PDA

View Full Version : Book Learnin'

Vash
01-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Got a question for the peeps . . .

If one has a somewhat firm grounding in martial arts, would it be beneficial to begin practicing from a martial text? Not an attempt to master the style, just experimentation with different training approaches.

And any tips you might wanna add will be taken.

peace.

IronFist
01-08-2004, 07:59 PM
The WC people will disagree, but I think if you have a background in some sort of martial art you will be able to get the gist of a similar style from a book. Ok. Well, maybe a book, if the book is WELL WRITTEN. A video will probably be a lot more helpful than a book, tho.

A lot of it depends on the quality of the book or video, tho. I've seen some really crappy books and some really crappy "instructional" videos, too. But I've also seen some good ones.

joedoe
01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
What you can learn from a book is very limited, even with prior MA experience. Even learning stuff in your own art from a book is questionable. Books will give you an idea of what an art looks like, but they have quite limited learning value.

Vash
01-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
A video will probably be a lot more helpful than a book, tho.

A lot of it depends on the quality of the book or video, tho. I've seen some really crappy books and some really crappy "instructional" videos, too. But I've also seen some good ones.

I completely forgot to mention video references.

Thanks.

And yes, quality needs to be outstanding, since there isn't a body there to give you live feedback.

Vash
01-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Of those who have learned and\or applied lessons from non-instructor sources, how do you feel your training has been effected? By this, I mean do you feel that you've got at least a basic grasp of the material?

rubthebuddha
01-08-2004, 11:15 PM
what about two hosers learning from the same vids?

Vash
01-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
what about two hosers learning from the same vids?

que?

rubthebuddha
01-09-2004, 12:00 AM
one person learning from a vid without a practice partner is like writing code with no way of submitting it to see if it works.

having a second hoser handy, to try the goodies out on, and to figure out what the video means -- together -- could make it easier/better/etc.

quiet man
01-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
The WC people will disagree,

I'm a WC peep and I disagree. I would have to choose b). Or d). IMHO, you simply MUST have a (live) teacher present. Someone who can show you, someone who can TOUCH you, someone whose technique you can FEEL, so that you can memorize what he shows you, go home, practice your head off and then return to the class where he can show you again and CORRECT you. No book or video will ever be that good. A hard light hologram of Yip Man maybe :D :p ...

shaolinboxer
01-09-2004, 08:22 AM
You can learn a lot ABOUT the martial arts from books, on an intellectual or scholarly level.

Also, you can pick up new techniques related to methods you are familiar with. Sometimes I see techniques in books and then ask my instructor about them and he'll show me how to do them.

Qigong
01-09-2004, 10:36 AM
i think you can learn martial arts from book to a certain extent. shaolin students learned their forms and stances from books, but at the same time they are guided by an abbott or teacher. but i still think its is possible to learn stances or forms from books, jus maybe not execution as well as you could from teachers of course. i would learn from books until i could find a teacher to teach me what i want to know. books are more like a starting step for people who wanna start but havent yet. books are the best way to introduce it to you so you are familiar when you DO start. they also can teach you some things you might learn in class, but you might get them quicker in class because you already are familiar with them, plus you have a teacher. so basically, books are a quarter as useful as getting taught. they give you knowledge and understanding, while teaching gives you the actual instruction and proper way to do it. so together they are the best thing for you. i dunno...my opinion....you NEED books as well as you NEED teaching. but you can get teaching without books, but i dont think you should use books without teaching...

Becca
01-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Of Course you can learn something from a book. May not be what you think you are learning, though. Only an instructor can help you avoid that trap. I have a "history book" that insists that Ceasar and Mark Antony was the same person.:rolleyes: Trusting a book without some input from a good source is silly.

Vash
01-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Trusting a book without some input from a good source is silly.

Indeed. On the books I plan on referrencing, I've gotten quite a bit of positive input from practitioners of the style.

Not really planning on making a dedication to the style, just a few things here and there I want to work with to get some new angles on my karate training.

Becca
01-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Not really planning on making a dedication to the style, just a few things here and there I want to work with to get some new angles on my karate training.
Yep. Now that is a good way to use a book. I spend some of my personal time "cross-training" with a Tai Chi instructor. I don't study it per say, but the insight from him and his style is a valuble resource for helping my understanding of my art(s).

IronFist
01-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by quiet man

I'm a WC peep and I disagree.

I told you :D

apoweyn
01-13-2004, 08:28 AM
I'm not a big believer in books for applications.

Concepts, philosophy, history, etc. yeah. But not applications. Partly because applications need to be experienced (from both directions) to be understood. And partly because of the limitations of the medium. Printed materials are some of the worst offenders when it comes to depicting an attacker standing there, arm extended, while the defender rattles off a series of counters. The 'freeze frame' depiction in a book runs directly contrary to reality.

Videos are one step better. At least then you can see the actual flow of events.

Books can, however, guide you in reapplying things you already know. A book on training regimens, for example, can teach you to set up a training regimen using techniques and applications you already know. A sparring book could provide combinations you haven't trained before, provided you're already familiar with the moves involved. That sort of thing works, I suppose.

All in all, though, you have to have the people. Simple as that.