PDA

View Full Version : the other 3 treasures...

David Jamieson
01-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Question for you buddhist types, particularly of the Shaolin variety. :)

How do the three treasures of shaolin fall into play with the three teasures a.k.a. the buddha, the dharma, the sangha?

just askin

cheers

yuanfen
01-12-2004, 06:14 AM
a.k.a. the buddha, the dharma, the sangha?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The main treasures.
Gives you ontology (what is there), ethics(springs of action) and the community(the sentient connection).

canglong
01-12-2004, 09:22 AM
According to the research of the Ving Tsun Museum as stated by Master Meng:

"What is Shaolin? Before looking at the technical expression of a martial art, you have to understand the essense of Shaolin in the first place.

I. Three Treasures of Shaolin
A. Chan
B. Martial Arts
C. Health

For a martial art to be Shaolin, it has to address all three treasures of Shaolin. Each of these treasures can be broken down:

A. Three Treasures of Chan (Also refered to as the three refuges)
1. Buddha (Master)
2. Dharma (Teaching, doctrines)
3. Sangha (family/community)

B. Three Treasures of Shaolin Martial Arts
1. Gong Fa (Specialized Skill)
2. Tao Lu (Sets/ patterns)
3. Ge Dou (Fighting)

C. Three Treasures of Health
1. Essence (Jing)
2. Energy (Qi)
3. Spirit (Shen)

Wuyi= Ancient term used in China representing Martial Arts."

David Jamieson
01-12-2004, 09:31 AM
thanks yuanfen, thanks canglong, i am closer now :D

cheers

blooming lotus
01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Please don't jump on me here, but while we're talking ....the idea of the master is to have someone to model against right, to act as an embodied example...I'm good with the rest of it but what happens when you can't find that? That 100% no comprimse example...I've kind of been troubled on and off but deeply by this.....

I plan to make my way over to see Shi Suxi or similar, but something came up and I think I'm going to Japan...what's a person suppose to do..take a pause on spirituality.....have unjustified faith...grow an ego??? Any thoughts here would be valued ;) cheers

yuanfen
01-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Begin by sitting properly. The lotus may yet bloom.

blooming lotus
01-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Dude, I can sit in lotus for hours meditating on newly empty cup.....

and as for blooming.......... WHEN I reach full bloom, I'm gonna have to assume I'll be dead ;)

David Jamieson
01-12-2004, 11:37 PM
If you are looking for a master of kungfu, you have to look a while usually to find one.

In the sense of buddha, the master can be looked upon as a symbol and to instill mindfulness of the mastery in the self, the potential for mastery in the self and the manifestation of mastery in the self.

If you are looking for a master of the universe in human form, you will not find one.

The master is inside you. That is the lesson of the buddha mind or tathagata womb.

cheers

canglong
01-13-2004, 10:41 AM
bl,
yeah I am in agreement with kung lek here substitue mastery of self for (master) and I think you are on the right path, I think mainly because everyone and everything can be a teacher or has something to offer from which you can learn.

blooming lotus
01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Look ..this is no doubt going to come off conceited but I know I'm on the right path (even if only for the fact that I'm looking in earnest) ....doesn't help much though.....not that I'm hanging my head in my pity though because I have no doubt I'll find what I'm looking for and if I don't, maybe that's just not what I was looking for in the first place......

you can't always get what you want..but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.....

life's funny like that...but it won't stop me searching...or admitting I am :)
happy journeys, soldier on and kick as* if you gotta :D

canglong
01-15-2004, 08:59 AM
bl,
Being on the right path is only part of the equation it is true that different paths can lead to the same destination. So with one path known as Hung Fa Yi it is taught there are three stages to any journey fau kiu or wandering, saan kiu or little awareness along with a little focus and then weng kiu (as a side note is part of the history of were the term weng chun is derived of) and this is complete knowledge coupled with complete focus. One of the main teachings to be passed on by Shaolin is how to arrive at weng kiu and how to know you are there based on real shared experiences and with this one can see how valuable the treasures of Buddha, Darma and Sangha become. You sound like you could possibly be saan kiu the question is will your path lead you to a state of weng kiu or not and can you even decipher whether or not your path is capable of such a destination in other words what are the realities of your buddha darma and sangha?

blooming lotus
01-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Can..

