PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fight Training Thread

SevenStar
01-13-2004, 11:16 AM
There's been some debate concerning modern vs traditional training methods. Which do you prefer, and why? Also, If you were training for a fight, which methods would you use to bring your skills up to par and get yourself into shape in the most efficient manner?

Water Dragon
01-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Typical H2O Dragon Shuai Chiao Workout:

Warm up with 8 joint body rotational workout
Stretch out w/ Rhino Gazing at moon and Swallow Skims Water
10 minute light run

Get in narrow deep horse and crack the belt 100 times side to side
Keep the back straight, squat and crack the belt now stand up and put your hand above your head, crack the belt. Repeat 50 times

Set timer for 2 minutes and walk lines with the following forms:
Diagonal Cut
Neck Surround
Forward March (w/ belt crack. Torque the torso hard!)
Dragon Stepping
2 Man Cross Horse Stepping
Backward Kicking (1 minute each side)
Penetration Stepping (That’s right ST00 and MP, just like in rasslin’ )

25 push ups, 10 Chinese push ups
(we do hella ab work in Muay Thai, so we skip it in SC. Ab work is a M-U-S-T!)

Falling practice: Get thrown with
10 hip throws to each side
10 shoulder throws to each side
10 Diagonal Cuts to each side

Throwing Practice
This varies, but we do a variety of jacket and non-jacketed work. We do a lot of tearing and torquing the jacket. The torquing is like turning a steering wheel and is an application of the belt cracking. Last night we did basic tearing and turn outs. Then we did a standard Iron Broom (sweep)

Free Hand work. We generally do 3-4 2 minute rounds of free wrestling. We’re working our way up. Then we will do San Shou drilling (I’ll list a drill next) Finish up with a couple rounds of straight boxing, San Shou, or Muay Thai rules sparring)

Cool down
2 minutes of arm banging and shin conditoning (one man kicks, the other checks the kick)

When I go home, I do the 13 Tai Po as a Yogic exercise. 1 minute in each posture in each side.

So am I traditional or modern?

Water Dragon
01-13-2004, 11:47 AM
FYI, the above was a 2 hour workout.

Now the drill: Both partners jab with intent. Person A is the ‘attacker’ he tries to use the jab offensively. Person B is the defender, he uses the jab defensively only. As person A tries to pop Person B in the nose, Person B will try to sweep him with an Iron Broom. Person A can use sweep defenses, but not counters. Both need to use good head movement and keep their guard or the jab will get them. Set to 2 minute rounds.

MasterKiller
01-13-2004, 11:52 AM
What's a Chinese push up?

Water Dragon
01-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Chinese push up aka Hindu Push up aka Divebombers

MasterKiller
01-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Gotcha.

SevenStar
01-13-2004, 12:38 PM
MT

9 mins of jumping rope (three 3 min rounds)
1 min of one leg jumping rope (30 secs each leg)
line drills
shadow boxing

various stretching exercises
push ups
rock climbers
ab work

new techniques
various pad and footwork drills

pad drills utilizing the techniques we went over that night and also techniques we are already familiar with.

heavy bag work
sparring

neck wrestling
we usually do 2-4 rounds, 2 rounds without the use of knees, and the last 1-2 rounds we will use knees while in the clinch.

pad drills
some type of murderour drill, like 5-10-5's or something

pushups
ab work
stretch

That's a typical MT class for me.

SevenStar
01-13-2004, 12:39 PM
I'll post typical judo and bjj classes to - I guess this is a good start, but I want to move into fight training. If you are preparing for a fight that's in three months, how are you going to train? If it's the same regimen, cool. If not, then post it.

Pork Chop
01-13-2004, 12:48 PM
I've personally noticed more benefits from taking a "modern" structure/routine and adding in the occasional "traditional" drill.

I had a falling off of skill & athleticism going back to a more "traditional" type routine; but admittedly that may have been somewhat due to lack of motivation & focus.

If I was going to start training for an upcoming fight tomorrow I'd want to do more of everything, especially endurance work (intervals & cardio), sparring (tapering off the level of contact before the event), and skills (focus on combos & things I use, on pads and stuff).

I like instructional vids for inspiration on routines.

WanderingMonk
01-13-2004, 09:02 PM
What is dragon stepping?

wm

Machine_Phantom
01-13-2004, 09:05 PM
fighting is for haters

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk
What is dragon stepping?

wm
Step your right leg ver the left, high enough so that the right foot 'steps over' the left knee. Put the right foot down so that the toes is pointing out. Now drive off the right foot so that you throw a MT satyle knee with the left. Make sure you come up on the ball of the right foot. Repeat to the left. Set the timer to 2 minutes and go.

WanderingMonk
01-14-2004, 07:07 AM
WD,

thanks.

wm

SevenStar
01-21-2004, 11:19 PM
ttt

Gangsterfist
01-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Our work outs are about 1 hour long, and we do the following:

Qigong warm up, yoga stretches, athlete stretches, etc

pushups: vertical, normal, tricept, nose breakers, one arm, kunckle

ab work: crunch, ab wheel, rocky balboa's, bruce lee's, sit ups, side bends

cardio: Jump rope, run up and down stairs, jog outside, spirit box (shadow box)

Legs: low horse, low cat, low snake creeping the meadow, leg lifts, leg curls on stairs, mountain climbers, carry someone your size on your back up nine filights of stairs

Arms: hand stands, bear crawl down nine flight of stairs, ghetto gym (this is what my sihing calls it you use resistance from a partner instead of free weights)curls and bench press and other various arm work outs.

Then we do form work and drills

then class starts:

I have no idea how traditional this would be.

Sho
01-22-2004, 05:30 AM
I believe in honest training and not cheating yourself.

No_Know
01-22-2004, 10:15 AM
"There's been some debate concerning modern vs traditional training methods. Which do you prefer, and why?"

Which I prefer for me is one thing. Traditional, it's what I grew-up with and works for things I value for Me. Which I prefer over all is one thing. Traditional--fight situation can happen seemingly, whenever if the training takes more than a minute, it's a long-term investment. I was thinking that for a lifetime thing what I think of traditional gives me closer to my aspiration. I aspire to the fantastic Human excellence of which some of the Kung-Fu comics (Jademan) and talkies indicate. While I do not think Standard modern will get me ****her than Traditional in this regard. Yet, Writing this I am thinking that modern~ is the current traditional. Traditional was modern that worked so don't change; I think that there are teachers who tailor lessons to the student. But they only metion the mainstream teaching because the variables are so much, identification with a particular school/teacher (reputation major selling point then I would think). There's different sets of traditionalModified old traditional thatwas good staied long enough or was mistakenly called traditional...And Modern that is accepted and practiced long enough becomse what now a days people would regard as traditional. Modern becames Traditional. Traditional pre modern is guideline to excellence--not all the rules are in the rulebook.

Which I think is best is one. With different and differing situations, each to h er/is own, best for h er/im.

"Also, If you were training for a fight, which methods would you use to bring your skills up to par and get yourself into shape in the most efficient manner?"

I would do a hopping practice making a quick paced hopping while keeping up a guard; crescent kicks; punch counters; kicks from a low horseriding stance; guards in a horseriding stance; beat my leg with my foot; twisting ecercises on the ground; deflection maneuvers...

Hopefully I do what I do all of the time-ish for an up comming fight I might highlight the technques for that particular fight.

I hopefully have it so that I am ready for that fight situation that can happen almost any minute and therefore any fight that might come-up. Greater skill comes with significant practice and comprehension. While I might always be ready, I might in at least some areas, can improve.