PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen any of these videos?

IronFist
01-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Boxing videos (http://store.titleboxing.com/video-tapes---books-instructional-videos.html)

They seem pretty cheap. I think I might pick some up.

Pork Chop
01-15-2004, 05:54 AM
I've got the Ringside ones, there are only 3.
I was thinking about getting those from Title.
Lemme know if you find out they're any good.

IronFist
01-15-2004, 04:08 PM
I ordered 3 of them on DVD. At $9.99 each I couldn't resist. I got Heavybag work, Defense, and Boxing Basics. I'll post a review when I get them.

secondregime
02-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Did you get the video's yet? im intrested to see if they are any good.

truewrestler
02-09-2004, 02:39 PM
sweet... and the heavy bad DVD give advice on choosing a bag

I might just have to pick the same 3 :)

thanks!

Suntzu
02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
ttt

Pork Chop
02-09-2004, 03:11 PM
On a side note...

Just got in my King of the Cage & Gladiator's challenge dvds;
along with my University of Bas: Big Books of Combat 1 & 2, with cds, ultimate streetfighting dvd, and hokey 0 to dangerous tape.

I also recently got Fighter's Notebook, Fit to Fight, Smashing Machine, and a few tapes of Bas Rutten's Panther series.

Gotta say that the Panther tapes combined with the University of Bas has gotta be one of the most in-depth training supplements I've ever seen. Seeing him show the technique, hearing it 2 different ways, and reading up on it with pictures really paints a good picture- 'specially if you've already got some experience.

Still keeping an eye out for another thai training tape on the level of the millitech video- probly peter aerts', vut's, or sleeper's. Have at least 1 boxing instructional, but that's another one I probably wouldn't mind having more of. A good takedown vid would be nice, same with one on subs. Would be nice if Boston Sanshou put out a video.

What I'm REALLY looking for is a book or vid that covers fighting as a southpaw- specifically in kickboxing or sanshou, but even a boxing one would help.

IronFist
02-10-2004, 01:01 AM
How's Fit to Fight? I was thinking of getting that.

I got the DVD's. They're like this. This is all from memory cuz I watched them a few weeks ago. I meant to write reviews right after I watched them but I never got around to it. Next time I watch them I'll write better reviews.

1. Boxing Basics - alright. The trainer says to take a wide stance and be on your rear toe. The feet are wider than shoulder width. I think he said to keep the front foot in front of the lead hand. That's pretty far forward! I guess this is good for boxing but it's probably bad for MA. It shows the four punches and stuff. It's alright.

2. Heavybag work - meh. It's ok. It seems more like an ad to sell their bags because the guy doing the narration mentions more than once that heavy bags are good for "taking out frustration" or something like that. It starts with a guy drilling jab, cross, and hook on a heavy bag with a trainer calling out what he punch he should use. And then they demonstrate different kinds of bags, including one of those "BOB" bags (the torso bags with the face and torso) and they show this boxer like hopping around, lightly tapping (not hard enough to do anything) it every once in a while. At least I think it was a BOB bag. Maybe it was one of those water filled base bags that stands up on it's own. The point is, that exercise was ****ty for training and would only be decent for light cardio work. But they do show how to train boxing strikes on a heavy bag, but it's nothing you probably couldn't figure out yourself.

3. Defense - the best of the 3 DVD's I got. This one shows a different trainer who teaches a different stance than the really wide one up above. He covers blocking jabs, crosses, hooks, upper cuts, bobbing, weaving, ducking, etc. I liked this DVD a lot because I had no exposure to boxing defensive techniques before. He shows how to train them with a partner. It's cool because the two people in the video are a coach who used to be a pro boxer I think (I forgot his name), and a student who has only been training a few weeks. This is good because you can see a couple common mistakes the student makes (as a newbie) and then you can see how the coach corrects them. This points out mistakes you might be making instead of having like two pros demonstrate the technique and not mentioning mistakes at all. So, if you don't know about boxing defense strategy, I recommend this DVD. Besides, at $9.99 it's definately a good deal.

Overall, the production quality is excellent. Very good picture quality (for the DVDs. I don't know about the VHS). Everything is very clear.

There are short previews for each of the other DVDs in the series. I may check out the Counterpunching one in the future, cuz it looked pretty cool.

truewrestler
02-10-2004, 07:26 AM
BMore Banga, you might want to check out http://groundfighter.com/products/catid/27.html for the Muay Thai series by Duke Roufus. I haven't heard anything about it -- good or bad -- but all the other instructionals at by WMA get great reviews.

Pork Chop
02-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Like Fit to Fight so far.

Lots of good interviews at the end of it with popular trainers of various fight teams- including Lindland and Liddell's trainer at the Pit; even scrapper from the scrapper's workouts.

Some pretty good workouts- running the gammut from calisthenics to skills workouts. I'll have to get with Suntzu to see how it compares to Scrapper's and the rest.

Overall, the material that I have (ie all the books n tapes) seems pretty thin on ring strategy, especially when it comes to stand up fighting.

Thinking maybe friday and/or saturday i can get all my books & roundtable with my workout partners- maybe set up some routines & really pour through those books. If it happens, I'll put up a more in depth review.

Pork Chop
02-10-2004, 07:33 AM
truewrestler
Duke's a pimp.
Once I get outta debt I"m gettin that one.

Suntzu
02-10-2004, 09:04 AM
ttt....... don't get paid til friday...

BMB - good idea....

Suntzu
02-13-2004, 10:20 AM
^