PDA

View Full Version : updates

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 08:30 AM
January 5, 2004
Friday night, James, Nicole, and I got together at the Third Power gym for a little boxing practice. We took some video as well, listed at the bottom of the video clips menu, under KFM DC Metro Meeting.

James has encouraged me to makes some smartass comment about him nearly slipping out of the ring. But given the number of times he manages to hammer me in the bread basket coupled with the likelihood of us later getting footage of me inadvertently kicking myself in the teeth, I won't be casting any stones of that sort.

I'm wearing the blue t-shirt and green shorts. James is... well, the other one.

www.apoweyn.net/martialarts/index.htm

Oso
01-05-2004, 09:09 AM
"Est time remaining: 2 hours 12 minutes"

stupid work computer:mad:

guess I'll wait till I get home.

btw, went crazy of the holidays and ordered a new computer WITH a video capture card. so, as soon as my girl builds it for me I'll have some mo stuff.

FEBRUARY15th ?????

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Well, your girlfriend put together a badarse looking website. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

As for this video, it's full of Stuart-pummeling fun. ("Fun" being relative to whether or not you're Stuart.)

Stuart

yenhoi
01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
So did you gugys just punch each other the whole time?

:D

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by yenhoi
So did you gugys just punch each other the whole time?

:D

Yep. MP's still rehabing his shoulder from a recent judo injury. So we decided to just work boxing. Worked out for me too, because while I'm an avid kicker, my cardio is miserable right now. And I'd have tanked even sooner if we'd been kicking.

Oso
01-05-2004, 09:33 AM
forgot about MP's shoulder.

MP, do you think you'll be healed up by 2-15? If not, I'd rather put the trip off till you're healed. Rolling with you would be the highlight, I think.

Not that I won't enjoy getting sweaty with you Ap. ;)

yep, she just built herself a pretty nice machine. mine will be a little less nice but still 2-3 times what I have now.

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 09:47 AM
No, I see how it is Oso. I'm KFM's ugly duckling. I can take the truth. *sniffle*

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Since yenhoi's analysis got left behind on the other thread:

Its neat to see mp standing up.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking at the time. If by "neat" you mean "holy sh*t, here he comes!"

You seem to be weighted on your rear leg, rarely moving forward (or anywhere) for very long, and you move directly away from whatever strike he is throwing every single time. You also throw your jab from too far away.

I think that's a combination of two things. 1) MP's a well conditioned and well trained combat athlete. I'd be lying if I said that intimidation didn't play a large part. 2) I'm very poorly conditioned at the moment. And my footwork went to hell pretty quickly. Notions of angles, zoning, etc., were the first to get jettisoned when I ran out of gas. Regrettably, they were about the most valuable things I could have hung on to.

*shrug*

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I like it when he keeps hitting you with his cross, then moves in and hits you with a corss hook hook several times.

Yeah, I enjoyed that too. :rolleyes:

Seriously, he had some nice combinations. But he also did a really good job of finding the gaps. In the beginning of the evening (not taped), I was going to the body a lot. And he was countering to my head. In the last match (the one on tape), I was headhunting and taking a lot of body shots for my trouble.

Good stuff. Did you guys just sparr or did you work anything for anythung?

We worked the focus mitts a bit to warm up, did some sparring, and then worked the bag a little as well. James' better half was there as well. They worked on quite a bit of technique stuff.

(Did he just beat you up all the time?)

Yes.

Stuart B.

Water Dragon
01-05-2004, 10:19 AM
If you were a Kung Fu Master, you wouldn't need any cardio, Ap ;)

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
If you were a Kung Fu Master, you wouldn't need any cardio, Ap ;)

Yeah, I know.

As is, my qi comes in a small inhaler. :)

Oso
01-05-2004, 11:38 AM
No, I see how it is Oso. I'm KFM's ugly duckling. I can take the truth. *sniffle*

lol, no...I think I got you there.

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Oso

lol, no...I think I got you there.

Well, my aspiration is to be a little less of a heavy bag by the time the next DC KFM meeting rolls around. :)

Oso
01-05-2004, 11:45 AM
just saw the clip

Ap, you box better than I do, fwiw.

hey, just keep my motto in mind:

It's not how well the bear dances
but that he dances at all.

:)

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Oso
just saw the clip

Ap, you box better than I do, fwiw.

Worth a lot. Cheers Oso.

hey, just keep my motto in mind:

It's not how well the bear dances
but that he dances at all.

:)

Wise bear. Yeah, I wasn't particularly pleased with my performance obviously. But like you said, getting on the dance floor is a good start.

Merryprankster
01-05-2004, 11:54 AM
"He picks his big foot up, He puts his big foot down..."

I can't believe this personally. Here's an opportunity for people to tell us how awful our footwork and punching is and nobody bites :D

Man, you need a better thread title. Like "See MP fall over." Or something.

Water Dragon
01-05-2004, 11:57 AM
We're just being nice to you mp. Although you might want to check out the term "lateral movement", :p

MonkeySlap Too
01-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Oh man did you guys just not get it, I've never seen such bad...actually i haven't watched it yet. just didn't want you to feel left out.

Now if you were a REAL master...

Merryprankster
01-05-2004, 12:07 PM
"We're just being nice to you mp. Although you might want to check out the term "lateral movement",

Hey, how can I fall out of the ring if I do that?

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Hey, how can I fall out of the ring if I do that?

Sideways.

yenhoi
01-05-2004, 12:18 PM
It did look like ap was trying to push or punch you when you went into the ropes.

Did you guys keep score? :D

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Did you guys keep score? :D

Nope.

I mean, I was keenly aware of getting hit more than I hit MP. But that's all.

yenhoi
01-05-2004, 12:23 PM
But you scored the only takedown!

:eek:

apoweyn
01-05-2004, 12:26 PM
But you scored the only takedown!

:eek:

Yeah, and that changed the whole tide of the fight in my favour.

That didn't happen.

LEGEND
01-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Great homepage!!!

apoweyn
01-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Cheers Legend. :)

Stuart

ShaolinTiger00
01-06-2004, 08:22 AM
tell us how awful our footwork and punching is and nobody bites

bite me.