this tradition (8th gen)as did Gawain Sue (9th gen). Henry Sue (8th gen) also is in this tradition as are many others of the Sue/Suetin (eg. Dennis) group who learn chinese martial arts.

Prior to 1962 Malcolm may have gained his red belt in tong long.

1962 - Master Henry Sue was presented with his red belt in Brisbane from Master Nat Yuen. After such time he taught at the Chinese Club of Brisbane in Queensland. At that time, only students of Chinese origin were accepted.

Malcolm may have reached 5th or 6th degree kung fu prior to breaking with Nat Yuen/Yip Sui.

1963 - Malcolm Sue Kung Fu School founded. The system of Ging Mo Kune Kung Fu. With roots in his Tong Long past.

1966 - Master Henry Sue returned to Hong Kong to train under Grand Master Yip Sui.

1967 - Established the Tong Long Kung Fu academy in Woollongabba, after being honoured with a second degree grading from Grand Master Yip Sui.

1974 - Malcolm Sue graduates as Chinese Doctor of traditional medicines and acupuncture.

1973 - After 6 years of teaching, lectures and exhibitions of his art, a breakthrough came about with the official acceptance of all nationalities into the realm of Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. No Longer was it exclusive to the Chinese.

1977 - Received his 7th degree Gold Belt, bestowed upon him by master Nat Yuen. Also at that time, the Chinese Kung Fu Academy with Master Henry Sue as Principal.
Many Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu Clubs were established throughout Australia and overseas, which necessitated a need for forming a federation, to maintain the standard of Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

Other Notes:

Henry Sue may have studied a form of martial art like Tae Kwon Do when his family went into a variety of martial arts directions early in the children's youth. (prior to Henry being 11 years old). If this is the case, then it was regarded as the biggest waste of time in his life.
Malcolm knows many forms of Kung fu aside from Tong Long. However Malcolm may have been intended to become the Grandmaster and successor to Nat (9th degree). Malcolm may have reached 5th or 6th level Mastership of Tong Long. Then Split with the school. Henry later became 7th, then 9th degree succeeding Nat Yuen (you know, like master/apprentise). Thus, Malcolm can be called "heir" to tong long, but Henry is officially accepted as GrandMaster to Nat Yuen.

1980 +............
And the history Continues into the 1980's into our time, Malcolm and Henry found many new schools across Australia, Malcolm manages to look less scary without sunglasses on, Malcolm's style is officially recognised by the Department of historical Birthplace of Chinese Martial Arts at Shoalin Temple of China, Malcolm and Henry Become respective SiGungs of there martial arts as they expand across australia covering the majority of Australian States and capital cities between them. Brennan enters the scene, Nat (living in Hong Kong) goes with the masters of the CKFA of Australia to China Honan Province.... and Many other adventures and fun......when Yim helped found another Tong Long School in AUst (http://www.chowgar.com.au/index.htm)But I am not interested past this date of 1980 right now...unless sombody else is?

Anybody know about Henry, Nat, Malcolm, Dennis and other Tong Long Masters and when they split from each other, how high they got in martial arts, and who Dennis and Malcolm trained from? I'm just curious.

Ging Mo Fighter
01-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Gawain Sue is my Sifu, hes a very down to earth guy, and very kind but also very demanding of his students later on

Malcolm is much more of a powerful icon in the school, we dont see him there very often, but when he comes down hes usually very quiet

we have to write Malcolm a letter before each grading to let him know how our training is going (we dont get a reply haha)

but yeah, any other more technical information could surely be gained through either the website, or the person on the desk (Mark)

its probably not as relivent as the style that is being teached now, in the present, though :cool:

Grandor
01-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Malcolms schools appears to have a range of standards. A student of Henry's once told me that if you learn in the class that Malcolm teaches his son in you would have learned to a simular standard to Henry Sue's teaching with the same basic moves and style. But also told me that other schools under Malcolm were out to mainly get money (well..they all are, but...) and they didn't always teach good kungfu.

Another friend of mine in one of the Malcolm's schools (who does not know the first guy I mentioned at all) said that when he went to Henry's school they didn't do enough conditioning and hard enough training (in his opinion, but he didn't go far with that school I guess....and conditioning can be done outside of the school anyway) though he didn't comment on the actual quality of the teaching (nor did he tell them he had done kung fu before), so I'm not particularly sure about the standards of any of the schools. Overall, Malcolm's school must have kept quite alot of Tong Long in it.

Ging Mo Fighter
01-06-2004, 08:33 PM
being a master of Tong Long you would assume so ;)

5thBrother
02-23-2004, 05:29 AM
are the sue-tin brothers realted to the sue brothers? like by marriage into the sue family or relatives? i've often wondered this?

im also very interested in this subject - nam tong long hstory and photos in australia.

interesting thread.

any other info anyone?

thank you

5thBrother
02-23-2004, 05:34 AM
ging mo or anyone

what kinds of body conditioning / toughening do malcolm sue kung fu do, exercises etc.

thanks

5thBrother
05-29-2005, 03:30 AM
to the top incase any further info can be found :)

Tame The Tiger
06-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Nat Yuen taught Malcolm and Henry (and others who subsequently became masters). Malcolm taught Dennis. Henry taught Guy. Malcolm and Dennis/Guy are related. Malcolm was originally a Sue-Tin but dropped the Tin part of the name. The others retained it.

Seems to be a lot of misinformation out there...

Tame The Tiger.

Finny
06-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I just visited the malcom sue website - god**** that's some expensive training!

The weekly fees add up to about $120 per month!!

5thBrother
11-09-2005, 02:25 AM
to the top:

any more information, stories, training memories etc from the early years of chow gar tong long in australia?

:)

Slade
11-09-2005, 05:17 AM
I live in Australia and my wing chun club charges 30 dollars per week for unlimited classes so 120 a month, I dont even knowtice it going out of my bank really, ive heard of ALOT worse prices per month.

http://www.lifestylekungfu.com/home.htm

5thBrother
12-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Aussie Tong Long!!~

to the top

5thBrother
09-05-2008, 04:57 AM
To the Top

lets extend this to pre 1990 :-)