PDA

View Full Version : Realist Only.................

Gojira
09-26-2000, 04:16 PM
How do you guys train for street situations?

JWTAYLOR
09-26-2000, 04:42 PM
A few different drills.
First, every one is done with other people watching you. You'll be the only one doing the drill, everyone else should pay close attention to you. Just puts a little more pressure on you.

One of the drills puts people into two long lines, you have to walk from one end to the other between them. Different individuals and groups from the lines will attack you. You don't know were they are comming from, what they will attack with (they get knives and clubs sometimes) or how many there will be. That's all predetermined by the instructor. We put on a good bit of protection. We call it the Gauntlet.

The next is for forms work. We have people surround you and throw an attack. The attacks are limitted,and you know were they will be comming from. YOu have to fit what you are doing in the form to what attack they are throwing.

Another is you just stand in a group of people, yelling and pushing you. Sifu point to a person, or a couple of people, and they attack you. You call wear protection and the contact is pretty hard. He makes sure you get worn out, as you aren't allowed to leave the circle. Someone is always at your back, and they are the person most likely to attack you.

Also, at the end of sparring, whoever is running sparring class will just yell "switch", and you have to pick a different opponent fast and fight that person. If two people turn and both start hitting the same guy, then it's two on one. Sometimes it's 3. Then "switch" is called again and you have to ajust fast. If you opponent put you on the ground, and "switch" is yelled, you bet your sweet bippy that everyone rusheds over to you and starts akickin. Easy prey.

That, and we make sure every thing we do involves contact. We try to make technqiue drilling as real as possible. If your partner is supposed to throw a punch, his/her job is to hit you as hard as they can. I've seen allot of injuries from this, but you learn super fast. And we don't do this with the beginners until after about 3 months. The only time it really sucks is when your partner is supposed to choke you. Sifu is adamant that they really choke you. After a couple of tries, it can be very dissorienting. But I guess that's the point.

JW

DragonStudios
09-26-2000, 05:04 PM
One of our biggest "realism" classes is in teaching disarming techniques. We have an air pistol that looks and feels like a real gun, and when it's in your face with someone yelling at you... well, I didn't think a 120 lb beginning student could throw a 250 lb instructor across a room, but she did. Behold, the power of Chi...

We keep the weapons training very real with the focus on keeping your head in the situation. We tell students that unless the gun is within your reach, give them whatever they want. Knives and clubs are a different story, however.

Without going outside,
you may know the whole world.
Without looking through the window,
you may see the ways of heaven.
The ****her you go, the less you know.
--Lao Tsu

jimmy23
09-26-2000, 05:05 PM
great drills John Wayne!

Black Jack
09-26-2000, 05:46 PM
We try to keep the training as alive as we can.

Examples of drills include mass attack situations where you go agaisnt a number of attackers with and without weapons.

Lots of free form hard sparring, aggressor/defender drills, trapping drills, groundwork, energy drills. stick and knife work including disarms and strips, range flow drills like the accordion drill sets where we change from range to range and non-weapon to weapon to non-weapon on a random instructor call.

Training drills where we have a training knife in our back pocket and to see if we can get to it and use it agaisnt a few attackers...one or a few of them may have knifes or sticks themselves.

Enviromental training...wooded areas,the indoor alleyway in back with the lights on and off, at and even in a car, snow and gravel covered areas, parking lots...even some groundwork in the lot.

We work with on and off hands, different leads and akward positions.

A good drill that is an eye opener to see where a blade got through your defenses is for both of you to get markers and white t-shirts and go at it as if they were knifes and you will get to see all of the nice shots that came on in.

Regards

Paul DiMarino
09-26-2000, 09:30 PM
Hey JWT,

You guys have any affiliates in Boston? That sounds like an awesome class!

JWTAYLOR
09-26-2000, 11:34 PM
Sorry, Austin Texas only.

JWT

Kyoshu
09-27-2000, 02:14 AM
JTW, I think I mentioned to you on a previos post that we do the gaunlet as well. Our one differs a bit. Instead of attacks being determined by the instructor, students are free to attack as they wish, but with resonable control. We still have a line of 2 on each side, but have a person at the end to catch you if you are just about to fall over, or to finish you off if your still standing.

We also do lots of sparring. 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then 2 on 1 attackers have weapons, then 2 on 1 defender has weapons, then 2 on 1 everone has weapons. With this we work on all ranges in a fight, real life effective tactics, etc. All sparring is done full contact, but in multi attacker sparring, attackers have to maintain control and were protctive gear, so the defender can go all out.

We also do lots a arnis training in stick and knife and also do senario work, ie defending/escaping from different positions (ie: cornered, ground, etc) or situations (ie defending yourself, defending yourself and another, etc).

Kyoshu

rogue
09-27-2000, 04:18 AM
Go into the local redneck bar and start talking about how I think Merle Haggard or Hank Jr. is a queer and let the fun begin.
I once tried this using Alan Jackson but everyone agreed with me and I all I got out of it was a free beer.

BTW I don't really believe that brothers Hank & Merle are queer, though I'm none to sure about that Jackson fella.

I used to be daga