PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun IS training for combat

Keng Geng
01-06-2004, 03:56 PM
If it's not, then you're simply not doing Wing Chun. There are no drills/exercises that train you for combat. Wing Chun trains you for combat. Wing Chun is combat. If you need to add drills to your Wing Chun to train you for combat, the base of what you have learned is either misunderstood or incomplete.

"Training for combat" on a Wing Chun forum = redundancy.

Gangsterfist
01-06-2004, 04:00 PM
I agree, but also disagree. Wing Chun is also an art. There are many benefits from kung fu, self defense and fighting are the basics of what you gain if you ask me.

canglong
01-08-2004, 08:21 AM
if I was a newbie to the style, based on the sentiments of many WC practioners, I would think that realistic training was outside of the boundaries for what constitutes as "wing chun" Why?

reneritchie
01-08-2004, 10:24 AM
WCK != Combat

WCK == a systematic and progressive method for improving certain types of combat skill.

KingMonkey
01-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Broadly speaking I happen to agree with the sentiment that WC is (or should be) training for combat.
But after this you lose me a little.

There are no drills/exercises that train you for combat. Wing Chun trains you for combat
Are you saying your WC training consists of no drills or exercises ?
Please elaborate.

Keng Geng
01-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by KingMonkey
Are you saying your WC training consists of no drills or exercises? No, I'm simply saying that the notion of practising "combat drills" and "training for combat" with respect to WC is a redundancy. Yes, WC has drills and exercises, but everything in Wing Chun trains you for combat.

Phil Redmond
01-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Oxford dictionary. (The Queens English) ;)
DRILL n.- thorough training esp. by repetition, recognized procedure.
EXERCISE n. "practice" of an ability
PRACTISE n. do repeatedly as an exercise to improve a skill (note the British spelling of this word)

Here's my take on the subject of drills/exercises. To "practice" an "exercise" as a "drill" to improve a skill like a Jazz musician "practices" basic scales as an "exercise" by doing "drills/exercises" (chi sau?) daily in order to be able to improvise (real combat?) at will. This applies to anything that requires spontaneous motor skills. I've played Trumpet since I was 8 years old and done WC for 34 years so I'm speaking from experience with this analogy.

Gangsterfist
01-09-2004, 09:24 AM
WC does train you for combat like situations. However, in our world today there really is no place for a fighter. You could become a ring fighter like a boxer, but that is still a game with rules and regulations. You could join the army but more than likely you will never see any hand to hand combat (unless you are elite forces). If you do see hand to hand combat in the military it won't be the most common thing you see. You will use your guns, bombs, mortars, etc, your long range weapons.

Why train with the idea to kill people? Sure you can do that, you could win a lot of fights. When you are old and on your death bed, you can look back and think about all the people you beat up and killed. You can also die young from this. Try to fight someone who is more skilled than you and you just die young. Or, you could train to have the knowledge that you know you can defend yourself and your loved ones when needed. This is why WC is an art. I do not deny the fact that when you learn a martial art reguardless of its style you are learning to hurt/kill someone.

canglong
01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Very interesting thread so far good job Keng Geng.
b/c many do not practice or believe in sparring, realistic contact sparring of any kind other than chi sau. EmptyCup,
So does this in anyway directly relate to what wing chun is or is not or is it just a reflection of those individuals practice for example if wing chun has 3 sets of forms SNT CK and BJ and some individuals tell you they only practice 2 of the 3 does wing chun have 3 sets of forms or 2?

bonetone,
interesting points, I am someone who believes wing chun is a tool for the purpose of cultivating self and more specific the self needs of the mind, body and spirit are what can be inhanced with proper wing chun training.

Brithlor
01-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Self defense is still a very REAL thing...

Your chances of getting in a fight that you could've avoided ARE slim, so there is no point to train to the extent where you face more serious risk to your health by doing WC than being attacked on "the street".

But, I know that I would much rather be in good physical shape and mental alertness by practicing wing chun, and always have a back up just incase I really need to defend myself, than just forget about it since the chances are so slim anyway.

"If you want to train for combat go join a military that is ready for war. Wing Chun, as every martial art , is a very personal thing. If you think you can take on the world because you've had some WC training, I have pity for you. Try conquering your own demons and wars and then try improving the crumbling neighborhoods all around us. Your WC may serve to save you froom one or two little ***** assed fights but if you are not making self improvement and helping your community what exactly are you doing for good.; Just pumping up your ego for the big fight where you can prove what a tough guy you are to yourself. Be sure to write some letters with mortars blasting all around."

-- Bonetone

If you don't train WC to help you defend yourself or your family what DO you train it for? You're not doing your community some great good by learning WC... I don't think practising wing chun every day will rebuild the "crumbling neighborhoods all around us". If you think the self defense aspect of wing chun is worthless in the world, and that you should strive for the betterment of yourself and the world around you (which in and of itself is a noble goal) then I don't think Wing chun is the answer.

Gangsterfist
01-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Its an art. Practicing everyday will unify the mind, body, and spirit. It is good for you physically, and mentally. It calms your mind so you can think your way through stuff rather than just react, or walking blindly through whatever crosses your path; whether it be work related, school related, or self defense related.

Not to mention practicing wing chun is something to do. Get bored, can't sleep, or too cold to go outside, practice the form. You can go spar with one of your brothers.

People who train wing chun or any martial art just to "kick ass" are missing out on a bunch of other things kung fu can offer you.

To be honest with you I can avoid almost 90% of fight situations with my wing chun training. I can usually see them developing and can avoid them before they happen. Obviously no one can avoid every possible situation, but I believe my wing chun training has definately improved my awarness to such situations.

Keng Geng
01-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
so I'm speaking from experience with this analogy. We all are...

Keng Geng
01-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bonetone
Wing Chun, as every martial art , is a very personal thing. This is what I call "la la" talk. Martial = war/combat. It just is.

Brithlor
01-10-2004, 02:33 AM
"Its an art. Practicing everyday will unify the mind, body, and spirit. It is good for you physically, and mentally. It calms your mind so you can think your way through stuff rather than just react, or walking blindly through whatever crosses your path; whether it be work related, school related, or self defense related."

Yes definitely... but the poster I quoted is making it seem to think self defense is worthless, and that you learning wing chun will some how be a great gift to the world. My point was that you'd be better off doing community service if you feel so strongly against what wing chun was originally developed for, and think that it is only worthwhile if it "rebuilds the neighborhoods crumbling all around us (!!!!?)".

Like I said in my last post... I probably won't ever get in a fight that I would not have been able to avoid. But if I DO get in one I'll be quite happy I was in shape from striving to do better in WC and that if I must I have a few tools to help me get out of that situation in one piece...