PDA

View Full Version : Beginning sparring question

yinyang
09-21-2000, 07:22 PM
Having difficulty defining between anger and aggression during sparring match. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas to focus on the sparring smartly versus just reacting due to nerves. Does this just take time and experience?

twktcc
09-22-2000, 02:48 AM
IMHO, I feel that anger / agression are two things you try to get rid of in this situation, as well as in a "real" situation. Keep the mind calm and focused. It aint easy... you just have to try. It has alot to do with overcoming fear/ nerves, whatever you want to call it. The only way I know of is to do alot of sparring/ fighting and getting hit alot. You lose your fear of it and you start to relax and focus.
Those "reacting to nerves" are not a bad thing if you have trained enough that those reactions do the job. You want it to be a reaction without thought but with control.
Hope this helped, /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Regards,
Dave

Remember to be self- centered but not selfish

Robinf
09-23-2000, 04:46 AM
TWK said it. It take experience. I found that anger abounds because of two things--1. ego (thinking you should be better than you're opponent and you're going to "show him"), 2. you take it personally--a lot of new student take getting hit personally. It takes time to realize it's nothing personal. It also takes time to get rid of that ego. But it does happen.

My best advice for not getting angry when you get hit--don't take the hit. If there's a kick or a punch coming at you, don't stand there.

Take everything as a learning experience, because that's what it is. There's no winning or losing, it's all gaining experience.

------

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

rogue
09-23-2000, 06:21 AM
It's also good if you take a hit and learn what it feels like. Get used to it, learn to keep control of yourself when in pain. You think someones going to stop beating the snot out of you just because you took a good one to the gut?

I used to be daga

mild7
09-23-2000, 01:50 PM
Personally.. I can't seem to spar/fight while keeping a calm and relaxed mental state. Nor can I fight effectively when I'm extremely hyped up and angry, as I just go all over the place.
What works for me is to spar "fiercely".. there is a difference between that and being angry. In a way it is kind of a focused anger.. determination you could say. Basically an attitude where you say, my opponent is going down, and I don't care if he hits me.. I'll eat it.
Works for me.

yinyang
09-24-2000, 05:20 PM
thank you all for the above replies.
I have gotten use to being hit (not that much fun) but it has also showed me how to block. I tend to be somewhat hesitant to throw a punch or kick and so then I know that my body language is completely readable. There is just so much to think about when you are face to face with someone. And then, could it be that I am thinking too much? Well, I will take all the suggestions for my next match.