PDA

View Full Version : new study on farmed salmon

rubthebuddha
01-08-2004, 03:01 PM
FYI: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001832349_websalmon08.html

IronFist
01-08-2004, 07:39 PM
I heard about that. :eek: :eek:

wall
01-09-2004, 02:45 AM
I'm really getting fed up with all these studies...

tuna - dangerous, too much mercury
salmon - dangerous, carcinogenic chemicals
beef - dangerous, steroids and the mad-cow unknown
chicken - dangerous, hormones and other carcinognics
pork - dangerous, steroids and other carcinogenics
milk - dangerous, hormones
vegetables - dangerous, pesticides and genetically modified cells
water - dangerous, chlorine and other chemicals

........so should we starve? Or all move to remote lands and eat only what we grow or hunt? Or is it all a manipulation by the various players in the food industry? Or...?

I think I will just eat whatever and hope to live a reasonable long life.

W

Vash
01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
I've been trying to locate a dealer of mad-cow tainted meat, but ain't anybody sayin'. I figger it's got to at least add something to the taste.

Plus, having steriods in my meat saves me the time and moneyof gettin' 'em by myself:eek:

;)

Spark
01-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Go Vegan!! :p

Ford Prefect
01-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Your best bet is actually buying organic, free-range meats. This will ensure that no chemicals and hormones were used on the animals or their food, and it will also ensure they eat what they are supposed to eat.

inic
01-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Your best bet is actually buying organic, free-range meats. This will ensure that no chemicals and hormones were used on the animals or their food, and it will also ensure they eat what they are supposed to eat.

Been saying this for 4 freakin years.... why does no one listen to me.
its the same with all food too, not just meat

Ford Prefect
01-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Agreed. I had thought of that after I posted because I could have added that most vegans still get just as much chemicals and hormones through non-organic fruits and veggies.

Serpent
01-12-2004, 08:24 PM
The trouble with that is when you eat out or get takeaway and stuff. Who knows what sheeyit goes into that stuff. Even a good restaurant serving a prime steak, for example - that steak could be chemicalised up the yin yang.

Spark
01-14-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty sure there are no growth hormones in vegetables.

The only problem with organics and free range is that, especially in the US and Canada, there is no legislation stating that you must in fact be farming organically or free range in order to call your product such. Several companies or farms that call themselves organic are in fact not. Our only hope is an out an out ban like many european nations have done.

Ford Prefect
01-14-2004, 12:03 PM
They use plenty of chemicals in veggies and fruits for them to grow large and healthy. Let's not even get into the pesticides they use to keep them pest-free...

What you said is partially true although states and the FDA are snapping into regulation. You just need to research a place before buying from it.

inic
01-14-2004, 12:24 PM
That's why I only get stuff from local dealers/farms. My favorite veg's come from my grandparents in NH... They have 40 acres of property and my grandmother has a little farm going up there.
The only thing that is a b1tch to get around here is raw milk.... The country has this stupid rule that no state (except california, and i think hawaii) can sell raw milk.... How stupid is that? I mean, seriously, do people think these days? I can't even get cheese here with raw milk in it!

Edit: oh, ford, if you know any good places around here (in boston area), please let me know. i'm always on the lookout.

Ford Prefect
01-14-2004, 12:45 PM
I'll send some stuff along tomorrow. Some places for good fruit and veggies, but no meat.