PDA

View Full Version : My cat

jesper
01-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Well First of We just moved to a new house, so naturally I was excited about letting my cat out to start exploring the neighbourhood, although I had seen that the couple two houses away had a big dobberman which always stood in the yard showing lots of attitude.

Well anyway My cat got out sniffed around but soon I could hear barking from this big dog which seemed to get closer, so I hurriedly got my cat back inside.

Next day I decided to try again, and put my cat back out while I would take care of the garden

Well I started playing around with my cat, when all of a sudden I saw this big head staring over the fence, and before I could do anything the dog jumped over and started to run towards my cat.

I started to run towards the dog, while at the mean time looking to see what my cat would do, and to my big surprise he just sat there frozen. I knew I couldnt get to him in time so I was getting pretty nervous by now, when all of a sudden Tiger (my cat) reacted in a wholy surprising way.

As soon as the dog was in range, tiger got up on his hind legs, dodge the dog and with one swift blow struck him right on the nose drawing blood, that got quite a yelp from the dog. Then tiger hit him with the other paw and held him tight around the mouth while at the same time started to kick him brutally with both feet, until the dog started to run away. Then tiger just sat down, licked his paws and walked away, letting me stand there dumbfolded.

Well after the shock wore of I started thinking that maybe there could be a lesson in here somewhere :)

PaulH
01-14-2004, 01:28 PM
I move that we include your cat story as one of the early inspirations of how Ng Mui come up with the ideas of WC. Ha! Ha!

Ernie
01-14-2004, 02:02 PM
grow claws :D

Tom Kagan
01-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Was the cat using TiuTaiMa? ;)

I can assure you the only reason (besides a bit of luck) that your cat is not dead is because the dog and cat understand territory.

The dog knew he shouldn't be there. He hopped the fence to see whether the cat would let him get away with trespassing on the cat's territory.

When the situation is reversed (and I guarantee it will be, sooner or later), your cat will be testing the boundaries of the dog's yard and running like greased lightning.

The lesson? Don't act like a dog or a cat by playing a silly dominance/territory game. Many people play it without even realizing what they are doing.

People are far less predictable in what they consider their territory and in their response - especially when under just the slightest influence of alcohol/drugs. A cat or a dog is not able to conceal a weapon. You won't find too many dogs or cats able to swing the first chair they find, either. (People, on the other hand, have been known, from time to time, to swing even a cat or a dog around as a weapon. :mad: )

yuanfen
01-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Tom is correct.
I have a large basically good natured classic Alaskan Malamute
I have deliberately tried not to encourage him to be aggressive.
But nature and his fate has resulted in some skirmishes with some dogs and cats.
Re cats he tries to give chase and they generally run away
successfully. One witha fighting reputation came near his waterbowl... before you knew it, the chase was on... the cat jumped ontoa six foot fence then jumped ona tree trunk and was weaving in the wind on a branch about 15 feet up. The owners had to persuade him and finally catch him with an extended swimming pool cleaning net.
However, reversal of fortune... my dog (Jadi- he is the mascot on my website<http://www.azwingchun.com/>) and I were walking very early in the morning in another part of my town (Tempe, Arizona). There wasa small kitten playing peekaboo in tall grass about 5 feet away. Jadi
just gave the kitten a curious glance. In no time, a small mother cat charged towards Jadi (possibly a 120 pound weight difference)- jumped on the back of Jadi's neck and was gnawing and scratching away...and had my big dog (unharmed) crying like a baby.
Careful abut determined defense of familar territorry!
BTW Ed's windy citywingchun site has that famous video snip of
two cats facing each other...one taunting the other while the second suddenly leaping to capture the taunter.

Joy Chaudhuri

anerlich
01-14-2004, 03:38 PM
I've got two Siamese kittens, a male and female.

Neither of them are great strikers (not that they've really been put to the test), but the male has a killer open guard when you try to tickle his stomach. He also tries a low single on my ankle occasionally, but this needs some work.

Poor little suckers are both getting desexed today.

foolinthedeck
01-15-2004, 10:58 AM
unrelated - but what a 'joy' yuanfens website is!!! unpretentious, slick and informative. thanks for the link.

old jong
01-15-2004, 11:06 AM
....and,unlike Anerlich's cat, it got balls!...;)

yuanfen
01-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks foolinthe deck-
a student volunteered to do it. I know nutting-tech.

Old Jong-
Jadi is well "endowed" and is "banked"- just have not found a suitable *****. Arizona is not Arctic dog country-he is getting old- arent we all- but he is transformed by snowbound hills and pulling, as I am with gong fu.
The animal world gives me lots of ideas- not an accident that both Chinese and Indian martial arts studied animal behavior closely.

old jong
01-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey Joy!
My last dog,a boxer who was named "Popeye" was almost a southern Mantis expert!....It tested my Wing Chun a great deal playing with him.
All missing in his life was a cute "Olive Oil".

I still have'nt replaced him after a few years. :(