PDA

View Full Version : Question about a WC clip

IronFist
01-10-2004, 01:38 AM
Hi,

Please scroll down to "Techniques" and then watch "Entry Technique." It's the first one in the second row.

Link (http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/tech.asp).

wtf is the person on the left doing in the beginning?

Why does the person on the right just stand there facing forward? He doesn't even look at the person on the left. And his punch isn't even aimed at the person on the left.

What kind of entry technique is that? A jumping biu sao?

Brithlor
01-10-2004, 02:25 AM
The leg is lifted to occupy the lower gate to protect from kicks. The hand is raised to protect the high gate.... That seems clear enough. That prevents a quick kick to the nutz when if you attack your opponent (among other things).

No idea why the guy on the right doesn't aim the punch, maybe it's because he's just demonstrating, and "giving" the guy on the right something to work the technique on. I'm sure he can do it against an aimed punch as well.

Brithlor
01-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Watch the clips of Philip Redmond demonstrating it.

foolinthedeck
01-10-2004, 01:40 PM
The leg is lifted to occupy the lower gate to protect from kicks

what? even if he's not kicking you??? thats a new one, maybe we should pak empty air and lop invisble strikes too!! even if it is as you say, his left foot comes off the ground too - so theres clearly no rooting going on.

No idea why the guy on the right doesn't aim the punch

well, the punch actually comes in after the biu... so its either choreographed or its meant to be a defence.

things to notice - they are in a boxing ring. - they both have white socks.

yenhoi
01-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Does Phil always have to come on here and explain that the people in the clips are only students?

Cameras, lighting, and angles are not easy. This is an okay demonstration, I doubt its the actual drill.

:eek:

CaptinPickAxe
01-10-2004, 04:06 PM
I need a "shaking my head" smilie...

Phil Redmond
01-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Ironfist
>>Why does the person on the right just stand there facing forward? He doesn't even look at the person on the left. And his punch isn't even aimed at the person on the left.<<
It should be obvious that this is a training exercise for beginners. That's why the person on the right is standing there. The student on the left is practising proper foot placement with regards to the person on the right. The entry is done from far away to train the lunge. This is a cooperative exercise that progresses to having the training partner moving laterally, to the rear, punching, kicking, advancing, randomly, and eventually end up in free fighting, etc. My site was developed for the average person how doesn't know WC so I want to keep it basic. Maybe I should put a disclaimer saying, "we are sorry that we aren't really trying to hurt the other person as these are only training exercises"

IronFist
01-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Dude relax your site is cool. I was just curious.

burnsypoo
01-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Dude relax your site is cool. I was just curious.

Whenever I'm curious about what's on for dinner I ask
"WTF is for dinner?", makes for a good conversation that way.

foolinthedeck
01-11-2004, 07:45 AM
if u post it or show it on a website, u should be open to criticism of it, thats how we learn isnt it?