PDA

View Full Version : OT: Aikido Randori

Christopher M
01-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Because it's been brought up a few times here before. Video clips:

http://www10.ocn.ne.jp/~siba/index11.htm

wentwest
01-13-2004, 08:40 AM
The links within that site to the clips don't work.

yenhoi
01-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Whats with the guy holding the stick? 2nd clip? penalty stick?

Looks weird allinall.

:eek:

wentwest
01-13-2004, 11:04 AM
That's really weird, I guess that means that Yenhoi was able to see the clips. For some reason they all link to a Japanese page that says "Page On" when I try to see the clips. Most of the redirected page is in Japanese, but it seems clear that it's the equivalent of a "page not found" type of broken link marker.

I wonder why I can't seem to access the clips??

yenhoi
01-13-2004, 01:59 PM
I dunno. In most of the clips it looks like judo, except one guy has a little stick, and he is not allowed to do anything with it.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Christopher M
01-13-2004, 04:55 PM
The links work for me; I dunno what to suggest.

It's Tomiki style Aikido. Tomiki was a high-ranking judoka first, and interpreted Ueshiba's aikido to be a method appropriate for judo style training, complimenting judo by focusing on techniques worked from beyond and while attacking grip, as he describes here (http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/en/kyogi1.html).

The stick one guy has is a training knife, and he's supposed to attack with it, though he can also attack with emptyhand techniques. Points are awarded for both. There is also randori with both opponents unarmed, but the version with the knife seems to be what they use for competition.

CrippledAvenger
01-13-2004, 04:58 PM
You know, I kinda like this. It's not the typical strip-mall aikido. Maybe there is hope for it after all....

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by yenhoi
except one guy has a little stick, and he is not allowed to do anything with it.

hmmm, sounds like a typical date for Yenhoi...

yenhoi
01-14-2004, 08:30 AM
What I meant was: Oh, That looks just like SC to me!

;)

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 08:31 AM
lol little stick man

ShaolinTiger00
01-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I've shared this story with the KFO forum before, but for people who missed it, I'll share it again.

Pre 9-11, there was a Tomiki aikido school sharing the dojo with my judo club. Once a month on Saturdays they (almost the entire class) would come to judo and do randori with us. I had just started judo & bjj..

Every month we whupped them badly. In fact I don't ever recall a judoka higher than sankyu ever being thrown, much less losing. I was especially a ******* as I would approach, make a false attack and then shoot on them to the ground, where I almost always got a submission. ( at the time my throwing skills trailed my ground skills because of the bjj training I had.)

I'll say 2 positive things about the aikido men.

1. Kudos to them for randori. they wanted to test their skills and they went back and worked on them and worked on them.. and "good on them" for having the humility to lose yet remain un deterred and return again and again. Fighting Spirit!

2. They were all gentlemen. (& ladies) I think many of them were neo-samurai wannabees and japanophiles (everyone's got something ..) but I can't say a negative thing about a single player's behavior prior, during or after our practices. all excellent fellows and good humored. their instructor was a good role model for this.

red5angel
01-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Every month we whupped them badly. In fact I don't ever recall a judoka higher than sankyu ever being thrown, much less losing. I was especially a ******* as I would approach, make a false attack and then shoot on them to the ground, where I almost always got a submission. ( at the time my throwing skills trailed my ground skills because of the bjj training I had.)

I am finding more often as of late that it is much more the school and those who attend it and teach it then the art that is at fault for weak skills and bad techniques.

Christopher M
01-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Was it randori with judo rules, Tomiki aikido rules, or NHB?

ShaolinTiger00
01-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Christopher,

Honestly it wouldn't have mattered. I'm not trying to be a jerk or act as if the judoka were so incredible.. it's just that the aiki (practicioner of aikido?) were so at odd with men and women who are constantly fighting resistance and opposing force. They "expected" either total compliance or over commitment to a single-minded attack. They never seemed to be able to put combinations together and to understand the principle of practical off-balancing.

They were allowed to do ANY standard aikido throw or lock. ippon ended the match. submission was ippon. there were no yukos or waza ari.

Christopher M
01-14-2004, 10:23 AM
I still think it's a germane question. If you take a guy who trains head and neck attacks all day and tell him he can't touch your face, it's going to effect his performance; just like if you take a guy who does grip fighting all day and tell him he's not allowed to grab your clothes. Whether or not this mattered with the individuals you had experience with, it certainly matters in general.

FWIW, I'm certainly not on some aiki-superiority-kick; I expect, individual differences aside, the judoka would dominate NHB randori due to training at closer distance, as I believe it's much easier to take than to deny range.

ShaolinTiger00
01-14-2004, 11:02 AM
I still think it's a germane question.

I was really more of a Tito fan myself, as he played the guitar. Never really liked Marlon. too quiet. As a big brother, I could relate to Jackie. Michael! wow what a star! he's going to grow up to be famous someday!