PDA

View Full Version : Kids/Streetsmarts

ghoyd
09-20-2000, 06:49 AM
Anyone know where you can find information online about teaching children to be streetwise? Or even comments by forum readers would be welcome. I am looking for everything from techniques to things like having a password to go with a stranger,,,that sort of thing.

Gary Hoyd
MIDWESTERN JUN FAN FIGHTING ALLIANCE (http://www.geocities.com/ghoyd/)

Gary Hoyd
http://www.geocities.com/ghoyd/
MIDWESTERN JUN FAN FIGHTING ALLIANCE

Water Dragon
09-20-2000, 06:08 PM
Wazzup ghoyd? Long time no speak!

You need to be more specific. How old are the kids? what sex? what type of environment? Street smarts in Nap and street smarts in Gary are two different things.

Get a hold of Don Burns at Indiana University. He runs the IU martial arts programs. He puts on some excellent rape prevention programs which focus almost exclusively on awareness. He may have more info on the subject than anyone else in the state.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Robinf
09-20-2000, 06:48 PM
Your local police department might have ideas on street smarts for kids and even be willing to come in help out, bring the finger printing and id kits and so on. Check them out.

Robin

ghoyd
09-24-2000, 04:36 AM
Hi Water Dragon, RobinF,

Actually, I was wanting to donate some time to my daughters school. She is in 1st grade, but the grades range up to 6th. I figured this sort of thing is where my interest and time are, it just fit.

Specifically as RobinF said, fingerprint pads, ID kits, etc. Teach the kids about passwords, run some senerios by them to let them know what to look out for, etc.

I was hoping to find some info online, or perhaps we could get a thread going on here.

WHAT WOULD YOU TELL YOUR CHILDREN TO KEEP THEM SAFE FROM PREDETORS?

Gary Hoyd
MIDWESTERN JUN FAN FIGHTING ALLIANCE (http://www.geocities.com/ghoyd/)
http://pic.geocities.com/clipart/c/e/practice.gif

jojitsu27
09-24-2000, 05:38 AM
>>>WHAT WOULD YOU TELL YOUR CHILDREN TO KEEP THEM SAFE FROM PREDETORS?

Good topic! I would first 1) Never talk to strangers 2) Never go to a strangers car if they call you over there 3) If you see a stranger hanging about your home or school, tell and adult.
4) If someone tries to grab you or touch you in any way start screaming bloody hell at the top of your lungs, this will most likely scare the person away.

-jojitsu27

Robinf
09-24-2000, 03:41 PM
Definately teach kids to be cautious around strangers, as in the above post. But, also teach the kids what a stranger is and what one looks like. A lot of little kids have big imaginations, and a "stranger" is often seen as someone with fangs and drool--some sort of monster. But, if you present yourself as a stranger, they might begin to understand that a stranger is a human being that hasn't been approved by their parents for them to go with.

shimera
09-26-2000, 12:58 AM
strangers have the best candy.....

8stepsifu
09-26-2000, 04:00 AM
one of my earlier instructors when I was 8 told us if we are in a car to hold the horn down to attract attention and use our environment to aid us. Such as running to a populated area. I always teach children hand released because they wont hurt each other practicing. The sad thing is that many adults don't come to the aid of people in trouble. There was some psyco pervert chasing a girl through a college library. She was after him telling people to stop him and everyone let him pass. That kind of stuff makes me sick. 20 or so people afraid to help. I think its our responsability as martial artist to offer some form of assistance. BTW this guy wasn't even armed, but everyone was too scared to lift a finger. Someone should at least have thrown a book or a stappler or something

8Step Sifu

shimera
09-26-2000, 05:38 AM
your right that makes me sick too, **** even an untrained middle aged woman could of made a powerfull deterent by picking up a stapler and placing a few stables in his skull. hell the least someone could of down was trip the guy jeeze.

totallyfrozen
09-27-2000, 12:16 PM
Well, unfortunately, the world seems to be full of cowards. I was told once that I you were being chased, you are better off screaming, "FIRE!" than "rape!" or "help!" because EVERYONE is afraid of fire and will react but no one wants to get between you and a psychotic murderer. Sad, huh? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
I can't imagine letting that sort of thing happen! wow! The cowardess of some people! I would have thought a MAist might have gotten a bit of pleasure out of rescuing someone in need while getting to test out some techniques. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Ok...so I'm a violent and crazy person /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif think what you will. I would have enjoyed throwing a desk at the guy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

On another note, to answer the origninal question, you might want to check the F.B.I.'s website. They may have a program and/or some material on that very topic of child safety.

"There is only ONE karate"