PDA

View Full Version : Hard patches in heavy bags

IronFist
01-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Since I don't have a heavy bag I was using the one at my gym last night. The top half of it is pretty soft, but in the bottom half there are hard patches. Like it's mostly pretty hard on the bottom half, but some spots are like rocks. I have a nice bruise on my left foot and right shin from this.

I hate that. Just wanted to complain.

It's a 100lb (I think) Everlast bag or something. It's hanging in the corner.

I hope I get better soon. Judging from the heavy bag I don't think I punch very hard.

And as for kicks, I have to kick high because the bottom of the bag is at mid-thigh level, and I can't kick there cuz it's too hard, so I have to aim a lot higher.

And I retract my previous statement about not using bag gloves cuz you won't use bag gloves in real life. Or at least I retract it until I'm not such a wuss that I need them. I tore up my knuckles the first day so I brought my bag gloves to the gym yesterday :D

But I still don't want to use wrist support cuz I won't have that in real life, just like I don't life with a belt cuz you won't have a belt in real life.

Heruka
01-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Youll be hitting the harder bottom part in no time though. Decent toughness of the hands and feet comes pretty quickly. When i got my first heavy bag i could barely hit it, but after a few weeks of consistent use, and consistent is the key word, i was able to lay into it without gloves with no pain at all. The sad thing though is that it leaves just as quickly if you dont keep up on it.

Vash
01-14-2004, 07:40 PM
The bag's just settled. Might wanna drop word with someone who could do something that they need to tilt the mug on it's side at night.

One of the canvas bags at my dojo is settled, and the vinyl one is getting that way. Thankfully we've still got one new canvas bag. Hopefully I'll be healed in time to fug it up a bit ;)

Water Dragon
01-14-2004, 07:54 PM
It's probably settled as has been said. Unless it's one of those bags with the weighted tube in the middle and the tube;s exploded. If it's a blown tube, the bag needs to be refilled.

My bag has settled and I let it be. I use the middle for punching and the bottom for shin conditioning.

IronFist
01-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah, well my gym is open 24 hours a day so there's no "night" they can let it settle during.

Also they probably don't give a crap abou the condition of it, since there's that one bag, one speedbag, and the rest is all weights and machines and treadmills.

Some of the people there would probably be like "oh, you don't like it? Don't use it." Heh. I love gym employees.

yenhoi
01-14-2004, 09:09 PM
And I retract my previous statement about not using bag gloves cuz you won't use bag gloves in real life. Or at least I retract it until I'm not such a wuss that I need them. I tore up my knuckles the first day so I brought my bag gloves to the gym yesterday

:D

PHILBERT
01-14-2004, 09:51 PM
My old TKD school had a bag like that. I always thought it was purposely built that way for training. I remember I actidentally kicked the bottom, was limping the rest of the night.

yenhoi
01-15-2004, 01:12 AM
My 100lb everlast bag came with like 7 hardspots all over oe side of the bag, must of been stored on its side for years or something. Inside it has like 7 5lb sandbags. Many lumps later... we opened it up to re-stuff it and moved the sandbags to the bottom... now there is like 2 inches of concrete at the lower end.

We tried marking the spots with white duck tape, but it doesnt help, they always hurt and hurt more.

:rolleyes:

SanSoo Student
01-15-2004, 02:50 AM
There are too many hard patches in sandbags, not enough soft spots. :p

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 03:59 AM
aw, quit yer whining and hit it. That is why I say that in MT you will get all the shin conditioning you ever need from simply kicking the bag. no need for rolling, kicking harder things, etc. as some people suggest.