PDA

View Full Version : Diet ????

Suntzu
01-12-2004, 12:18 PM
looking around the 'net... i read about many diet plans..... most seen suited for BBer's rather than athletes.... Massive Coronary Eating..... Shredded in 6 hours..... etc...... what are some of the more "athletic" oriented diets(guidelines) you guys have come across.... link 'em if you got 'em......

by "athletic" i mean geared toward sustained energy.... recovery.... weight maintaing as opposed to putting on 300 lbs of lean body mass.... and minimizing body fat gain...(as if a diet can do all of that)......

Ford Prefect
01-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Basically a balanced bb'ing type diet (40-p/40-c/20-c) without going into such extreme caloric excesses. 6+ meals a day including post-activity, recovery meals like MRP's, milk, etc.

Suntzu
01-12-2004, 01:07 PM
good stuff................. i should have stated this first..... my cousin is trying to help me get my diet situation in some kind of order.... i wanted to give her some reading material on the whys and hows.... i guess i could just give her a couple of T-mag articles and hope she doesn't have me gulping down cottage cheese and plain tuna straight out of a can :(........

Ford Prefect
01-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Haha! As athletes, we have an easier time of it because we don't have to meet exact nutrient/macro-nutrient goals. As a guideline I try to eat as much high-quality food as possible like lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, non-starchy carbs, but since my main goal isn't Mr Olympia and I burn so many calories/day, I still cheat. No need to making eating not fun anymore unless you have stringent physique goals or weight goals. Just try to keep it as balanced as possible with as much high quality food as possible.

One note... Eating too much food in general or too much protein and fat will cause some energy problems especially when done right before activity due to energy needed for digestion. Kind of like why lions sleep after they eat...

Suntzu
01-12-2004, 01:38 PM
i do pretty OK with my diet on my own...... but she is more creative with food.... where as i was just eating chicken day after day.... plus its easier to cheat when no one is looking over your shoulder........ she can help me move past the processed foods.... i'm trying to see how 'clean' i can eat for Ohio........ she already mentioned tofu :mad: ..... this little experiment might not be too fun......

Pork Chop
01-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Fresh tofu cooked well tastes better than fuddrucker's
that is all

oh yeah, if you figure out anything cool let me know.
i'm going way less strict this time around, trying to find this balance, but food tends to be a slippery slope for me- easy to screw up if it's not planned out in advance.