PDA

View Full Version : everyday common EFFECTIVE weapons?

jeoffrey04
09-17-2000, 01:10 AM
for example in the movie Fist of Legend whenever Jet Li uses his belt against the Japanese Samurai General, any body know of any info that could help me "train" in the art of "belt fighting" ? or other common everday weapon self defense?

-jeoffrey

JWTAYLOR
09-17-2000, 04:08 PM
See if you can find the book, "Spike and Chain" by a guy named somthing like Gruzanski. That can't be the name but it's something like that. Great book. It will teach you the basics of chain work, and it call all be easily applied to a belt.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

MaFuYee
09-17-2000, 09:08 PM
unorthodox weapons will help you if you already know how to fight.
if not, chances are that most non-orthodox weapons won't help that much.

e.g. a simple pen can become a devastating weapon, not so much because you will stab them with it, rather, what i was taught was to throw the guy, and put the pen on the ground, tip up, right where he is going to land. - now, this won't help you too much if you can't throw the guy in the first place.

of course, if you were to hit the guy with the tip of the pen, it will hurt, perhaps even more than a pheonix eye, but again, that is assuming you can hit him in the first place.

in my tai chi class, when learning the straight sword, it was demonstrated how you can use the straight sword principles using the corner of a book. (but just putting a book in the hands of someone who does not know what to do with it, won't be much of a deciding factor in a fight anyway.)

a beginner may have an advantage with a bladed weapon, or a club of some sort, against the average fighter, but when going against a skilled fighter, it is very likely that the beginner will have the weapon stripped from him and used against him.

i am more an advocate of using and developing ones mind, than focusing on paranoia based scenarios

Demi @ CSPT
09-18-2000, 03:52 PM
We teach the methodical use of improvised weapons:

o Pens, keys, screwdrivers etc.
o Chain, belt, hose etc.
o Car antenna, news paper etc.
o Bottle (broken or un broken)
o Dog food can (open with the lid partially attached)
o Sock with two D batteries in it
o Pillow case with shampoo bottles in it

I could go on and on...

The structure we use is Kali.
The most important element though is, "How you train!!!".

Demi Barbito
The C.S.P.T.
"A Lethal Force Institute"
www.DemiBarbito.com (http://www.DemiBarbito.com)

tsb
09-18-2000, 08:19 PM
A pillowcase filled with shampoo bottles?

Kymus
09-21-2000, 04:15 PM
I have trained in Kali for 4 years, which emphasises the stick and dagger. You can easily use a pen as a dagger as I've seen when I'm bored I'll use that in a numbering drill. Or there is always the sock full of quaters.....

-Kymus-

"Crosstraining is the key"
~Sifu Rick Tucci~

shimera
09-26-2000, 01:16 AM
you could allways use the blunt end of the pen to hit pressure points.

SCP
09-26-2000, 10:25 AM
A rolled up magazine. Give it a try. Just roll it up really tight and hold it in the middle instead of at the end. You can jab pretty hard with it both in a stabbing motion and a rabbit punch-backhand motion.

totallyfrozen
09-27-2000, 10:06 AM
LOL!
Sock full of quarters, pillow case full of shampoo bottles...
What are you guys? Inmates?
Hehehehe!
You're right, those things WOULD work. It's just humorous to see prison weapons mentioned on an MA forum.

As far as using a pen for something OTHER than stabbing. Well, I think that you need to remember that the pen will be the strongest when the impact is on one of the tips as opposed to the side. If you wanted to use it as a small bar or something, you would probably want something stronger than a writing pen; something like a piece of wood or metal.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"There is only ONE karate"

totallyfrozen
09-27-2000, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...what I was taught was to throw the guy, and put the pen on the ground, tip up, right where he is going to land.[/quote]

Are you serious?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
That sounds like something from a Jackie Chan movie to be honest. I have been in a few fights and I don't ever recall having the time or the perfect coordination between me and my opponent to execute some magic trick like that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Have you had a chance to try it? Does it really work?
I'm picturing trying to throw a guy while, simultaneously, trying to hold a pen, on the ground, pointing up. The pen isn't going to stand on its end all by itself, you would have to get down on the ground and hold it there, pointing up. You would have to, also, be throwing the guy while you're doing this.
Did I miss something? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
How could this be done? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

"There is only ONE karate"

Grays Anatomy
09-28-2000, 05:17 AM
Next time you are walking through the wrong part of town get yourself a hot cup of coffee - particularly from a diner (there coffee is ****ed HOT!). Just walk down the street with it in your hand. YOu don't have to drink it.

Ever spill some on your lap - imagine what it would be like in the face.

