PDA

View Full Version : Karate TEKKI forms and Mixed Martiat arts

mickey
01-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Greetings,

I was looking at a mixed martial art tape and I noticed that many of the moves from the top mount resemble quite a few moves from the Tekki forms of karate. Considering that the forms are done from a horse stance, do you think that fighting from the top mount may have been one of its uses in the past?

mickey

truewrestler
01-06-2004, 06:59 AM
I thought that form teaches how to milk an okinawan cow when you have no stool....? :p

What exactly are you asking? Do you want to know what the secret moves are in the forms?

mickey
01-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Hello Truewrestler,

I am not looking for secrets. It was just an observation. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed. It may be just that there are only so many ways arms can move.

mickey

truewrestler
01-06-2004, 08:13 AM
explain the movement

mickey
01-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi,

Certain moves. For example, I observed the holding the opponent's arm across his body (left pulling left) to strike with the right resembles the simultaneous punch/hook punch in one of the tekki forms. Another would be the arm lock/elbow break position that can be used to roll the person over. I am not a MMA, but I did see something, a connective.

mickey

Chinwoo-er
01-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Just curious,

why ask about karate stuff on a Kung Fu forum ??

MasterKiller
01-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Kung Fu? This is a MMA/Politics forum.

apoweyn
01-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Chinwoo-er
Just curious,

why ask about karate stuff on a Kung Fu forum ??

Come off it, Chinwooer. When was the last time you remember this place being strictly kung fu? There are lots of non-CMA discussions here.

Sheesh.

MasterKiller
01-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Well, all that other stuff, like fencing, Karate, MMA, BJJ, etc... should be posted in ORA.

Technically, at least.

mickey
01-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Greetings,

I posted in this forum because this is where the MMA guys like to hang out. This is their "bar and lounge", so to speak. And I wanted their feedback. I did manage to answer my question, though; any upright fighting method can mma applications if one is diligent enough to look for it. I think that was the lesson for me to experience when I was watching that video.

I did not mean to create any commotion.

Best regards to you all,

mickey

apoweyn
01-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Well, all that other stuff, like fencing, Karate, MMA, BJJ, etc... should be posted in ORA.

Technically, at least.

Yeah, technically you're absolutely right. And I was all for ORA becoming the new "general" forum. But it never really seemed to take off.

Besides, activity here has slowed down a lot too, it seems. If there's another campaign to eject people not directly discussing kung fu, there won't be a whole lot left here.

You think?

truewrestler
01-06-2004, 11:14 AM
you could also practice the art with the moves you are trying to find hidden in karate forms :)
Originally posted by mickey
Greetings,

I posted in this forum because this is where the MMA guys like to hang out. This is their "bar and lounge", so to speak. And I wanted their feedback. I did manage to answer my question, though; any upright fighting method can mma applications if one is diligent enough to look for it. I think that was the lesson for me to experience when I was watching that video.

I did not mean to create any commotion.

Best regards to you all,

mickey

mickey
01-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Yes Truewrestler!

That will be done. Thank you.

mickey

Cheese Dog
01-06-2004, 10:37 PM
If I remember correctly, the Tekki katas are called Naihanchi in the Okinawan martial arts. If so, there are alot of groundfighting applications in them. Whether they were deliberately put there origanally, I can't say, but there are only so many logical ways for the human body to move.

Try working some of the moves from the guard or when mounted also. The sidesteps in the kata can be interpreted as various turnover moves.

Have fun!

Vash
01-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Cheese Dog has applied a vertical backfist to the correct and followed up with a double-leg takedown onto hot pavement covered in broken glass.

mickey
01-07-2004, 03:19 AM
Thank you Cheese Dog,

I thought I was having a Twilight Zone moment. Seeing these things and then being the only one to see it. I thought it serious enough to risk ridicule by posting up my observations for validation.

Thank You Again,

mickey

Cheese Dog
01-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Mickey, you're welcome.

When I tested for my black belt in Ryukyu Kempo, I had to find as many groudfighting applications as I could in kata Wansu. Since then finding them has become second nature. Just because something looks like the same old --Prepare for low block, turn left into front stance, execute low block--doesn't mean that's all it CAN be. When you look you can see weapons defenses, throws, takedown defenses, etc.

Have fun looking!

rogue
01-09-2004, 06:27 AM
mickey, what's your background?

mickey
01-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Hello rogue,

I enjoy the study of the Chinese martial arts -- of that I will say no more. I do enjoy the study of the biomechanics of movement and their applications in combat.

mickey