PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the sprawl

backbreaker
01-07-2004, 03:43 AM
Does it matter if you have a height advantage when you do a sprawl? Would it be more advantageous to be either taller or shorter than your opponent , or is it all the skill of whoever's fighting? Also what are some important aspects involved in sprawling ? I would guess endurance training

yu shan
01-07-2004, 08:09 AM
My experience shooting on a taller opponent resulted in there legs ****her out of my reach. Shooting on a shorter person in stature seemed to leave me more of an opportunity to gather a leg or two.

Well, one very important aspect of "sprawling" to me, be quick about it, executing a sprawl slow only got me to the mat. Also of course pulling off a good counter to the shoot. I tried my best to get around my opponent as quick as I could.

My Coach was a shooting freak.

Just my thoughts

ShaolinTiger00
01-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Ultimately, it comes down to skills, but certain physical traits carry advantages and disadvantages that can be used (or learned to compensate for)

ex. - tall guy - MAY be slower sprawl, but will likely have a deeper, more defensive base

This is good in avoiding the shoot but the beginning and end may hamper a quick transition into the next phase. (your sprawl may rock but what if your opponent has a double neck clinch and is planning on kneeing your jaw thru your skull..)

a heavier guy may be slower and react mush more slowly, but will be able to put pressure on the guy shooting for his legs. if he has any speed at all he'll more than likely be able to spin around behind and take the back.

a small guy will probably be very quick and be able to sense the sprawl and act accordingly, but his shorter legs may not be enough to get away from an opponent with more strength and longer arms to suck him back in and bulldozer him..

Practice practice practice - and you will learn what you'll need to do to properly execute.

Ren Blade
01-07-2004, 08:46 AM
What is sprawling?

MasterKiller
01-07-2004, 08:55 AM
What the white guy is doing to avoid the double-leg takedown here:

http://www.bjj.org/techniques/cesar/take1/move2.jpg

truewrestler
01-07-2004, 09:26 AM
ummm.... looks like a partial sprawl to me

No_Know
01-07-2004, 09:37 AM
You tall; legs away, but you lean. Lean more for a shorter charger--more susceptible to pulling/jerking/yanking ...forward-ish.

You shorter, good suport yet if charger is driving up and pressing forward you lose weight from your feet.--get carried/slammed~ (back).

Them taller, back slow and drive down. They are over extended without adjustment~Face meet Mat. Mat: slam to know you.

Them shorter, lean over them jerk their lower up...[polite Mat]: Slam to know you.

You're asking about one section that happens many times in a second or so because they both adjust--whoever does not adjust (good enough) gets taken~. Then it is not a technique but techniques used together that link (like video/arcade fighter game combinations that short hits then knock back to off balance bewilder/daze, long hit (maintain the daze), charge-in, bounce them, hit them when they are up because the don't usually retaliate when knocked off the ground (free hits ~)...cruelty hit when down before they get the senses And ability And Will to move to get back to a position to make you regret putting such a hurting on them.

Skill has to do with how one adjusts. Experience determines what adjustments are made/tried.~

Sprawling? I just hope to get slammed comfortablly. That way I can on my way down plan on getting this attacker (positioning; also, start getting hand positioning on your way back/down for breakfall and retaliation)).

Aspects? Balance? torque? Footing? How high or low one has their feet at each step of force meets force. Which steps one chooses to take--types of stepping. Knee bending. Knees out /in balance. Flat footed? Shift between flat footed, ball of foot/feet, heel of foot feet. Lean at waist. Percent off center forward to resist charge. Where to rest your hands(constant vary with opponents action~-ish be mindful in all these things).

Torso flexion. force guiding (left, right) where they are touching you. Where the can move to next and next from there and next from there...

Perhaps one might say.