PDA

View Full Version : choosing a style & instructor

Odie-wan
01-07-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm finally going to heed my body's advice and start TCC in lieu of another hard style. I have been around enough to recognize a good school/teacher for the more outwardly martial styles but I don't quite know how to go about evaluating TCC instructors. The school that I will probably go to teaches CC Chen's (Yang?) style in addition to Sun and Chen. There is another guy that teaches Ong style. I want to (eventually) learn the martial aspects of what I'm doing, not just the internal parts. What should I be asking or looking for in choosing my next teacher and style? Thanks in advance.

Sean

Odie-wan
01-07-2004, 02:20 PM
and I also have a Chang teacher nearby. (Just to muddy the waters further.)

Ray Pina
01-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I would do this:

Walk in very humbly, dressed in jeans and a button down shirt but wearing sneakers. Sit and watch a class. Afterwards, if you liked what seen so far, "Teacher, I've heard good things about you and I like your teaching style, can you show me a little of how it works."

He'll either be like, "Sure, let's push hands a little" (promising response) or start showing you form or doing things to you while wishing you remian stagnant.

Be polite. But it's your time and money. Be sure of what you''re getting yourself into and buyer beware.... Good luck! When you find the good stuff it's amazing!

ngokfei
01-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Research:

Mainly understand what TC is and what each style contains.
There are many good books out there so spend your time reading.

All teachers instruct differently. make sure by observation and discussion that this teacher is offering the kind of instruction you want. Many today have very little knowledge on applications and less on how to use it to defend yourself on the street.

Most begin in the same way so if you've never trained then any teacher will usually suffice. Make sure you don't get stuck in a long contract. You could be stuck paying for alot of junk.

If a seminar is available then if its not too expensive attend it.

There are very few teachers who will touch hands or offer free demos or instruction with strangers. Too much liability.

good luck.

Roll Back
01-09-2004, 01:33 PM
What should I be asking or looking for in choosing my next teacher and style? Thanks in advance.

Sean [/B]

Good questions. First you have to let the teacher know what you are looking for. (Health and fitness, stress release, self-defense or everything) The potential teacher regardless of the style should be able to do three things.1) Simply explain how thru his/her system you can achieve your goals. 2) After a verbal explanation a short demo of the form used to give a picture to the explanation. 3) After that, lightly crossing hands to get the feeling of the explanation and the picture. All this should take no more than 15 minutes. If you like what you heard, saw and felt give it a try for a month. In that month you can learn more about the teacher, style, lineage, philosophy ect. After the month if you want to compare with another style and teacher do the same thing. Three months, three schools, not a long time to pick out something you may stick with for years.

Good luck and have fun!

Odie-wan
01-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning toward Chang because of the application side. There are two places teaching it, 500 ft apart. The Shuai Chiao school (Ho Chun) originally was the only one, but the person who taught Chang there moved down the street and is affiliated with another school now. I'm not sure yet which school would understand better how to teach and apply the techniques. I think your suggestion of spending some time with each would give me a good comparison. I wonder if I might be better off learning some Shuai Chaio (cross-training?) too because of its close links to Chang style.

foolinthedeck
01-09-2004, 03:10 PM
also, make sure you judge other students.
are they smiling? at you, to themselves? smugly? friendly?
do people say hello, ask your name? do they wish you goodbye?
having a good teacher is nothing if there is a bad atmosphere in class. although it is better than having a great atmosphere and no teaching.
are there different levels of students evident? are they all advanced? beginners? all men? all young old etc?

the best thing i would do is ask a question to which u already know the answer (applies to all questions, even those that u think u dont know the answer to..) if u feel like u always knew that when they reply, its good..

or maybe not. i dont know, theres no way to judge this.
you should either be able to 'just know' or you dont.

kungfu cowboy
01-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi Odie-wan,

Here (www.immortalpalm.com) is the website of a good school in Cleveland that teaches Chen Style, Chen Qingzhou lineage in Cleveland.

kungfu cowboy
01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
BTW, is that Feeman Ong style? Who is teaching it?

Odie-wan
01-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the link. I met Carl D when a few years ago and there was a Chen class going on.

The Ong teacher is Tim Loomis.
www.ybd-online.com
I don't know much more than that other than that it is a Yang derivative.

Odie-wan
01-12-2004, 06:01 AM
Went to a class Saturday. Learned some Chang taught with application from day 1. Also a smidge of Sun. The instructor was a shuai jiao fighter, but hashas done TCC for 20-odd years (Hao, Sun and Chang). Thanks for all the advice. I'll be comfortable learning from him. Happy New Year and good luck to all.

Sean