PDA

View Full Version : Ultimage Grappling Thread: Revolutions

SevenStar
01-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Okay, in light of the past several weeks, and also the previous UGT's (ultimate grappling threads), what all have we learned? Also, let's touch on training a little more, since it was pointed out by someone that SC and judo guys (for example) train pretty much the same way, whereas someone else was at disagreement with that.

yenhoi
01-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Neck manipulations are "not allowed" in judo.

Are they?

:confused:

Ralphie
01-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Questions on certain subjects that have been brought up:

1) What's the best set up for the single/double leg? (of course this is subjective, so this is meant as a "for you" question)

2) How do you work for the clinch with a "sprawl and brawl" kind of player?

3) IYO, What's the best no-gi Judo throw?

Training tips for these questions would be cool as well.
Thanks.

ShaolinTiger00
01-12-2004, 02:29 PM
1) jab cross. maybe they don't even land, but the threat of striking, mixed with good level change will result in a good shoot.

hit em high, hit em low.

2) well.. "sprawl" indicates that you were the one shooting and he's defended it and now in the better position. if he's a striker chances are he'll double neck clinch and fire knees to your coco. a grappler- he will spin around and take a rear control position.

swim thru and get your own dbl neck clinch.
sit out and pull guard.

being under a sprawl isn't a very good place to be.

"Brawl" might infer that you fear his striking (maybe its wild maybe its strong). tie him up fast. an over under is good to start with but can be fairly neutral. work from this to a seatbelt or a duck under or get your double hooks . get control. then get more control.

3) the one you're most comfotable doing.
mine might be tai otoshi, yours might be o-goshi.
what really matters is that you can do it as a reflex. and that means practice practice practice.. puke and practice it more.

SevenStar
01-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
Neck manipulations are "not allowed" in judo.

Are they?

:confused:

you can choke, but you can't neck crank or wrap your hands around their neck.

SifuAbel
01-12-2004, 02:43 PM
"1) jab cross. maybe they don't even land, but the threat of striking, mixed with good level change will result in a good shoot."

Beware, this strategy might lose efficacy if the opponent is a good counter puncher and not a "feigner" or a "Bracer". Good counter punchers love the threat of striking since it gives them holes to strike.

2. Yep, pretty much there.

3. favorite no gi throw, 8" knife at 12 feet. :D

Ralphie
01-12-2004, 02:45 PM
2) well.. "sprawl" indicates that you were the one shooting and he's defended it and now in the better position. if he's a striker chances are he'll double neck clinch and fire knees to your coco. a grappler- he will spin around and take a rear control position.

Only if they are a grappler (or want to grapple), too. Sprawl and brawl would refer to someone who wants to keep the fight standing. They sprawl more like a shoulder bump/hips back/neutralize the shoot, you're now in a bad position, they beat on you without continuing with grappling. That's the sprawl and brawl as I know it. Most know that being under the sprawl sucks. I've been kneed in the head that way :( What do you think about that strategy? What's a good way to work for the clinch with someone like this?

SevenStar
01-12-2004, 02:51 PM
training tips for 1 and 2 : find your preferred method and drill them repeatedly.

for 3, find your favorite throws (favorites will vary, naturally) and drill it. If you have access to a training partner, do uchi komi and moving uchi komi. When you randori, look specifically for set ups for your technique. If you are training solo, get a couple of inner tubes/surgical tubes and tie them around a pole. Practice repetitions of your favorite throw.

Ralphie
01-12-2004, 03:05 PM
lol, the questions were meant as personal preference questions. What are your preferred methods for these items?

Mine are: jab/cross, too. I may do a mid level kick, get them back on their heels, then single leg as well.

I like to stand and fight, but if I'm trying to work for the clinch because they have good stand up and sprawl, I try to match intensity, then use my footwork to set up my angle off one of their kicks/strikes.

O-Goshi, but thinking of trying for Ippon Seinonage just to see if it works better for me.

ShaolinTiger00
01-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Beware, this strategy might lose efficacy if the opponent is a good counter puncher and not a "feigner" or a "Bracer". Good counter punchers love the threat of striking since it gives them holes to strike.

I agree. but if he is a counter puncher, let the momentum of his forward pressure carry him towards you, helping your shoot and hurting his range.

Ralphie - a simple answer is "don't shoot" on this guy.

be a better striker than him.

be better in the standing clinch
tie his arms up (read control more control -Randy Couture

get him down to the ground
does he know groundwork? can you beat him there? control, ground, dominate, submission or choke.

SevenStar
01-13-2004, 11:14 AM
ttt