8stepsifu
09-28-2000, 06:24 AM
until you get lost, your coffee gets cold and the street people kick your ass. Most of the things mentioned are time consuming and don't create much more hitting power...Why not just punch...ah well. Everyday I have a belt..I would not whip it off if someone shoved me because they might think I was trying to seduce them. Secondly it would depend on where I was...restaurant..plates like frisbees to the teeth. Auto Parts store. Chuck parts. The only place I ever get near any trouble is at someone's house party/kegger or a dance club. Either way there is no time to get a weapon. A jinged (power generation) up shove gets the message across. If anything coins to the face as a distraction followed by a punch to the gut or knee to the nuts. I personally would hate to have a credit card swiped hard against my neck, so I think this would at least be a detourent. Even bad guys are afraid of psycos.
In kung fu movies, the guys flip their jackets over to block, but his is retarded. Ever watch hockey? If I had no where to run agains a knifefighter I would take off a jacket and use it to block and wrap them u

8Step Sifu

tsb
09-28-2000, 09:30 AM
Just the other day, some lunatic broke through my front door just as I was feeding Fido dinner. As he came rampaging towards me in the kitchen, I began to panic. Before he could clobber me, however, I remembered the empty dog food can (with the lid partially attached of course) on the counter inches from my hand. I grabbed it and began to slice my maniacal attacker to ribbons. The dog food can had saved my life. And you guys didn't believe such a weapon could work. I now carry a pillowcase filled with shampoo bottles with me in my backpack at all times.

tsb
09-28-2000, 09:31 AM

yamato_damashii
10-14-2000, 12:37 AM
When I'm at work, I always carry a mini maglight with me (I work at night, duh). Not only does it work as a striking device, but it can be used very painfully in wristlocks as well, as I learned in MP school.
I'd rather have ANY weapon in fight (even a can of dog food) than none. The usefulness of an improvised weapon depends more on the inventiveness of the user than original purpose of the weapon.

Jason C. Diederich
Pax Nobiscum

Shinakira
10-14-2000, 06:45 PM
it to carry a weapon at all times just in case.
I have never really got into a situation to use it but never the less.

two small wood handles 4" long. with 2mm cable attatched between the two handels.

some swiss army kits come with the same kind of device, one it can be used to also cut tree branches.

talk about slicing right to the bone.

"If your in my way, Your in the way of proggress"
god bless all.

WuMan
10-18-2000, 12:53 AM
Guys forgot the almight chop sticks.

origenx
10-18-2000, 07:25 PM
In prison, most folks just keep a can of food in a tube sock. Although, you might want to use maybe 2 socks, because if that can breaks through the end of one (which I've heard of), then you're left holding just an empty sock with a hole in it! Can you spelled S-C-R-E-W-E-D?

Silence
11-21-2000, 07:25 PM
I have learned from human nature that you don't need a weapon so much to defeat your attacker, but a simple instinctive response from them. For example if you are in a bar like I work in you have very little space to DETAIN the person and not get someone around you involved by slamming the guy into the crowd. Even the biggest guy will fall for a simple step on the lead foot that gives you the opportunity to get done what you need to weather it be a simple arm lock or wrist lock they all fall for distraction. Or take this one for example walk up in front of them and have a quarter in hand palmed. When you are close enough to strike throw the quarter into his face or just infront of it straight in the air:eek: I garantee that he will either watch it or try to stop it....once again this should give you the few seconds that you need to accomplish what is NEEDED.
I stress the words detain and needed for the reason that you should only use what is necessary for each situation and no more. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

JerryLove
11-21-2000, 11:12 PM
1) It's bad netiquette to ressurect old posts
2) You didn't even resurrect it to address the actual question
3) I wear steel-toed shoes as the norm, your statement is overconfident and false.

Please be a little more careful in the future /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

johndruce
12-05-2000, 01:32 AM
You could just shine the maglight in their eyes. At night they'd lose their nightvision and wouldn't be able to see very well in the dark for a few minutes.

How do you use it in a wristlock?

Lucky Red
12-20-2000, 05:22 PM
carry some Chilli Powder With you if someone
Attacks you Throw it In there Faces i havent Actually Tried This But it isnt very hard to think
what will happen Nose Spray
also Works only Not so good

.........,,,,,,,, Spread it Your self

jojitsu27
12-28-2000, 01:47 AM
It works,
it's hard and heavy, but swinging it around in
public can get you in trouble!
-jojitsu27

Rolling Elbow
12-29-2000, 06:57 AM
Weapons are an extension of your body and empty hand knowledge..improvise.

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Kung Lek
12-30-2000, 05:55 AM
I can't believe non of you have mentioned Bananas!

or strawberries, both of which are LETHAL and available from your nearest fruitmarket.

Kung Lek

iamaloser
12-30-2000, 03:41 PM
If you have studied any weapons you already know how to use everyday items for self-defense. The belt Jet Li used was actually improvised steel whip techniques. If you know how to use a broadsword, you can apply certain techniques with an umbrella. If you've studied knives, then you can utilize those moves with pens or other short items. The whole point of martial arts is to enlighten you to infinite possibilities. It is no secret because the knowledge is already there.