PDA

View Full Version : Death isn't enough for this *******.

rogue
01-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Updated: 03:39 PM EST
Killer Taunts Victim's Family on Internet
By JAY REEVES, AP

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (Jan. 13) - Mary Kate Gach thought she had heard the last of Jack Trawick when he went to death row for murdering her daughter in 1992.

"I would do the whole thing again knowing death row was waiting for me."
-Jack Trawick

Instead, Trawick's twisted writings about how he beat, strangled and stabbed Stephanie Gach and killed other women are available to anyone who wants to read them on the Internet. Many of the writings were put there by a one-time pen pal and admirer of Trawick's.

The killer even taunts Mary Kate Gach by name.

"I'm mad as hell," she said. "Those people don't even have a right to speak my name or my child's name. There's got to be a way to keep them from funneling this stuff out of prisons."

Around the country, dozens of U.S. death row inmates have gotten their letters and artwork posted on the Internet, a practice that torments the victims' grieving friends and relatives.

"It's going on all over," said Nancy Ruhe, executive director of Parents of Murdered Children in Cincinnati. "People say to me all the time, `When are these (victims) going to get over it?' They can't."

Experts say little can be done about Web sites featuring the writings of killers.

"It's the First Amendment," Ruhe acknowledged.

Typically, material from inmates makes it onto the Internet through an intermediary. Prisoners send letters to people or companies on the outside, where it is then posted online.

Alabama prison officials say it appears Trawick stopped sending out new stories about murder after Gach's mother and others complained last year. But Trawick's old writings are still on the Web, along with gruesome drawings of murdered women.

In one letter posted on the Internet, Trawick reveled in the Gach slaying.

"I would do the whole thing again knowing death row was waiting for me," Trawick, 56, wrote from Holman Prison.

Trawick confessed to kidnapping Gach, 21, from a Birmingham-area shopping mall in 1992. He took her to an isolated area where he beat her with a hammer, strangled her and stabbed her through the heart.

Gach's body was thrown off an embankment, where it was found the next day. Trawick was convicted in 1994, and he was convicted the next year in the slaying of Aileen Pruitt, 27, killed about four months before Gach.

Trawick has yet to exhaust his appeals, and no date for his execution has been set.

AP
Stephanie Gach, in 1992

Gach's mother avoids listening to anything about Trawick. But it hurts her to know Trawick has a worldwide platform for his sadistic prose.

Free-speech protections prevent prison officials from blocking inmates' outgoing mail unless it presents a security risk or involves a crime in progress, said Amy Fettig, an attorney in Washington with the American Civil Liberties Union's National Prison Project.

"Certainly I would understand victims being upset, and prison officials have a right to read mail," she said. But "just saying nasty things or having bad opinions is not a crime."

In one test of inmates' rights, a federal judge in May struck down as unconstitutional an Arizona law that made it illegal for state inmates to send out material to be posted on Web sites. The judge ruled the law was not "rationally related to legitimate penological objectives."

In Alabama, Gach and other victims' relatives met with the state prisoner commissioner last year to protest inmate Web sites. Corrections spokesman Brian Corbett said Trawick's mail was screened extra closely for a time, but his writings have reappeared in new postings in recent weeks.

"I'm in shock. I feel like I have been here before," said Stephanie Gach's mother.

01/13/04 14:33 EST

rogue
01-13-2004, 02:12 PM
When training remember that there are people like this out there.

Oso
01-13-2004, 08:59 PM
that's f'd up.

why do convicted murderer's have rights????

This confuses the hell out of me.

Machine_Phantom
01-13-2004, 09:01 PM
hey rogue
whats up

just wanted you to know im not reading all that stuff
and i dunno what a ******* is.

joedoe
01-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Oso
that's f'd up.

why do convicted murderer's have rights????

This confuses the hell out of me.

They are still people. They may (or may not have) committed a terrible crime, but they still have rights.

Having said that, taunting a victim's family like that is just plain ****ed up.

Souljah
01-13-2004, 11:47 PM
They are still people. They may (or may not have) committed a terrible crime, but they still have rights.

Exactly.

When training remember that there are people like this out there.

I really prefer not to be angry when training.
Though this is quite disturbing.

Mika
01-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Like I have said so many times before, Americans are prisoners of their own freedom. This is a case in point. Everyone has so many rights that everyone has to worry about everyone else's rights first. That is freedom in reverse.

Don't know how possible this scenario would be elsewhere, but I do know this: should an inmate try that here: not a chance...

Y'all talk about rights and that inmates are people, too. I agree. But let me ask you this: what price freedom?

And above all: where is common sense?

Xdr4g0nx
01-14-2004, 01:02 AM
we americans don't need common sense, we have freedom :D

seriously, Mika is totally right

scotty1
01-14-2004, 01:33 AM
Hey Machine Phantom, is that sig all your own work?

Oso
01-14-2004, 05:45 AM
being 'people' doesn't give anyone the right to do what he is doing.

BentMonk
01-14-2004, 06:01 AM
Ok so convicted psycho-killers are people with rights huh? Why? Where was their consideration for the rights of the person(s) they killed? They deprived another human being of every conceivable right by killing them. Why should the killer still have any right other than the right to be executed as fast as humanly possible? What BS. First Amendment my azz. If you strip someone else of their rights and dignity via murder, yours should be totally forfiet the day you're convicted. I'm surprised this sadistic punk hasn't gotten a book or movie deal yet. I love the good ole USA, but this is pretty much the only place in the world where a killer can become a well paid celebrity, brag about what they did across the internet, and have more rights than the people THEY victimized. I'm not about to start advocating a repeal of the first amendment. That's not what this is about, besides our government has done a fine job of butchering our rights in the name of preventing another 9/11. Yes moral, law abiding citizens are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Killers, rapists, terrorists, and child molesters are NOT. BTW Scotty1, Phantoms sig is from, "The Hollow" by A Perfect Circle. He has most excellent taste in tunes.

rogue
01-14-2004, 07:11 AM
It's also the place were if any of us fought back against this lowlife and he got hurt we'd stand a good chance of being brought up on civil charges.

They are still people. They are nothing but garbage. That little Malvo ******* is nothing more than garbage. No, they gave up being human when they stopped seeing their victims as people.

Many guys here hold the well being of their training partners, opponents and students in their hands. We maintain a sense for others well being even while trying to train in realistic methods. There is a big difference between us and a piece of garbage serial killer.

red5angel
01-14-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm with Oso, how exactly does one get rights to the first amendment when one is in prison and on death row. I thought imprisonment meant you lost your rights?

mortal
01-14-2004, 08:42 AM
They should just put two bullets behind his ear as soon as they know he is guilty. It would save everyone time and heartache.

Or they should bury him alive with a little tube for small amounts of food and air.

I think I like the second option even more.