We are all on a wandering wether we realise it or not, and this is why the enlightment process is so important...to help us realise that. My life is often like the needles of a compass spinning, and a person needs to locate their own personal north. I've come to realise that each action...each movement I make is a part of the ceremony to create the ultimate masterpiece ...life....and each piece of that ceromy is while enivitable, a part that could have gone another way altogether.

My sense of sangha is what holds it all together and while I am detatched from any outcome...I seem to effortlessly hit my mark on many if not most occassions...just as the artist who takes longer to lay their brushes than to paint the work never fails to create that beautifully harmonious page or how the archer while seemingly oblivious to the target fusses over his relationship with his bow yet srtikes it every time. I feel at the end of the day, we are all warriors of a sort and my dharma is good. Contreversy is often an ironic means of spreading this dharma, but it's tried and proven and this is my goal...it's what I'm naturally geared to do, and wearing unknowledged slack for it's pertuation is my pleasure.

blooming lotus
01-15-2004, 04:28 PM
the longest journey begins with one step......

Zen cannot be understood from the outside, from the point of view of an observer, reguarless of how eager that observer may be to learn......

"It is important to realise that there are no right or wrong answers to zen questions. The objective of dharma is to make you move your mind...use your mind...in the same way physical excerise makes you use your body....if you keep at Zen long enough, trying to work out questions that have no "correct" answer, you'll gradually find yourself able to move your mind in new ways and you'll graduallt find yourself in possession of new strengths with which you can expand your horizons"

and that one's from Chuck Norris

;) Peace

canglong
01-15-2004, 05:28 PM
you'll gradually find yourself able to move your mind in new ways and you'll graduallt find yourself in possession of new strengths with which you can expand your horizons" and what will this accomplish... this does not address the significance of the realization of truth through shared experience something very important to cha'n teaching/learning.

blooming lotus
01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
IT WILL ACHIEVE THE INSPIRATION OF THE THOUGHT THAT WILL DICTATE THE EXPERIENCE YOU ARE ABOUT TO SHARE :D

canglong
01-16-2004, 07:01 AM
bl,
It is experience that dictates thought and not thought that dictates experience.

blooming lotus
01-16-2004, 03:58 PM
We are what we think:
All that we are arises
With our thoughts.
With our thoughts
We make the world.

Buddha

canglong
01-17-2004, 08:26 AM
"A truly good man is not aware of his goodness,
And is therefore good.
A foolish man tries to be good,
And is therefore not good.

A truly good man does nothing,
Yet leaves nothing undone.
A foolish man is always doing,
Yet much remains to be done.

When a truly kind man does something, he leaves nothing undone.
When a just man does something, he leaves a great deal to be done.
When a disciplinarian does something and no one responds,
He rolls up his sleves in an attempt to enforce order.

Therefore when Tao is lost, there is goodness.
When goodness is lost, there is kindness.
When kindness is lost, there is justice.
When justice is lost, there is ritual.
Now ritual is the husk of faith and loyalty, the beginning of confusion.
Knowlege of the future is only a flowery trapping of Tao.
It is the beginning of folly.

Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
and not what is on the surface,
On the fruit and not the flower.
Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

--LAO TSU

blooming lotus
01-18-2004, 01:30 AM
sorry canglong, fail to the relevance except to strenghten my point

canglong
01-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Sure your perception is your reality but what we are after should just be reality.

Our thoughts are "only a flowery trapping of Tao."
Yet what we experience is "the fruit" of truth.

bigdoing
01-18-2004, 08:55 PM
q: "can you show me cha'an"
a: (a slap to the asking party across the face)

blooming lotus
01-19-2004, 02:59 AM
bows appreciatively ;)

c, so what you're saying is that thought is the fruit of truth subjective to the individual experience that has no correct answer?

canglong
01-19-2004, 09:27 AM
bows in return :)

bl, that was almost right on target at my point just that "thought is the fruit of truth subjective to the individual " and shared experience is the fruit of truth that cannot be denied no matter what the answer might be. A shared experience such as a slap in the face thank you bigdoing and welcome.

ninja
01-19-2004, 02:29 PM
NERDS EVERYWHERE

blooming lotus
01-19-2004, 05:32 PM
:rolleyes: