PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good heart rate?

IronFist
01-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I don't really know anything about cardio or heart rates or anything really, so you guys can tell me how this is.

If it matters I'm 22 years old, 5'9", 162lbs, 8-9%bf.

My normal resting HR is 60-70 bpm.

My heartrate immediately upon finishing rounds of jump roping is 180 bpm.

My heart rate after doing a few rounds of shadow boxing is about 180.

And my heart rate immediately after pulling my deadlift 6RM for 5 reps is 176bpm.

So are those good or what?

Thanks.

Toby
01-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Whaddaya mean by good? If you mean normal, then yeah, they seem normal. Although if you do endurance work you should be reducing your resting HR.

My resting HR has gotten as low as 39. Generally I can get in the high 40's after sitting still for a while. I can maintain low 40's if I do it before anything else in the morning in bed or if I've been sitting around for an hour or so (e.g. watching a movie). But I'm almost 31 and my maxes should be lower than yours. My max is usually low 170's doing interval work. My highest lately was 181, although I got 190's and higher (a few 230's) when I first got my monitor. I think mobile phones might affect HR monitors and that would explain my high readings (running near people with phones). So there's a comparison for you.

IronFist
01-13-2004, 01:39 AM
I've only been doing cardio for about the last 2 weeks or so so I guess they'll go down more.

CaptinPickAxe
01-13-2004, 06:10 AM
For a twenty year old target fat burning heart rate is 140 and Cardio training is 170.

IronFist
01-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Burning fat rate is 140? So what happens when I get it above that? Super fat burning rate?

Ford Prefect
01-13-2004, 12:15 PM
IF,

I don't really think those zones (fat-burning; cardio) really hold water. If I'm doing wind sprints, my heart rate is definately over the "fat-burning zone", but I guarantee that I'm burning more fat than if I was ambling along a treadmill. Same with that cardio zone... I'd be interested to see where those numbers come from. If I were to guess, I'd say it's a very general guideline kind of like the BMI's.

As for your heart rates, they are definately not bad for somebody that hasn't done much cardio. Definately a good spot to start from.

IronFist
01-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by inic
Just face it IF, you're a skinny-fat-ass....
:p

::sniff::

:D :)

Ka
01-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Efficient Heart Rate is measured by how quickly a Heart rate drops to close to its resting rate after Max exertion. Then if it can achieve the same intensity for a period.The minus your age data is really only guidelines to apply to excerises.Generally they want to say your HR needs to working at least at this intensity for X period.The intensity you require will differ and change as you progress through your goals.
HRM are that Monitors,aids,don't look at them every second and stop work because your over 140.(unless your cranking 230bpm and are light headed:D )Use them as a overall aid to see if you can push your HR theshold and decrease your stardard Resting Pulse Rate.

wiz cool c
01-17-2004, 04:40 PM
here is the formula for your Target Hart rate Zone.

220-age-resting hart rate x.55 +resting hart rate=

220-age-RHR x .85+RHR=

So you are 22 and your RHR is 70 so 140 to 178 is fine you said you where at 180 that is ok this is 85 % of your maximum hart rate. You should not get any highter than that .

IronFist
01-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by wiz cool c
here is the formula for your Target Hart rate Zone.

220-age-resting hart rate x.55 +resting hart rate=

220-age-RHR x .85+RHR=

So you are 22 and your RHR is 70 so 140 to 178 is fine you said you where at 180 that is ok this is 85 % of your maximum hart rate. You should not get any highter than that .

What happens if I do get higher than that?

Serpent
01-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Your head will explode and you'll die horribly.

Those calculators are pretty pointless. Not bad for sedentary people, but no good for anyone athletic. I can push my heart rate waaaay beyond my calculated limit, hold it there and then still come down again quickly. I just call it training.

Just try to get your resting heart rate as low as possible by regular cardio training and, when training, push yourself to your limits without pain. You should be able to maintain your cardio intensity for 30 - 40 minutes, so work with a time zone and judge it by your comfort levels, rather than relying on formulae that are only vaguely accurate for a small % of the population.

Meat Shake
01-20-2004, 12:06 PM
I got my heart rate to 9000.
I could talk to god and see the spirit world.

ElPietro
01-20-2004, 01:15 PM
The reason most people consider low intensity work to be better for burning fat, is due to the fact that if you are at low intensity, your body will probably get the majority of energy from oxidative methods. This involves the use of bodyfat. As you increase intensity, it becomes more blood glucose based, as oxygen cannot provide the energy required to sustain the effort.

In the end you are burning calories, and this is what is required to lose weight. But remember, losing weight could mean muscle just as it could me bodyfat. So you always want to minimize lean tissue loss.

Recently, I believe the newest and most superior method to drop bodyfat, has been shown to be aenerobic intervals. So this means short, highly intense bursts of effort, like 5-30 seconds max, followed by 45s-1.5 minutes of either rest or low effort. It's been a hell of a long time since I've read anything on this but it's definitely a good option.

Going at moderately high effort for a long duration means your body will be preferentially using glycogen, which is what protects your muscles from catabolism, so while you will still be using fat, you will also be placing lean tissue at risk, especially if you are on a low calorie diet at the time.