PDA

View Full Version : Aikido

Arhat of Fury
01-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I posted this in the "Other" forum but it doesnt seem to get much traffic over there.knowing that some of you cross train, I thought I might get a better response here. Sorry for the repost.

My pursuit in finding a good TCMA school in my new location has come up with nothing, This being said my next choice would be aikido being that alot of the principals are the same as my core art.

My question is how hard is it on the body. I have trained and sparred for about 4 years(full contact) so I'm not exactly a punk when it comes to that. Although when I do check on some of the schools I see alot of the pictueres are peopl being thrown hard to the mat. I know alot of grapplers(jj,judo and such) and they are always hurt with a torn ligament here or a shoulder that came out of socket. I know that most arts is you only go as hard as you want, but how much down time do you experience in aikido with injuries if you enjoy training hard?

Thanks for any input,

Arhat

SanSoo Student
01-11-2004, 11:44 PM
You shouldn't get hurt that much, those "hard" falls arent really that hard, because they teach you how to roll and fall the correct way. When you fall your also suppose to have your palms facing down to the ground so the palms of your hands absorb most of the impact.

Brithlor
01-12-2004, 03:15 AM
I wouldn't listen to a drunk guy who is only a SAN SOO student... Would you?

Mr Punch
01-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by SanSoo Student
When you fall your also suppose to have your palms facing down to the ground so the palms of your hands absorb most of the impact. Although the first part of the statement was pretty much true this is pretty much the opposite of correct. Anyone who tries to absorb the impact of any kind of grappling throw with the palm of his hands will break his wrists, his fingers, and/or smash is face into the ground. One of my sempai was also an acrobat and he could cartwheel out of most of them, but I think we can safely assume this is an exception.

Apart from the Yoshinkan ex riot police course here in Tokyo which will get you injured, I've trained and known a lot of guys who've trained about as hardcore as you get in aiki, and the worst injury list in my dojo was as follows;

1) Stabbed through the thigh (as in all the way through) with a tanto. Don't block one with your leg is all I can say.
2) Dislocated thumb (caught in a sleeve during a throw).
3) Broken nose (plenty of those from atemi).
4) Dislocated foot. Don't know the correct term but that's the way I'd describe it.
5) Broken neck. OK this one is a bit more serious, but he lived (he could even move after a bit of physio) and a year or so later, although the doctor said he was OK my sensei still wouldn't let him train, so he was last seen sulking off to a jujutsu dojo. Shame, he was good too. The quack did say it could have happened doing anything strenuous, he just had a crumbly vertebra, so it wasn't actually aiki's fault!!!:D

I keep hearing about people who have broken their knees beyond all repair from keeping one foot static whilst turning 180 degs with the other leg, but I've never seen it or met anyone who has, and frankly I think it complete garbage.

I didn't actually see number one above, but it's well known as the reason our dojo gave up practising with live blades until after third dan (that guy was first dan).

I've seen a few sticks in the face strong enough to cause a fat lip and some blood loss, but never any teeth lost.

I've heard of a couple of broken arms and such, but thems the... breaks... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

All told, I think it's pretty safe.

Arhat of Fury
01-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, I know it is a very broad question and there are extremes both ways. It sound like the majority of the injuries happen when you start getting up there in rank. But now that I've heard most of the worst things anyone else have input.

Thanks matt, empty cup and san soo student for your input.

Arhat