PDA

View Full Version : 8-count bodybuilders w/kettlebells

Ford Prefect
01-07-2004, 08:20 AM
I just got a second a 16kg KB the other day, so I was messing around with double KB exercises last night. I dunno if anybody else has come up with this but I came up with a killer exercise. I always liked the 8-count bodybuilder calesthenic exercise, so I wanted to come up with one for KB's.

The BWE version is this (start from standing):

1) Bend down and place hands on ground by feet
2) Kick feet back into push-up position
3) Down push-up
4) Up push-up
5) Spread feet apart
6) Feet back together
7) Feet back up to hands
8) stand-up

The KB version I came up isn't quite so smooth, but check it out (start standing holding both KB's)

1) double-Kb swing
2) bend down and plant KB's on ground
3) kick legs back into push-up position
4) do push-up
5) do a row with left hand (supporting w/right hand on KB)
6) do a row with right hand (support w/left hand)
7) feet back up to near kb's
8) stand up

It will be interesting to see how many of these I can do in a row while really pushing myself. Seems like it's killer though.

Pork Chop
01-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Sounds like the torture errr training Suntzu puts us through with kettlebells instead of dumbells... We do an explosive jump at the end instead of the swing- but it's kind of got a swing quality to it.

O cr@p I have exposed family secrets and now Suntzu will slit my throat.

Suntzu
01-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Suntzu puts us through with kettlebells instead of dumbells... :rolleyes: :confused:

Pork Chop
01-07-2004, 09:09 AM
That's not our burpies/squat thrusts with kettlebells instead of the 10 pounders that we use?

I mean, I know the kettlebell's 3 times as heavy...

If not, mah bad....

At this point, even if you did slit my throat, yesterday's burger grease would probly come out instead of blood, assuming any of it's left in my body after a night in the bathroom.

Suntzu
01-07-2004, 09:19 AM
u said.... with ... kettlebells instead of dumbells.... :D.... that's the 'advanced' version i was telling you about that one day with the row..... 2 kb's that's hard to the core.... i do them at home with 20# db's and its killer enough :eek:

Pork Chop
01-07-2004, 01:48 PM
ewps...

thank god we don't have kettlebells

that sh!t hurts

Vash
01-07-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm gonna hafta throw a db version o' that into my workout.

Yay!

Ka
01-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Nice One
I'll give that a try
I do find Renagade Rows a killer excerise jsut by themselves

fa_jing
01-08-2004, 05:42 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler46.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler47.htm

This has been thought of, and in fact marketed already. :)

The only thing is, I think 16kg bells are more difficult to balance on, so in that respect it would work your grip more. Also, the handles are far slimmer than those of the bigger kbells.

fa_jing
01-08-2004, 05:51 PM
BTW, FP - 2 16kgs are good, but still not really optimal for someone of your strength, in terms of versatility of challenging exercises. However, the following exercises I think you will find challenging and fruitful. You should try my Kettlebell compound lifts - these will rock your boat:

All with 2 Kettlebells:

Dead Clean, Front squat into jerk, OH squat, clean(swing style) + jerk = 1 rep. Try this for reps.

Double snatches are awesome. (1 in each hand)

So are double swings. 1 in each hand, or 2 in both hands for a grip challenge.

Double bottoms up Clean + press

Double windmills --- good exercise. I love windmills with weight.

Single legged deadlift w/2 bells

fa_jing
01-08-2004, 05:55 PM
before someone goes and hurts themself, a double windmill is performed with one bell held overhead, and another held hanging towards the floor by the other arm. You pick up the second bell off of the floor after you bend over with the other held overhead. But you probably have Pavel's RKC video.

Ford Prefect
01-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the exercise complexes, fa_jing. I only have 2 16 kg's right now, so it's all I have to work with. I've found that the complexes will still nail me in the lungs even with the light weight. One thing I also found was that pistols were way easier with 2 kb's. I can do about 4 pistols with no weight, 2 with one kb, and about 8 with both of 'em in clean postition. I think they give me more stability that way.

I'm going to be moving into a place with workout space in June, so I'm going to build a home gym. It will have:

32-88 lbs sets of KB's
Olympic weight set w/racks and bench
treadmill
rowing ergometer
versa climber

I was even contemplating sets of clubbells since I'm getting a little nervous with my leverage bars. I don't know how much more weight my collars will handle before plates start flying through windows and falling on my head. Maybe I'll get sledge hammers and use those one handed. The longer handle should make it harder to control even with lighter weight. I'm slowly building up my equipment stores. I'll be ordering the 24-kg kb's next week...

Oh, and yes I have Pavel's book and video. ;)