PDA

View Full Version : Really Dumb BJJ Question

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Can you (theoretically) win a sport BJJ match off the throw. Either by ippon or knock out?

lkfmdc
01-14-2004, 11:25 AM
depending upon the tournament, the throw in BJJ is worth either 1 point or nothing at all :rolleyes:

you could KO the guy, then you MIGHT win... I've seen some really funny stuff at these events :eek:

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, since the San Shou tourney is off for now, I'm looking at doing some other stuff. We're gonna do some Boxing and Muay Thai smokers, but SC tourney's are few and far between.

I'd prefer to do Judo, but I have to find a black belt to sponser me first, so I'm thinking BJJ, but I have no chance on the ground. That doesn't mean I wont do it anyway, but I want to do some throw work too.

lkfmdc
01-14-2004, 11:36 AM
not going to the arnolds then?

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 11:49 AM
No, the weekend was starting to look like over $ 300.00 altogether. Then I find out that boolsheet ith the $ 65.00 registration fee. We have some good Boxing and Shooto up here in the Chi, so I'm going to go that route for at least a little bit.

Crip's all Gung Ho on doing one of you events on the East Coast this year. Mebb I'll road trip it up there and fight,

Can I sleep in your gym if I do? :p

SevenStar
01-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Well, since the San Shou tourney is off for now, I'm looking at doing some other stuff. We're gonna do some Boxing and Muay Thai smokers, but SC tourney's are few and far between.

I'd prefer to do Judo, but I have to find a black belt to sponser me first, so I'm thinking BJJ, but I have no chance on the ground. That doesn't mean I wont do it anyway, but I want to do some throw work too.

I can get a BB for ya. A guy a trained with is from IL - matter of fact, we'll be up that way for some clinics over the next few months. He competes all over in judo and sambo, and knows the IL judo board really well, so it may be possible. you're gonna have to join a judo org too, like the USJI. There are yearly dues, but it's not that expensive. The main thing will be seeing if anyone will vouch for you.

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

The main thing will be seeing if anyone will vouch for you.

Throw me on the mat with them. Let them decide for themself.

Be sure and hit me up when you're in the area.

SevenStar
01-14-2004, 12:02 PM
no doubt. It'll be closer to the spring time, however, I know he's gonna be up there within the next week or two for some clinic. I'm not attending that one though.

SevenStar
01-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Turn your PMs on- it's easier than email.

yenhoi
01-14-2004, 12:03 PM
+ you get insurance when you join a Judo club.

Already fixed one broken tooth from an elbow shot!

:eek:

SevenStar
01-14-2004, 12:08 PM

yeah, you'd be better equipped doing judo.

ShaolinTiger00
01-14-2004, 12:20 PM
depending upon the tournament, the throw in BJJ is worth either 1 point or nothing at all

you could KO the guy, then you MIGHT win... I've seen some really funny stuff at these events

Be aware that there is a defined difference between Bjj and submission grappling.

In most bjj & submission grappling tournaments, takedowns & throws are worth 2 points.

you cannot win a match by throw (unless he gets no score against you for the rest of the match)

the issue that many people have is that a takedown or throw that leads into a good control position gives you no more points than a takedown taht leads you into a bad position.

ex. - you throw with uchimata and then get side control. - 2 pts.

you do an inside reap and fall into his guard. you pass his guard and get to side control - 2 pts for takedown + 3 pts for passing the guard. = 5

so you can see why many would like a clean control ending in a holddown to get the extra 3 pts. for passing the guard.

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Turn your PMs on- it's easier than email.

done

Knifefighter
01-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Can you (theoretically) win a sport BJJ match off the throw. Yes, throw for 2 points, stand up, throw again, stand again and continue throwing and coming back to standing. The only drawback to this is that some BJJ referees will force you to stay on the ground once you are down there. In this case, you can get the throw and then just hold your position on the ground.

In most submission grappling tourneys, you can use the throw/stand/throw strategy as much as you want. Same thing with freestyle or folkstyle wrestling tourneys.

SevenStar
01-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Good news. I talked to my boy tonight - he's gonna double check, but he's pretty sure that you don't need to be affiliated with any club in order to join the USJI. Membership is soley for insurance reasons, so they won't care what club you are with. you can even put the name of miguel's gym if you want. The only catch is that since your gym isn't affiliated with JI, if you get hurt there, they won't cover it.

SevenStar
01-14-2004, 11:03 PM
I looked at the clinic schedule too - there are clinics the 3rd weekend of every month from now until may or june. I won't be able to make it this month, and next month I think I will be competing that weekend, but march, april and may I will be there for at least one session, and hopefully all of them.

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 11:05 PM
The only catch is that since your gym isn't affiliated with JI, if you get hurt there, they won't cover it.

Explain this more. I have good health insurance at work, they cover everything. But break this down more for me anyway.

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 11:06 PM
I looked at the clinic schedule too - there are clinics the 3rd weekend of every month from now until may or june. I won't be able to make it this month, and next month I think I will be competing that weekend, but march, april and may I will be there for at least one session, and hopefully all of them.

What are the clinics on? And how much. I'm interested in attending if you can hook a brother up.

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 03:23 AM

Explain this more. I have good health insurance at work, they cover everything. But break this down more for me anyway.

doesn't matter. If you're gonna compete, you have to be covered by them, and hence a member of their org. It also helps them keep up with you - ranking and such. you can join the usji, usjf or usja - usji and usjf seem to be fairly interchangeable, but you can't join one of those two and enter a ja tourney, from what I've seen.

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 03:28 AM

What are the clinics on? And how much. I'm interested in attending if you can hook a brother up.

They are prep for the nationals this year. My guess is they will be covering things like grip fighting, combinations, competition throws, etc. You can probably just walk in and participate, but not knowing the judo curriculum, you may be trying to figure some stuff out while the rest moving on. Since they're training for the nationals, dunno how good an idea that would be...

I'm not sure about the fee either. I'll check on it.