PDA

View Full Version : Another John Wang Clip

Royal Dragon
01-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Bagua fighting guy in yellow, no head shots allowed.

Your thoughts?

http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/video/Bagua_fight.WMV

EDIT} Question, other than walking around in a circle, and getting a good palm strike in here and there, does this guy look like he's demonstraiting good Bagua principals?

anton
01-06-2004, 06:51 AM
I gather you're not talking about Jackie CHan's character in Shanghai Noon?

Kristoffer
01-06-2004, 07:39 AM
I gather you are not cool enough to talk in blue?

anton
01-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
I gather you are not cool enough to talk in blue?

You gather correctly... besides it clashes with my shirt! :P

Kristoffer
01-06-2004, 12:05 PM
;)

anton
01-06-2004, 08:27 PM
:cool:

Christopher M
01-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
other than walking around in a circle...

In my experience, that isn't a bagua principle.

Royal Dragon
01-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Circle walking does exist in Bagua though, and I have used it sucsessfully in the past myself. In my case, I was much closer, and used the lead hand to cover the opponents jabbing hand by keeping contact with it. I used the circle walking to circle in really close, to the point where our feet were entangled. I used that to disrupt the opponents root and upset thier balance.

My Bagua experiance is minimal though, I started to learn Sun style many years ago, along with some sort of Long Fist for about 2-1/2 years back in the mid 90's. The Long Fist was the primary practice. The Bagua I learned was suposed to be the Mother palms. I learned the set pretty quick, but once I could recite it, the primary practice was walking the circle with the first palm only. Other than "Play" with some possible applications for it for a short time, I didn't get any further than that. Today, 8-9 years later, even though I can no longer recite the form, some of the footwork, and the single palm change still remain a part of me.

Christopher M
01-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Circlewalk exists in bagua of course, but I don't believe it's a dance - it's very hard to simply dance your way to someone's back. Getting to someone's back with arm drags and duck unders is much more reasonable; training the circlewalk for exercise is very reasonable; working angles, posture, and offbalance is definitely good.

yu shan
01-07-2004, 08:16 AM
RD, thanks for the clip.

Looks like this fellow abandoned his baqua walking pretty quick into the bout.

Royal Dragon
01-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi, first, thank John Wang for the clip, I just linked to it form here.

As for the Bagua guy,his structure was all off and based on my limited Bagua experiance, he didn;'t seem to stick to the principals of this art very well. The SC guy was defenetly the better fightter.

SifuAbel
01-07-2004, 06:35 PM
It would be interesting to know what the announcer was saying. He seemed to be chuckling in some parts of the bout.

David Jamieson
01-07-2004, 11:07 PM
blue guy needs better shoes.

yello guy used some pretty "external" boxing stuff. PLus the attempts at the single and double leg takedowns that didn't work out for him. Well, they sort of got one each and a tie on that roll out.

only one head shot and i think it was an accident. Not allowed?

unless yello has 0 power, blue will feel that tomorrow.

overall, if they are going to fight at that force level they need to fight more imho.

cheers