PDA

View Full Version : Article on mouthguards

IronFist
01-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Kinda cool (http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=403).

I just found part 2 (http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=405).

I have one like the first one (top and bottom 1 piece) except mine is moldable.

CrippledAvenger
01-14-2004, 10:46 PM
I was under the impression that the Golden Gloves specifically asked fighters not to get the dentist mouthguards shown in the article, but recommends a more shock-absorbing design. You wear a mouthguard not only to prevent broken or lost teeth, but to keep you from getting knocked out as easily.

Then again, keep in mind that the author IS a dentist, so I don't blame him for saying what he's saying.

IronFist
01-15-2004, 12:10 AM
How does a mouthguard prevent getting knocked out?

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

How does a mouthguard prevent getting knocked out?

Your jaw gets knocked into the base of the skull. The air hole mouth guards prevent that.

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 05:33 AM
My only qualms with the airhole mouth guards are:

1. they are too big, making them uncomfortable.

2. even after being boiled, they don't always mold well, and it's easy to get your lip cut from the impact of taking a shot.

Oso
01-15-2004, 11:29 AM
agreed.

i'm actually using both the double and single offered at martialartsmart. they mold up well.

also, after I boiled the double I took a drill to the airhole to make it a little larger for easier breathing. much better.

but, I usually just use the single.

I had a wipps but it was a pain and I would gag on it.

seven, what do you use?

Suntzu
01-15-2004, 12:00 PM
smaller "whipps" are now available....

IronFist
01-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
2. even after being boiled, they don't always mold well, and it's easy to get your lip cut from the impact of taking a shot.

Yup. I had a cut on my lip that looked like a cold sore for a week or so cuz of this.

And I'd always get cuts on the inside of my lips, too, from them hitting the end of the mouthguard. Like my gums would be all bloody sometimes after rolling for a bit. It was annoying. A force against my face that normally wouldn't do anything, but because I was wearing a double mouthguard it caused my inner lips to get cut open. I was like wtf?

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
smaller "whipps" are now available....

I only roll big whips - on dubs and with spinners... OH, you mean the brainpad people!! Yeah, they have a small one called the lo pro. I definitely intend on getting one.

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Oso
agreed.

i'm actually using both the double and single offered at martialartsmart. they mold up well.

also, after I boiled the double I took a drill to the airhole to make it a little larger for easier breathing. much better.

but, I usually just use the single.

I had a wipps but it was a pain and I would gag on it.

seven, what do you use?

currently TKO.

Oh yeah, I have a third reason - I hate drinking saliva, or having to constantly pull the mouth guard out and rinse it.

Chang Style Novice
01-15-2004, 11:12 PM
An uninsured friend of mine wants to see if a mouthguard is a good option to help her with her problem of grinding her teeth in her sleep. Any thoughts?

SevenStar
01-15-2004, 11:45 PM
it'll help. in class, my MT coach uses a single mouthguard - it was one the army fitted him for to help with his habit of grinding his teeth in his sleep...

Chang Style Novice
01-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah, her problem is she can't afford a professionally made "Dental Splint" like that and is looking for cheaper options.

IronFist
01-16-2004, 01:37 AM
I grind my teeth, too, sometimes when I sleep. I hate it. My teeth hurt the next day when I wake up.

My dentist said this sometimes causes dreams that your teeth are falling out. I've had dreams like that before.

Actually, in my high school psychology class, we learned that teeth falling out is one of the top 10 or top 20 most common nightmares! :eek:

Oso
01-16-2004, 06:04 AM
thanks, seven.

hmmm, never had that dream.

shaolin kungfu
01-16-2004, 06:28 AM
That dream's pretty freaky, especially when accompanied by the devil taunting you.