PDA

View Full Version : im starting Shaolin Kung Fu....

Qigong
01-04-2004, 07:52 PM
yo wuts goin on everyone, happy new years...im starting kung fu at an academy for a 2 week(4 days) trial fer only 20 bux. it looks pretty promising and it isnt too far away. but im wondering wut u guys would think of it. ima give u a link:

http://albenderskungfuacademy.com/trophies.html

tell me wut u think of it and if its a good idea...no matter wut ima try it out, but the sashes look kinda bootleg to me...not that it matters but yanno it does kind of reflect the authenticity of the teachings...

the academy teaches Shaolin, Tai Chi, Wushu, Pa Kua, Hsing Yi and Weapon instruction...lemme know wutchu guys think, thank you...

cerebus
01-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Hey, if this guy learned from Peter Kwok & Kwok learned from Kuo Lien Ying, go for it! Kuo Lien Ying is a legend in the Chinese MA out here in San Francisco Bay area. If this guy's lineage is the truth, he probably is pretty good.

mickey
01-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Greetings,

Peter Kwok's students seem to know each other well. When I think Peter Kwok the name of Marilyn Cooper pops into my mind. She teaches at the Little River Kung Fu School in Maryland. Her approach seems spiritual: you have to love the stuff to do it. If you have questions about Al Bender, ask her. She has a website.

Good Luck,

mickey

Qigong
01-05-2004, 09:42 AM
thanx for the help everyone, im definetely gonna go on Weds. ima check it out and let you know how it goes. thanx again

-Qigong

Qigong
01-08-2004, 09:30 AM
whew its thursday...that class was great...went in for an hour, came out knowing 5 times as much as i did. we learned warmup stretches, tai chi exercises for stretching, then went to the 20 forms of basic self-defense. pretty confusing at first but i got the hang of it really quickly. its a great school and Al Bender is a good teacher, he looks like he knows wut hes doing. its only the trial week so i havent done anyhting besides the basics, all review for the other students. im goin back saturday then weds then saturday to finish my two week trial, then the 3 month one comes, then monthly. so i like it, its good, got my legs burning quite a bit. :) so yea ima stick with it for a while i believe. they're very helpful there also, i think i have a good future with this school...finally something i found worth doing...haha...

-Qigong

mickey
01-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi Qigong,

Thanks for getting back to us. I am glad you are having a good time.

mickey

Shaolinlueb
01-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Qigong,

how is the training going now that you have been doing it for a while?

ShaolinLueb

ninja
01-19-2004, 01:48 PM
I recommend grados wing chun if you want to learn how to fight

mortal
01-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Or Wushu.

ninja
01-21-2004, 12:08 PM
or chi gung

dimmakseminar
01-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Or The Dim Mak

Shaolinlueb
01-21-2004, 09:10 PM
or eagle claw

ninja
01-22-2004, 08:52 AM
or feng shui

mortal
01-22-2004, 08:59 AM
or African dance!

ninja
01-22-2004, 09:05 AM
or rain dancing

Qigong
01-25-2004, 09:42 AM
this class is great fereal. been doin it fer 3 weeks now, got my uniform, gettin my shoes soon, got a handbook to our forms...im lovin this class man. right now were learning Chuan Su Ehr Shur Fa, whcih has 20 forms, and i already got 1-6 on lock, ****her than some of the students there that been there for like 3 months. im going at a fast pace and my sifu says my right punch is like a brick but my left needs to be stronger. did moving targets fer 2:30 minutes and got 308 hits(corssing drills) pretty good for a new student yanno. well im jus glad i started now cuz a lot of the older students there wish they had started younger. so ima stick with it and hopefully make my kung fu amazing in a few years...:)

pz

mickey
01-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Hi Qigong,

I am happy to hear that you are having such a good time!

mickey

KWUsCRD
01-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Congradulations.

I'm in the process now of trying to figure out how I can go to school full time, work part time, and get into kung fu again.

Right now I am looking at two possabilities. I want to learn, due to the areas limitations, Shaolin Five Formed Fist, and/or Mantis Boxing.

So right now I'm in the process of getting my health up and trying to insert myself back into the position to take part and do everything I can.

You have no idea how excited I am to participate again. I did once when I was younger in "American Karate" or whatever you'd like to call it.

I found the forms generic although it was good excersize and discipline. My first year, I got awarded best in class, quickest to imrpove and best form. Unfortunatly I was young so I quite in order to persue a full time job playing outside.

Your post makes me want to get back in all the more.

I'm glad your enjoyingit and all the best to you and yours in the future.

Qigong
01-26-2004, 09:26 AM
thanks everyone, and KWU, im glad i can help without realizing :), im glad i can inspire you haha. good luck with your kung fu and stay with it. train hard!

pz