PDA

View Full Version : Fetus style (link) Also, worst fighting stance ever!!! (pic)

IronFist
01-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Scroll down, it's there (http://www.shaolin-society.co.uk/Animal_Styles/Rare_Animal_Styles/rare_animal_styles.php)

Also, look at Scorpion style below it. Worst fighting stance ever.

And then look at "Terrapin" and "Emu" below that. Is that Wing Lam in the pictures?

CaptinPickAxe
01-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Scorpion looks as if your asking to get kicked in the face...

old jong
01-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Just kick him in the face!... (http://www.shaolin-society.co.uk/Animal_Styles/Rare_Animal_Styles/scorpionstyle.gif) :rolleyes:

But it's not alowed to kick someone when he's down on the mat!...(In the UFC anyway!);)

Felipe Bido
01-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Why would you wanna put yourself in that position?

No_Know
01-14-2004, 04:37 PM
But if he ducks the kick to the face he might can land a foot to your groin on up to the nose.

No fetus style pic on that page. Thank you.

rubthebuddha
01-14-2004, 04:47 PM
i think it is wing lam. wouldn't be surprised if we had a case of stolen pics. looks like the type of school to do it ...

GeneChing
01-14-2004, 06:22 PM
That was a reprint (and illegal one at that) of a two-part article I did for our Oct 99 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=101) and Nov 99 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=103) issues titled The Martial Menagerie back in my freelance days. I was researching exotic animal styles like duck and such - most of the research came from interviews with Sifu Wing Lam and Shaolin Monk Shi Yanming. Come on, who else in the martial arts wouild deliver a line like
In ancient times, lunatics were smeared with dog excrement to expel demons. Today, the Chinese breed chow dogs for food and fur just as Americans breed cattle. or
This emulates the quick motions of a ****'s ******, as if to eat seed. As a curious aside, the article was a request job and so I didn't have pics for all of the styles. In a pinch, the graphic team here asked my present teacher, Sifu Tony Chen, to fill in the gaps. It was a strange piece for me to write, but it wound up represented the three major influences in my personal kung fu training - Wing Lam, Shaolin monks & Tony Chen.

As for Scorpion, it's a pretty dramatic style, crazy kicks, very wushu-ized lately. I think the reasoning behind that particular technique is not that it's a guard stance, but a technique used in response to a high attack. There's a similar move in Bak Sil Lum where you duck under something and simultaneously kick up. I've seen a variation of it used in sparring before with marginal success.

Now to go chase after those guys about reprinting it without permission. :rolleyes:

IronFist
01-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Using stuff without permission sucks.

old jong
01-14-2004, 10:39 PM
"Scorpion style" is actually a guy being "Toe holded" by an invisible catch wrestler!....;) YES!...:mad:

IronFist
01-15-2004, 12:36 AM
^ lol at old jong.

I once saw a "Scorpion style" (I think) on an episode of Kung Fu the Legend Continues. The fighting stance was like, stand sideways to your opponent with your front arm stretched out with a little bend in the elbow in front towards him and your rear arm extended out to the other side away from your opponent. I remember the main guy in the show giving that fighting stance a funny look before he got beat up.

MasterKiller
01-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Trinity uses Scorpion kicks in The Matrix.

I would suck her toes.

That is all.

GeneChing
01-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Scorpion is pretty cool in motion - crazy stunt kicks and a lot of tricky invitations - it reminds me of Capoeira in a weird way. I think there's some demonstrated on this video (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-gs102.html).

IF: Yeah, using stuff without permission really does suck, especially because we're pretty easy going about web reprints. It's so hard to control, obviously. I think what's worse is the plaguerism aspect - that's outright stealing. I don't mind people using my stuff so much if they credit me, but when they just take my work and claim it as their own, that's lame. Happens all the time to me now, and I'm flattered and disgusted at the same time. Sometimes there's no honor amongst wannabe warriors. I really appreciate when my readers tell me about work of mine that they've found plagerized, so at least I can send them an email and ask "wtf?"

old jong
01-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Trinity uses Scorpion kicks in The Matrix.

I would suck her toes.

That is all.

I understand!....;)

IronFist
01-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
so at least I can send them an email and ask "wtf?"

Did you email these guys? You used to work for Wing Lam, right? So you could tell him they're using his pics, too.

GeneChing
01-15-2004, 04:58 PM
... so even though they are of Wing Lam, they aren't really his. By posing for the article, he gives consent, so the publisher is the injured party.

And I haven't contacted them yet. It's on my 'to do' list, maybe tomorrow, maybe Monday...

diego
01-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Using stuff without permission sucks.

i know man i mean i'm driving along listening to music smoke billowing out the windows and a cop car pulls me over....wtf

i'm like nah you can't have any get your own:)