PDA

View Full Version : Old school training methods.

rogue
01-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Vash posted this on another forum. (http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/012/index.html)

SevenStar
01-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Good link.

Royal Dragon
01-04-2004, 09:12 PM
I'd like to see clips of Shaolin training methods, just to see how they compare to these.

WanderingMonk
01-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
I'd like to see clips of Shaolin training methods, just to see how they compare to these.

Should be similar. Almost all of the Japanese methods in those clip with exception of one (the eliptical (?) iron ring equipment borrowed from Hawaii) were in the 72 Gong of Shaolin manual.

wm

Vash
01-04-2004, 10:46 PM
I liked the different Tanrenho devices. More and more, though, I'm becoming convinced that the Makiwara is just not properly trained in the States, at lest by most practitioners.

And, since Okinawan Lohan will bust my b@lls if I don't say it for him, "Karate is Okinawan, not Japanese!"

(Dude's touchy about that stuff. Mostly because of marketing things, I guess.)

cerebus
01-04-2004, 11:08 PM
"Karate is Okinawan, not Japanese."
Heh, heh. Unless you do Shaolin-Do. Then it's Chinese.:D :D :D

Ford Prefect
01-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Nothing really out of the ordinary besides the Kongoken.

Sashi = dumbbell or kettlebell (i've seen chinese styles use iron "locks" like this)

Chishi = leverage bar or clubs

Sanchin gami = pinch grip devices (usually only trained by "strongman" competitors or mountain climbers)

Tan = barbell. The rolling down the back I've never seen but I've seen catching it on the biceps and rolling it down the arms.

Vash
01-05-2004, 06:29 PM
I liked the Sanchin Gami. I'd actually planned on adding that type of exercise to my technical training. Nice to see it in action.

Didn't even think to do anything from holding the jars stationary while I went through the kata.

Vash
01-06-2004, 08:06 AM
What do you mean?