PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts I just had about why some schools suck

IronFist
01-10-2004, 01:49 AM
Ok maybe this has already been discussed but these thoughts just came into my head.

Ok, maybe "suck" is the wrong word. Maybe I should have said "don't produce good fighters."

1. Punch blocking drills are done such that even if the blocker did nothing the punch still wouldn't hit them. In other words, they're not done from a close enough range.

2. Counters to punches and kicks involve the punch or kick being held out there and not returning, which is not realistic. Same thing with kicks. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go slower for beginners, but it's unlikely that you'll be able to hit someone's punching arm like 5 times before they bring it back in, don't you think?

I guess any technique that can't be done on a full speed punch isn't really worth learning.

Ok. It's past my bedtime.

Ikken Hisatsu
01-10-2004, 03:38 AM
yeah you cetainly put the bumsex on the correct there. one of my pet peeves is people who dont try and hit you when you're practicing blocking drills. it doesnt help either of you in the slightest. counters also should be only one or two moves, anything more than that is simply not going to come to you naturaly in a streetfight without a serious amount of training.

shaolinboxer
01-10-2004, 08:38 AM
That is totally irritating. sometime I just stand there and to nothing when people attack to make sure they're being sincere. Of course, I get out of the way at the last second. Many counter techniques are actually dependent on the withdrawl as much as the attack.

Judge Pen
01-10-2004, 10:09 AM
When working with a newer student on punching drills I will tell them to hit me square in the chest. Then, at some point in the near future, I will not move of block and see if they hit me. They usually don't, but they realize they are cheating me and them at that point. It all comes down to your teacher and how they conduct these drills.

Edit: SB, you beat me to the post! :D

SifuAbel
01-10-2004, 12:11 PM
I agee 100%.

Of when the drill has the guy just do a singular technique then freezes while waiting for the reaction.

The drill should have the person controlling the opponenets action so he CAN'T continue moving the way he wants.

rogue
01-10-2004, 01:32 PM
This subject is a pet peeve of mine. One steps are bad enough, one steps without any commitment are worse, one steps that stand no chance of hitting get the attacker hit by me. I had a brown belt jump back and scream like a little girl when he realized that the punch I was feeding him was really going to hit and hit somewhat hard.:D

Vash
01-10-2004, 06:01 PM
We've never had that problem with the more experienced students. It's always the newbies that are afraid to hurt someone. By the time we get to green belt, we want some blood on our hands as opposed to our shirts.

Grrr! We're scary, like bald man from XMA!!!

IronFist
01-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Woohoo! I said something and people agreed with me!

rogue
01-10-2004, 06:25 PM
No, we didn't.

IronFist
01-10-2004, 07:41 PM
^ You're a poopy head, rogue.

rogue
01-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Just keeping your streak alive bro' :D

David Jamieson
01-11-2004, 08:53 AM
a technique can be learned in a very singular way.

the repitition of non commited strikes and non resisting opponent is where the real mistake lies.

for instance, when you learn a new technique, you do it slow and get an understanding of it from a mechanical sense.

Next, you come to speed, then bring in power and hone the technique until it works as a singular technique against full power, full speed or fully resisting opponent.

If you continuously repeat on the slow motion non-commited non resisting technique over and over again, then that will be the limit of your understanding of a tech.

Techniques , like anything else are best learned in a progressive manner. If you are not progressively building on each and every tech, then you are practicing badly, or incorrectly at least.

As you become more advanced, understanding the mechanics should take less time than making the tech work for real. So it is natural that rank beginners practice insanely slow and thus seemingly useless techs for hours on end. As they grow, they "should" also grow in their ways of learning and internalizing the techniques in their style.

cheers

neit
01-11-2004, 01:13 PM
i find that every time i train with someone new it takes a couple minutes to become comfortable with actually throwing commited strikes at them. also after doing a drill for a while i find it helpful to "reset" and make sure i am still attacking properly and not just flowing into whatever defensive technique they are doing.

on the other hand i am rather reluctant to "chase" peoples limbs if their attacks are way off. it gets me too overextended and is a bad habit.