PDA

View Full Version : Ving Tsung/ Wing Chun - What is it?

mossman
01-10-2004, 09:32 PM
I am new to Wing Chun and I am trying to decide if I want to take lessons. First - Is Ving Tsung the same thing?

1.What is Wing Chun? Is it like karate?

2. Can someone give me a website with info?

3. How long does it take to get good at this art and use it effectivily in a fight?

Just tell me something about it. Thanks

Brithlor
01-11-2004, 01:34 AM
Go to www.wingchunkwoon.com ... it has a lot of information on a particular style of Wing Chun.

BTW, can you find out which lineage it is? Just ask your potential teacher what lineage he is in...

mossman
01-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Here are the websites of my two different choices:

1 - http://www.vingtsuncenter.com/ourschool.html

2 - http://www.wingchun-sf.com/richmond/rc-bio.htm

So whats the difference here?

foolinthedeck
01-11-2004, 08:09 AM
those two websites are really very different.
the ving tsun site makes a big deal about where they are located - 4 pictures of the 'store front'!!
the wing chun site makes a big deal about lineage.

on that immediate basis i with all my own bias would go for the wing chun one.

but visit both, watch, participate, talk, mention the other school and get their opinions on each other.

mossman
01-11-2004, 08:32 AM
So the styles are both "Wing Chun" but are really different?

kj
01-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mossman
I am new to Wing Chun and I am trying to decide if I want to take lessons. First - Is Ving Tsung the same thing?

1.What is Wing Chun? Is it like karate?

Wing Chun, in and of itself, is quite different from most forms of karate in many respects. It is, however and IME, sometimes taught in a manner that strongly resembles popular karate.

Wing Chun varies as much in practice and application as its exponents do. While we may each have a strong conception of what Wing Chun is and is not, I am no longer convinced that we all share a common vision of it even in the abstract.

Each school and group will be unique to greater and lesser degrees. IMHO, it is something each of us needs to experience and assess for ourselves. The more and different experiences we are able to acquire, the better for our informed, if still subjective judgements.

2. Can someone give me a website with info?

Here are some starters from among my favorite and informative sites:

http://www.wingchun.com
http://www.wingchunkuen.com
http://www.hchwingchun.com.au/

There are many, many more. And of course most of us are naturally partial to our own, or our lineage's own sites - far too numerous to list. (Though if interested, I'll be more than happy to link you to ours, LOL.) A web search, as already mentioned, should keep you quite busy!

3. How long does it take to get good at this art and use it effectivily in a fight?

Some will tell you 3 years, some will say 10 years, some will say 3 weeks or 3 months, some will say a lifetime. I don't mean to be difficult about it, but it totally "depends" on an infinite number of variables, including:

How diligently and consistently you practice
The degree to which your luck or fortitude avails you of quality instruction and training partners
The training philosophy and methodology employed
What your criteria for "good" is
What your definition of a "fight," and "fight effectively" are
Your personal goals and desires
Compatibility with your instructor(s) and training partners
Ad infinitum

Even within a given Wing Chun branch or lineage, the quality or nature of the training can vary dramatically. Not only will the training itself differ, but so will the "culture" and atmosphere of schools and groups. Did I mention that it is really best to experience and determine for yourself? :)

Good luck in your search.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Bob8
01-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Do not know if these two schools are located near you,
but try to visit them both. You selected two YM lineage
(Lo Man Kam and Moy Yat) kwoons it might be interesting to
see other lineages too. Hope this helps a little.

Canton Wing Chun Kung Fu
9926 Main Street, Suite 201, Fairfax VA 22031
Email: wingchuninfo@cox.net
Notes: Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun System.

Yuen Kay San Wing Chun
Email: wingchuninfo@cox.net
Web: http://members.cox.net/hralston
Notes: Yuen Kay San Wing Chun taught by Sifu Alton Miller to the public in Vienna, Virginia. Contact email for more information.

Brithlor
01-11-2004, 04:58 PM
I must agree with the rest of the posters here:

You must visit both of them... The Wing Chun school may have more knowledge and the sifu more skill... than the Ving Tsun sifu, but if the atmosphere isn't compatable with you, or you just don't have fun there then even a school that offers slightly inferior teaching would be better for you, since the enjoyment you get from going to that school would allow you to reach much higher levels of wing chun.

Both are probably very good, but do check out both of them before deciding...

Just don't watch the sifu (exlusively)... they always look impressive, but the one that is more impressive may not make the better students. Watch the students, and take note of their level and try to compare them with the other school.

But I think in the long run you should look for the wing chun school that you enjoy going to most.

BTW, to answer your question about using wing chun for self defense: even in your first few months of wing chun -- if you are being taught skills that are sound and effective in prinicple -- then even if you can't apply the entire system yet it will still aid you in a self defense situation. But I think for the average person with a decent school and a good ammount of enthusiasm for wing chun will get to a pretty competent level within 5 years... I'm not at that point yet but from those I've seen and talked to that seems to hold true (that doesn't mean you'll be invicible ofcourse :)).

yuanfen
01-11-2004, 05:32 PM
The second kwoon (Lo Man Kam lineage) is run by John Kang- who is on this forum and is unlikely to toot his own horn.
He is not a narrow ideologue and is familiar with a broad spectrum
of approaches to wing chun.
I dont see how a beginner can be wrong in getting started learning wing chun from him.

kj
01-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
The second kwoon (Lo Man Kam lineage) is run by John Kang- who is on this forum and is unlikely to toot his own horn.
He is not a narrow ideologue and is familiar with a broad spectrum
of approaches to wing chun.
I dont see how a beginner can be wrong in getting started learning wing chun from him.

Ditto that.

John also has a wealth of knowledge in other relevant areas, including acupuncture and TCM, as illustrated through his contributions in the currently running jow thread.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

tiger_1
01-12-2004, 10:04 AM
My friend first find informations from history of wing chun , informations for wing chun founders, for strategy of center line , for beimo trou. - im hope that its be great start for you , and im sure for good progres in kung fu - tiger_1:rolleyes:

Gangsterfist
01-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Wing chun and Ving Tsun are the same thing. Since mandoran is not a latin based language it has to be translated fenitically. The Portugese were actually the first to translate chinese language into a latin based language. Then the Spanish were after that. So it is a pain in the but to read chinese words in english. You will get used to it after a while; especially if you start training wing chun. There is a lot of jargin and you will learn a lot of chinese words just by taking the martial art itself.

As far as wing chun versus other martial arts, I would suggest training with WC. I am not trying to be an elitist by any means. I have trained in TKD, Akido, Okinawan Karate, Taijiquqn Yang family, and wing chun. All of the systems I have taken have their strong points, and all of them can be very effective in combat. There is no superior system, only superior fighters and good teachers. Finding a good teacher can be hard, but once you find one you will know if they are good or not. If you practice everyday and put a lot of hard work (which is what kung fu translates to in english) into your martial art then you will have the upper hand on someone who doesn't reguardless of style.

I train in the Yip Man lineage. You may want to research what lineage you are going to train in. Each lineage will have similarities and differences, so you may want to do a bit of research before commiting. I like my training and my lineage, and continue to train in it. I will say that WC easy to advance in if you train hard, perhaps one of the easiest martial arts I have ever taken due to its simplicity. I would say Taiji (tai chi) is probably the hardest I have ever taken. I train both taiji and WC every week. Good luck on making your decision.