PDA

View Full Version : How wrong am I? 2

Suntzu
01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
the last was a very informative thread.... let see how this one does......

Ford Prefect
01-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Your purposely trying to pull sumo style? If so, you could widen your stance a little and definately widen your grip. The pic of the bottom of the movement looks like your arms are bent. You want want your arms straight as an arrow (like you are flexing your tri's) else you'll tear a bicep when the weight goes up. Other than that general stuff it looks good.

Suntzu
01-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Your purposely trying to pull sumo style? yes... it feels the most natural to me....
If so, you could widen your stance a little and definately widen your grip. noted...
looks like your arms are bent. might be the shirt... might not... not sure but i'll pay more attention in the future...
You want want your arms straight as an arrow (like you are flexing your tri's) else you'll tear a bicep when the weight goes up. noted....

IronFist
01-07-2004, 11:50 AM
I think your grip should be about shoulder width apart. Just keep your arms vertical and straight. It might help to flex your triceps before you do the lift to ensure that your arms are straight.

Also, once you move up to using 45's it will get a bit easier because 45's are bigger than 35's and you won't have to start from quite as low of a position (cuz the bar will be higher).

Other than that... I don't do sumo deadlifts so I never really studied their form that much. Just remember to keep a tight arch and stick your butt out. Consciously tense the abs throughout the whole lift. It will protect you from hernias and help generate more overall tension and therefore more strength.

IronFist
01-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Oh dude I know what it is that looked out of place to me! Both of your hands are facing the same way. I prefer left palm facing forward and right palm facing back. I don't know if you're supposed to use alternate grip for Sumo deadlift, but I assume that you would.

I've heard, however, that too much deadlifting with an alternate grip can lead to back imbalances(?), so you might want to switch it up every once in a while. Instead of left forward right backward, switch to left backward right forward. They say you can lift more weight with an alternate grip, too.

Suntzu
01-07-2004, 12:15 PM
i tried the alt grip and switching it up.... i didn't like the feel that it has.... i felt lopsided... which thats probably the point but i just didn't like it...... the grip that i use feels more balanced....

somebody should do the box squats...

FatherDog
01-07-2004, 12:50 PM
I feel imbalanced when I do an alternate grip, personally.

I've never had a problem with both hands the same way, but then, I only pull about 250 these days, so what do I know.

Pork Chop
01-07-2004, 01:55 PM
I ain't showed you how to do them deadlifts propah yet? ;)

Sumo style's what I learned from my powerlifter friend back in Japan. Personally prefer straight legged deads.

He had that really wide, Louie Simmons type squat too...but then he was squating 6 plates for workouts, 8 in competition, and benching 3 plates for workouts, 4 for competition (yah, that's each side).

Toby
01-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Both hands pronated for me too. I've never had a problem with grip giving out, but my max is 300ish. I've tried supinated/pronated before and don't mind it, but I don't need to so I don't.

I do DL straight legged style too. Only thing I do different is I probably start with my bum a bit higher than yours. Also, in pic 3 I'd have more arch. Your back looks a bit straightish. Last thing is, you look like your weight is a bit forward (at the start. Maybe because the bar is forward of your feet. Try to shift your bum back, lower leg more vertical and bar closer to (or over) your feet. Then again, I know nothing about sumo style, so maybe I'm on the wrong track.

Good to see your photos. I've been meaning to get some of me up too. It's a good idea to get some free coaching.