PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of this form?

ursa major
01-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Hello all,

I recently read of a Qixing Tang Lang form called "Tsai Kway" which I believe I have never heard of before. Does anyone know of an English translation?

thx in advance,
UM.

MantisifuFW
01-05-2004, 10:28 AM
UrsaMajor,

http://www.secretsoftheorient.com

Under Wu Tan section you will find a video of this Taiwan Tanglang set done by Shifu Tony Yang. He is, like nearly all of Taiwan, of Mei Hua Tanglang lineage.

They also have excellent videos of Shifu Funk's teacher, Shifu Al Cheng. Those of his line will find these indispensable documentation of the evolution of your branch of Mantis Boxing.

Hope it helps,

Steve Cottrell

MantisifuFW
01-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Ursa Major,

The set has some interesting use of the negative mantis hook as well as elbow use. Its name as I understand it, (I have not seen the characters for this name), is to "remove the helmet".

Hopefully others who practice this set will add to our information.

Steve Cottrell

ursa major
01-06-2004, 07:14 AM
Sifu Cottrell many thx for your help.

regards,
UM

Tamojin
01-20-2004, 12:34 AM
My Sifu teaches a avanced form called Shere Kuen or snake form - anyone else heard of this or know of it?

ursa major
01-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Can you tell us anymore of the form?

- How long a form is it?
- Does it use traditional PM stances of traditional Snake stances?
- Does it only employ snake-hand or does it mix fist and hook?
- Is it executed on traditional Mantis lines/routes or are the steps geometric? (x, cross and box patterns).
- What are the target areas for striking?

I have not seen much Snake in PM and that which I have seen that could be called 'Snake Form' is typically a minor statement within the form, a gesture.

Best regards,
UM.

Tamojin
01-21-2004, 08:28 PM
From what I have seen of it - it has a lot of snake strikes and seven star stance - its very quick and multi-directional. It does use mantis claw quite effectively too